Music Music Music!

raydavies

I don't need Blackbirds, I hold musical extravaganzas with our African Grey parrot. She whistles something and I whistle it back - it is a bit like Duelling Banjos but often lapses into language I couldn't mention on a public forum! I think it's TV that's corrupted her :oops:

Duelling Banjos

I remember a musician friend of mine who arrived late to gig in the midlands in time to hear the support act announcing his "much requested" final number: "Duelling Banjos". This was a solo artist using pre-recorded backing discs. He launched into frantic strumming on an accoustic guitar whilst the "duel" took place through left and right speakers by means of the backing track with no other input from him! The crowd loved it and went mad with whoops and applause. This caused my friend, who with his 5 piece band, had struggled through traffic and bad weather to get there from Kendal to say "Why do I bother!".

Ray

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Open mic evening at the tennis club, & I'm going again with my 'marvellous mechanical mouse organ' but not with Bagpuss.

Three saints' days in two months, so - 'Watching the Wheat' for David, 'The Meeting of the Waters' for Patrick, & 'A Place Called England' for George. Sadly, nostalgia isn't what is used to be .....

'The Meeting of the Waters' is the Vale of Avoca in Ireland, & is the location for 'Ballykissangel.'

PlymouthDave

First single - Jeepster by T.Rex (8/- 6d from Boots in Burton-on-Trent).

First Album - Deep Purple, Made in Japan

The most embarrasing album I bought was for my daughter - Honest - and it was Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
PlymouthDave said:
The most embarrasing album I bought was for my daughter - Honest - and it was Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers!!

Yeah.......................whatever Dave!

I bet you bought it for yourself! :lol:

Nigel

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
1st record I bought was Airbourne (can't remember the title) followed by Dancing in the City by Marshall Hayne,

Most fav records of all time are

1. Gerry Rafferty Baker St
2. Space Oddity by David Bowie
3. Bohemian Rapsody by Queen
4. PYT by Michael Jackson
5.Shine by Take That

Worst single I bought
Burdy song :lol: well I was one of them silly idiots who bought the single lol

First Album Specials by the Specials
Second Album Scary Monsters and super creeps by David Bowie

Best Concerts I have been to
U2 War tour 1982
Will Young 2008

Thom

First single - This is How it Feels - Inspiral Carpets (still one of my favs ever!!)

First Album - Blood Sugar Sex Magik - Red Hot Chili Peppers

First Gig - PWEI at Civic Hall Wolverhampton (Galaxian Patrol Tour 1992)

Listen to music of all kinds.

Favs at the moment are:

The Whitest Boy Alive.

Flaming Lips version of Dark Side of the Moon (Obviously not as good as the original but a **** good crack).

LCD Soundsystem.

Mumford and Sons.

The Hunt for IDA Wave. :twisted:

m4z

This makes me sound like I'm obsessed with AC/DC - but I like more general rock (nice to see a Rush fan up above!):

First single: Rock n Roll Ain't Noise Pollution b/w Hells Bells - AC/DC

First Album: Back in Black - AC/DC

First gig (when I was actually allowed out on my own at 16 in 1988) : Three guesses.....

Yep - AC/DC!!

*feels a bit of a saddo now*

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
First music - record by Winifred Atwell on her piano.
Played on a wind up gramaphone which had to be supervised to keep it going over the "78"?

Loved Queen
" Tina Turner

Now particularly love C&W
Emmie Lou Harris
Willie Nelson
Merle Haggard

Went to a Take That concert in Dublin with my daughter, very nervous. Thought I would be about the only pensioner there but pleasantly surprised to find a real mix of the generations.
Seems the "in" chant by the young girls = Gary, I want to have your babies!

Very unseemly! But then I suppose we were to our parents in our day. :lol:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
First music - record by Winifred Atwell on her piano.
Played on a wind up gramaphone which had to be supervised to keep it going over the "78"?
My older brother was a fan of WA - especially her 'other piano.'

We also had a wind-up grammaphone - I preferred songs - we had records of Peter Dawson (my grandfather sang with him when he came to Southampton) & especially Paul Robeson.