Type 1s: How do you explain a hypo to non-diabetics?

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've always wondered how others explain it. I've heard the whole "makes you feel drunk" thing, but I don't really think it does

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I imagine it affects different people in different ways so not easy to explain

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
As a child it was always explained to me by my parents the feelings I had were just the same as when adults were tipsy. I didn't like the feeling so never drank in adult life. :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If someone doesn't know, offer them a shot of insulin to find out* ;)

*No, don't, obviously never give someone else insulin as it is extremely dangerous and could cause death...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just run through a list of the symptoms, which (for me) are wobbly knees, shaky hands, lost words, lost thoughts, blankness, apathy, bad decision making, numb cheekbones, drained feeling, unwilling to self test/treat (occasionally) and sometimes blinding rage and a desperate struggle not to physically attack the person who is nearest and most annoying (i.e. breathing in the vicinity). A few times I have had a rather pretty spangly light show in the corners of my eyes.

I never expect people to understand, but Mr B, having seen a few of my hypos now, has a very good understanding of the best thing to do - he tells me that I may be hypoing, and then he vacates the area.

The worst possible thing he can do (we have learned this by experience) is to tell me I am hypoing, and instruct me to eat something. That way lies disaster and potential violence.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've always wondered how others explain it. I've heard the whole "makes you feel drunk" thing, but I don't really think it does

I don't think people can understand unless they've experienced one. I think many people assume it's just like the slightly weak low blood sugar feeling they may have had when they miss a meal or something. When I was diagnosed, I assumed it was like that - until I had one.

So if anyone asks me, I make sure I explain that it's more than that, and that hypos can be serious. I also take the opportunity to stress what the treatment is in case anyone thinks it's more insulin!

If you're asking what symptoms to warn friends about, then I always mention sweating and confusion/slowness first, as I think these are most noticeable to any observer.

claire mccann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Brunneria-so so agree the worst thing people do is tell me I'm hypoing-I never respond positively (particularly if I know the individual well!!) it's completely irrational and quite mortifying after the event but it's like something has taken hold!! Thankfully once I've eaten normal behaviour returns!

StefanR95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried explaining what a hypo felt like to my sister but couldn't explain it. I had two hypos that were 2.7/2.8 and it gave me one of the worst headaches imaginable. I had to get my mum to test me and it took over an hour to get back over 4.

Other times I don't feel hypos, or I will talk a lot and get shaky and sweat

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A lot of non diabetics can and probably have experienced something close maybe in the morning when they wake up hungry, especially after a night of drinking, so just like that but a bit more extreme....lol

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning my beautiful friends, I hope that you are all very well today.

When I try to explain to a non diabetic what a hypo is and what it feels like, I make sure I begin by explaining that there is a difference between a hypoglycemia and a clinical hypoglycemia.

A hypoglycemia is something that everyone might feel at some point from the lack of food or a delayed/skipped meal. The body has the ability, on its own, to restore this hypoglycemic episode.

Contrary to this, type 1 diabetics experience clinical hypoglycemia. This is something that a non diabetic will never experience. During a clinical hypoglycemia, the body is unable to respond and rectify the problem on its own and this is our Achilles heel.

As a result of this we get
· Heart palpitations
· Fatigue
· Pale skin
· Shakiness, anxiety, nonspecific dysphoria, moodiness, depression, crying, exaggerated concerns, negativism, irritability, belligerence, combativeness, rage
· Sweating
· Hunger
· Confusion, memory loss, lightheadedness, or dizziness.
· Personality change.
· Difficulty speaking, slurred speech
· Ataxia, incoordination, sometimes mistaken for drunkness
· Tingling sensation around the mouth
· Crying out during sleep (this happens to me, most of the times, during a nocturnal hypoglycemic episode)

As hypoglycemia worsens, signs and symptoms may include:
· Inability to complete routine tasks
· Visual disturbances, such as blurred vision, staring, glassy look, double vision, flashes of light in the field of vision
· Seizures

If clinical hypoglycemia remains untreated, the brain “shuts down”; we lose consciousness and enter a (diabetic) coma.
To someone who will never experience a clinical hypoglycemia, I try to describe it as something that resembles asphyxia and/or heart failure.

The most important thing for me, is not for them to understand it; I know they never will.
For me, the most important thing is to be able to detect it, respect it and offer me assistance when/if needed.

Regards
Josephine

Last edited:
M

mist

Good morning my beautiful friends, I hope that you are all very well today.

When I try to explain to a non diabetic what a hypo is and what it feels like, I make sure I begin by explaining that there is a difference between a hypoglycemia and a clinical hypoglycemia.

A hypoglycemia is something that everyone might feel at some point from the lack of food or a delayed/skipped meal. The body has the ability, on its own, to restore this hypoglycemic episode.

Contrary to this, type 1 diabetics experience clinical hypoglycemia. This is something that a non diabetic will never experience. During a clinical hypoglycemia, the body is unable to respond and rectify the problem on its own and this is our Achilles heel.

As a result of this we get
· Heart palpitations
· Fatigue
· Pale skin
· Shakiness, anxiety, nonspecific dysphoria, moodiness, depression, crying, exaggerated concerns, negativism, irritability, belligerence, combativeness, rage
· Sweating
· Hunger
· Confusion, memory loss, lightheadedness, or dizziness.
· Personality change.
· Difficulty speaking, slurred speech
· Ataxia, incoordination, sometimes mistaken for drunkness
· Tingling sensation around the mouth
· Crying out during sleep (this happens to me, most of the times, during a nocturnal hypoglycemic episode)

As hypoglycemia worsens, signs and symptoms may include:
· Inability to complete routine tasks
· Visual disturbances, such as blurred vision, staring, glassy look, double vision, flashes of light in the field of vision
· Seizures

If clinical hypoglycemia remains untreated, the brain “shuts down”; we lose consciousness and enter a (diabetic) coma.
To someone who will never experience a clinical hypoglycemia, I try to describe it as something that resembles asphyxia and/or heart failure.

The most important thing for me, is not for them to understand it; I know they never will.
For me, the most important thing is to be able to detect it, respect it and offer me assistance when/if needed.

Regards
Josephine

I can't hold a persons attention long enough to explain all that..:D

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Utter confusion to the extent that i am not capable to add up simple maths like 2 fingers held out in front of me. And the feeling of depression.

The odd person has said that they would give me insulin and my response was How Much? That gets them thinking and i then tell them that giving insulin would make matters worse and then tell them how to treat me and where i keep my supplies for such treatment. To be hongest a lot of people still dont understand this.

Apart from being able to detect a low myself my wife and brothr inlaw ( fishing partner) are my close experts in detecting my hypo's, quite often before me or simultaneously.

Regards
Martin