Bread or Crackers

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good evening its me again asking for your help and advice,I am eating 4 slices of bread a day and would like to replace it with these crackers,what do you all think .Thank you

Bread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crackers

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your meter will give you a better answer than anyone here can.
Those crackers look OK to me as long as you only have one or two a day and incorporate them into your total carb allowance for the day. You may manage 3 or 4, but you may not manage any, so let your meter tell you.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

The crackers might not do you any harm, but they wont do you any good.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Both best avoided if you want my opinion. Try a Lidl high protein roll if you must have some kind of bread.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was about to say that's way better to but the fresh bread from a bakery, but both are industrial products - the problem in my opinion with industrial products is the surprise ingredients they put in (
read preservatives or oils. I tried once to make bread starting from wholegrain wheat, water, salt and yeast and the results are pretty good! Unfortunately it's a bit labour and energy intensive make them.

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
I have just discovered NuMe crispbakes from Morrisons, just 5g of carbs each. I have a couple with a bit of cheese and tomato for lunch, followed by a handful of nuts - seems to keep my meter happy. Sometimes though I do have a chicken sandwich with 2 slices Burgen bread instead as I do like a bit of variety. If I'm not working it is easy enough to have scrambled egg or omelette for lunch. As others say, it's always best to check your meter when trying new foods.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LivlLife Linseed and Soya bread is lower carb than Bergan. The load is small, a slice is 3.8gm Carb and it tastes lovely. I have to resist unless I need to bring my glucose levels up a bit so a peanut butter sandwich (really small) is a lovely, useful treat ;)
http://www.livlifefoods.co.uk/ Waitrose usually stock this but also available from Amazon!!! :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know you have mentioned bread or crackers before, and generally been advised that the less you have the better in terms of carbs, but I just wanted to ask why you feel you need to have them at all?

If the goal is as a vehicle for cheese or pate, then they can both be eaten alone, or with a salad. In fact pate on slices of tomato or on celery is delicious.

It is years since I ate bread regularly (because it always sends my blood glucose to high) but I really believe that getting out of the 'bread is necessary' mindset is a great help in the early days of diagnosis. Having to switch to low carb breads, or lower carb crackers is a pain in the butt, and always makes me feel deprived of the 'real' stuff.

On the other hand, embracing the low carb mindset is strangely liberating. I mean, who would actually want a boring old slice of toast if the alternative is scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, or ham and cream cheese rollups, or mozzarella and beef tomatoes with black olives and drizzle of balsamic vinegar... Low Carb can easily become a kind of Foodie Heaven, if we approach it right. :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's possible and quite easy to make low carb "bread" and muffins, which are full of good, healthy non spikey low carb foods: flour from nuts or seeds, butter or other oils, and eggs.

Robbity

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
but I just wanted to ask why you feel you need to have them at all?

Cos I like them my friend it little bit of what you fancy does you good,but only in moderation

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or alternately a little of what you fancied got you to where you are today.. It might be worth taking a look at what you eat and making some changes to not only stop it progressing but maybe even reversing it to some extent.
I like jammy doughnuts, crusty bread and cake but there is no way I'd eat them now knowing what I know.. I'm far too attached to my eyes and feet.

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
Have too say, I swapped the bread and crackers for salad :couchpotato:. Something I never thought I'd say.

Lidl rolls rock too....!

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@bulkbiker with respect I am a physically fit 72 years of age I walk at least 5 nikes with my dog every day,I hsve cut out all sugar,cakes .biscuits,sweets Meat,and all processed food I have 2 to slices of Soya & linseed bread every other ,one poached egg on toast,one day and porridge and kippers on alternating days for breakfast,I have broccoli and cauliflower and fish ie fresh salmon,haddock, ie tomatoes,Romaine lettuce,a cube of Edam,peppers I have grilled chicken (no skin) or turkey both white meat,at this moment in time I am on a learning curve after 3 weeks

ps I respect your knowledge and help and advice,but I am proud of the way I have changed my entire diet in just 3 weeks and everything I have changed,enjoy your evening my friend

Reactions: 75Bedford

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cos I like them my friend it little bit of what you fancy does you good,but only in moderation
It's entirely up to you what you choose to eat, so why take up other people's precious time asking for advice when you've apparently already decided on your course of action?

Many of us have given up foods we really enjoyed because we actually value our health above a few mouthfuls of carbohydrate, as @bulkbiker has just told you. Sometimes it's hard to do but often it's necessary.

Robbity

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker with respect I am a physically fit 72 years of age I walk at least 5 nikes with my dog every day,I hsve cut out all sugar,cakes .biscuits,sweets Meat,and all processed food I have 2 to slices of Soya & linseed bread every other ,one poached egg on toast,one day and porridge and kippers on alternating days for breakfast,I have broccoli and cauliflower and fish ie fresh salmon,haddock, ie tomatoes,Romaine lettuce,a cube of Edam,peppers I have grilled chicken (no skin) or turkey both white meat,at this moment in time I am on a learning curve after 3 weeks

ps I respect your knowledge and help and advice,but I am proud of the way I have changed my entire diet in just 3 weeks and everything I have changed,enjoy your evening my friend
Why have you cut out meat? poached egg on bacon is much nicer..

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@wiseowl_123 Let your meter be your guide :) Some Type 2s can eat moderate amounts of bread/crackers with no issues, otgers can't. The aim is to keep your blood sugar in range.

It sounds like you've made a very good start :) I think you said on another thread that you were a little nervous about getting a meter? Don't be :) It will be your friend and inform you as to how foods affect you. Knowledge is power :)

This forum supports all dietary choices. We're all individuals and one size doesn't fit all.

You could also add oatcakes to your 'things to try' list and see how they affect you. It's a case of personal experimentation, I'm afraid.

Good luck :)

andyfh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Both best avoided if you want my opinion. Try a Lidl high protein roll if you must have some kind of bread.
I was a big fan of the Lidl rolls until I discovered Livlife bread at less than 4g carbs per slice.

I now reserve the Lidl roll for my Sunday morning treat with lots of bacon and a dollop of brown sauce.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes lidl rolls grilled bacon poached egg Can life get any better

Yes it can get better if you add a Black Farmers sausage, a tomato, mushrooms and a small dollop of HP sauce :) Oh and the egg must be fried for me!