cheapest flash / CGM meter

jackvdbuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

im currently in a bad position with my Diabetes having had it for 25 years (Im 27!) and looking to get some insight into what my sugars are doing more often so looking to get a CGM ..

looking at prices the libre (flash glucose meter) is cheapest at £160 for a starter kit plus £120 per month..big money but i think it will help me.

are there any cheaper methods? i remember someone on here was making their own pads for a meter to save on costs. it was a while ago though,

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
are there any cheaper methods? i remember someone on here was making their own pads for a meter to save on costs. it was a while ago though,

I don't think so - CGMs don't come with "pads" they come with sensors that you inject into you. Doesn't sound like a thing I would want a diy version of.

I think libre is the cheapest method. Lots of clinics have offered free trials of the libre so you might want to get in touch with your DSN to see if that's something that would be available to you.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@jackvdbuk actually nearer £100/month as you can exempt from the VAT. Also keep an eye on the Libr FB group for free delivery codes.

Reactions: jackvdbuk

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just started using the libre. Even if you use one sensor a month for example, that'll give you something to work with..

It's been a massive help for me. My average bg was about 10 the week before using it. I'm 3 weeks in and my last week average was 5.6.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With the Libre you don't need to buy the starter kit if you plan on using your smartphone to monitor - all instructions for applying can be found online, and the only difference between a sensor box and the starter kit is that the starter comes with instructions and a monitoring device. I use my phone as it's a lot simpler, and regret wasting money on the starter kit!

Reactions: jackvdbuk

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From memory @tim2000s did a thread comparing the different cgms and their startup costs and the info they give.

Sorry Tim, I can't find the thread. Maybe you can find it? :)

From what I can recall the Libre was a low startup cost but more expensive in the long run - but only if ran continuously.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With the Libre you don't need to buy the starter kit if you plan on using your smartphone to monitor - all instructions for applying can be found online, and the only difference between a sensor box and the starter kit is that the starter comes with instructions and a monitoring device. I use my phone as it's a lot simpler, and regret wasting money on the starter kit!
When you buy the sensors individually, they also come with the application instructions.

jackvdbuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@jackvdbuk actually nearer £100/month as you can exempt from the VAT. Also keep an eye on the Libr FB group for free delivery codes.

good to know thank you!

thats pretty good so it should only be £100 per month? i say "only" with a shudder!

many thanks all, i will look into libre further, really appreciate everyones help.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
In the next few weeks the standalone, real time guardian cgm will be available. It looks to be about double the price of the libre.. but it
works directly to ios. It also allows if a parent for remote checking from your bedroom to a childs bedroom at night!! Saves getting up.

Some hospitals are giving away a sensor and a reader free of charge for T1's to try. Phone your dsn at hospital and ask if they are doing it. It gives you one free sensor and a free reader. (To keep).

The guardian officially launched on 1st Dec. It is however, for my hospital, as mine is being funded for 3 months taking a time for the rep and them to establish pricing etc. It is the same size as a libre but no reader, just to phone direct and does not need a receiver like other cgms and it is standalone too (not needing a pump). It alarms when going high or low without the need to scan.

It should (I'm advised) be wearable in belly as well as arm or leg...

I have to also await an appt for training when they get the funding sorted... so will likely be new year before sorted for me.

The US price states about $217.... but price here to be confirmed.

Reactions: Energize