Knee replacement and Diabetes 2 on insulin

Nadya123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Knee replacement and Diabetes 2 on insulin. Who had such operation? Please , could you share your experience with me?
It is time to give my consent for operation. I am scared! I am tall 6 feet, overweight ( stomach). Diabetes is in control. HbA1c=52 .

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sure you'll do fine with your operation on your knee. The physio's give you support and information as to what to do after the operation etc. You'll be able to walk, probably with crutches, very quickly after the operation. Be sure to listen to the professional's advice regarding exercising, walking a bit further each day etc. By approx 6 months you will feel a new person but you will feel the benefit long before that. Your chronic pain will probably go straight away but, of course, things will be a little bit sore so be sure to take regular painkillers, as prescribed, so that pain doesn't stop you exercising. :)

Good luck and I'll be watching out for your posts letting us know how you are progressing. Well done!!!

Nadya123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Nadya123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure you'll do fine with your operation on your knee. The physio's give you support and information as to what to do after the operation etc. You'll be able to walk, probably with crutches, very quickly after the operation. Be sure to listen to the professional's advice regarding exercising, walking a bit further each day etc. By approx 6 months you will feel a new person but you will feel the benefit long before that. Your chronic pain will probably go straight away but, of course, things will be a little bit sore so be sure to take regular painkillers, as prescribed, so that pain doesn't stop you exercising. :)

Thank you for your support. I have an appointment with my consultant on 9.th of November. My mobility is bad now. My knee can be locked any time and to straight it very painful (it takes 2-3 hours) . I wear knee brace and take my stick everywhere with me.
But firstly I have to get my shoulder bone shaving or I will be not able to use crutches after knee operation. Shoulder is continuously inflamed, because shoulder cup is rubbing tissues. I am in waiting list.
Bad shoulders is impact of diabetes.
Yes, I will write here, how it will going.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
There is a lady I recall who had a knee replacement.
I will tag her in the hope that she will reply. @HazelD, another member too @Patricia21
This is a thread about her operation
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/replacement-knee.71610/
You will see in the thread that other members have had this operation.
Yes I had a knee replacement and am T2. Not a problem I had to wait about 5 hours before my op...didn't have any food but could drink water..they took my blood G and it was well within their limits... nothing to worry about.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Shoulder is continuously inflamed, because shoulder cup is rubbing tissues. I am in waiting list.
Bad shoulders is impact of diabetes.
Yes, I will write here, how it will going.
So sorry you have shoulder problems too. I had no idea diabetes could affect shoulders. Please would you tell us more about this? I have lots of problems with both my shoulders which started about 30+ yrs ago when I fell backwards on a dry ski slope and apparently ruptured both rotator cuffs. Even now, I have problems and pain. When I had a severe ankle injury and was non-weight bearing for 10 weeks, I just couldn't use crutches at all so ended up 'hopping' with a wheely frame :( So, I can understand the need to sort your shoulders out before your knee op. I do hope all goes well, and to plan. Chronic pain is difficult to cope with

Looking forward to hearing about progress, of course. Needless to say, the less weight you carry, the easier everything will be regarding your operations, using crutches and regaining some mobility. Hopefully, that's a good motivation for you, or anyone else :)