Very thin and crispy pizza

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have one of these every week in a moroccan style bar and they are excellent. Furthermore, they can be made by anyone and, for most type 2s, diabetes friendly. The secret is, to use wholegrain tortilla wraps as the base. There are two ways to cook these, either in an oven or in a skillet and then, if required, finished off under a grill.

Tortilla wraps have a glycaemic load of about 80. Compare that with 2 slices of bread in a sandwich which comes out around 260. Wholewheat tortilla wraps have a GL or 40 - 50. This page gives the GI, not GL, of a wholewheat tortilla as 30.

http://www.we-be-healthy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Glycemic-Index-We-Be-Healthy.pdf

The difference between GL and GI is that GI is a measurement of the carbs relative to white sugar where sugar is 100. GL is related to portion sizes, in this case, the value of a pizza base, which you can see is considerably lower than a couple of slices of bread. Tortilla wraps make really crips and thin pizzas and if you chose your topping carefully, they taste fantastic.

tortillapizzas7feat.jpg

Reactions: SWUSA_

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
WAY too many carbs for me. I would either just eat the toppings or make it at home and use just the topping and heat

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Fathead pizza crust tasted great, no grains and very low carb.