Permanent Cure

antwipeter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't want anything associated with acohol
i really want to know if there is a permanent cure for Type 1 Diabetes or one has to manage and stay with it for the rest of your life?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @antwipeter Welcome to the forum - can you confirm if you are type 1 or type 2 as your profile states you use tablets to control your condition which would indicate you are in fact type 2, type 1 is controlled by insulin only. If so I can move your post into the type 2 forum where others can post on this ?

Reactions: azure

ckneppel

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
No cure for Type 1 or Type 2, only managed. For Prediabetes, possibly, if caught early enough via LCHF diet, but takes years according to my doc.

Humma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
internet.jpg

chrisf-1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No there is currently no cure
I was recently in hospital with a man on the same ward who told me was a type 1 diabetic who needed a liver transplant and the surgeon who did it said he could have his pancreas done at the same time and he was now no longer diabetic as a result is this ********? I do not not know maybe someone could tell me Chris

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was recently in hospital with a man on the same ward who told me was a type 1 diabetic who needed a liver transplant and the surgeon who did it said he could have his pancreas done at the same time and he was now no longer diabetic as a result is this ********? I do not not know maybe someone could tell me Chris

You can receive a pancreas transplant. It's not got that high a success rate. As with any major organ transplant the procedure itself carries a high mortality risk, then you have to take life long immunosuppressants which carry strong risks of causing damage to your kidneys. A pancreas transplant might in some type 1 diabetics work to produce insulin for a little while and might even allow a period off insulin. But it's not a cure and the insulin production from a transplanted pancreas in a type 1 diabetic has a limited lifespan of up to 10 years (on very best estimates, if you are exceedingly lucky) so you would end up back on insulin eventually, and you would have to continue taking immunosuppressants (which are basically lifelong chemotherapy).

So no, it's not bullsh*t but it is very much a last resort usually only offered to diabetics who are already waiting for a liver or kidney transplant. And it's not a cure. And it carries its own very significant risks.

M

mist

I'm an organ donor, will anybody want my pancreas? It might be somewhat radioactive too..:D

:eek:

S

Shar67

I'm an organ donor, will anybody want my pancreas? It might be somewhat radioactive too..:D

:eek:
Can i have it, i think my body had been zapped enough for a radioactive one to help, i also need liver and stomach. Maybe i should just go for a full head transplant.

M

mist

Can i have it, i think my body had been zapped enough for a radioactive one to help, i also need liver and stomach. Maybe i should just go for a full head transplant.

You may certainly have it, but you must know that you will inherit my superpowers!

These include, but are not limited to:

Talking with my mouthful
Spending extended periods of time on the toilet
Finding the taste of toothpaste overly pleasant
And copious amounts of knuckle cracking.

If you accept these, then you are welcome to whatever you like.

:D

Reactions: Dodo

Ladybird1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i really want to know if there is a permanent cure for Type 1 Diabetes or one has to manage and stay with it for the rest of your life?

Hi, I've had Type 1 for 53 years now, been injecting since age of 4. I wish there was a cure but alas there isn't one, it's a lifelong condition

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some posts in this thread have been deleted. Please be aware that there is no current cure for Type 1.

Reactions: mahola
S

Shar67

You may certainly have it, but you must know that you will inherit my superpowers!

These include, but are not limited to:

Talking with my mouthful
Spending extended periods of time on the toilet
Finding the taste of toothpaste overly pleasant
And copious amounts of knuckle cracking.

If you accept these, then you are welcome to whatever you like.

:D
Well as i have no enzymes produced by panc Im already on toilet for long periods, plus as the bathroom has tiles that are cold i like laying on floor. I love toothpaste. I rub it over my tongue. I dont knuckle crack but i do neck cracks. Ive had 4 MRI scans, 50 CAT scans and a huge number of ultra sound scans. I must be a bit radioactive

M

mist

Well as i have no enzymes produced by panc Im already on toilet for long periods, plus as the bathroom has tiles that are cold i like laying on floor. I love toothpaste. I rub it over my tongue. I dont knuckle crack but i do neck cracks. Ive had 4 MRI scans, 50 CAT scans and a huge number of ultra sound scans. I must be a bit radioactive

We have much in common. We should have dinner together..:D

Reactions: Dodo and Shar67
M

mist

Even if there were a cure, it would never see the light of day! Think about how much revenue diabetes alone makes the big pharma!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't see there being one for our generation either. I hope they find one for my girl or any future grandkids of mine that are unlucky enough to inherit my genes :)

I'm hopeful :) There are a number of things that are being worked on, and I like to think one of those will work - and not too far in the future.

It can get frustrating waiting but I like to stay optimistic :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't see there being one for our generation either. I hope they find one for my girl or any future grandkids of mine that are unlucky enough to inherit my genes :)

If nothing else that is my wish too @mahola