vitamin B

sally2010

Hi.....I'm new here ..hopefully i'm writing in the correct section ...I have a question , please ...
My doctor recommend vitamin B for me , claiming it will help to control my blood suger , is that true ?? I'm not convinced .

lilibet

Couldnt swear against it, but Ive not heard it helps control bg per se.
If it did , we would all be on it. :D I know in terms of supplements that chromium is supposed to help with it.
When I was first diagnosed someone mentioned this to me as being good as helping bg. Made me laugh (as a T1) as of course, only thing going to help me is insulin

I know that Benfotiamine (vit b derived) is often used by those with complications relating to neuropathy but whether it helps otherwise, I couldnt say

I do know that those on metformin can become deplete in vit b (B12?) so if you are on Metformin maybe this is what he means.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sally. Itake a vit Bcomplex which has stopped the pins and needles that I used to get which I assumed were the start of neuropathy but not diagnosed.I dont think it helped the BGS but I dont really know.

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
When I first joined this forum, I read a post about Vitamin B helping to prevent the onset of neuropathy, so I've been taking a supplement every day since then. So far, so good....

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I take Benfotomaine daily (2 tablets) but I still suffer from pains in my hands and feet. :(

I will persevere with them for a while longer though; I guess as a super vit B supplement they can't be doing me any harm..............trouble is, I cannot honestly say they are doing me any good either. :?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Ardbeg I did some reasearch on B12 sorry cant rember which site I found but it gave a list of b vits along with folic acid that you need to take for best results I found one called Life plan vit b complex timed release this was the nearest to the advice on the net and it has helped me enormously . CAROL

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I take a b-vitamin complex after reading some time back that it is beneficial to people with diabetes. As it contains low doses of each b-vitamin, I don't see any harm being done in the long-term.

Interesting discussion so far! :)

Nigel