Feeling sick

clare85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just wondering if anybody has any ideas...I've been feeling sick all day and not really sure why. I don't think it's a stomach bug as eating actually helps and doesn't make it worse. I checked my ketones and they're 0.3 I know this isn't dangerous but it is a bit higher than it normally is..is this slight increase enough to make me feel sick??

Reactions: SWUSA_

saraelbanaxx

Ketones are a very dangerous thing because if they are high, they will make you feel sick. Have you tried contacting your diabetes team/nurse or dialling 111 if ur in the UK?? They'll be more better equipped to help you!
And get well soon

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would ask what your levels are. Ketones from nutritional ketosis in a non-insulin using type 2 are almost never dangerous as long as they stay less than 5 mmol. Most people in ketosis are between .5 and about 2. Ketoacidosis is very dangerous but is a very different thing and is high levels of ketones like over 10 combined with very high blood sugar.

If your blood sugar is high and your ketones are over 5 then it is time to call your doctor.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was 10 this morning 16 midday and back to 10 now. Felt awful this morning:(
The fact you're BG has been at 10, gone to 16 and then back to 10 has you in a "higher than ideal" range for your blood sugar. This could lead to a sense of nausea, as a direct effect of having high BG. However you can't rule out all the other factors that a non-diabetic may have as well.

If 10's and 16's are out of character for your normal BG's - then that may be why you're feeling unwell.

I hope you get better soon @clare85 :)

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Yes any high sugar level and/or can make you feel ill. If your glucose is high take insulin. If it is only you ketones that are up then it might be that you are dehydrated so drink a lot and that should flush them out and make you feel better:)

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Are you on medication to lower your blood glucose? I always feel unwell when my blood glucose is that high but then again my blood glucose always goes up when I am sick or in pain or stressed. Do you know what elavated your glucose?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Ketones of .3 is not even high enough to be in nutritional ketosis. Pretty much everyone has that level from time to time. That is a completely normal reading.