bloated

rkeane

Hi,
Bn type 1 for 2 yrs now. Haven't bn above 7% so feel that I am quite controlled since first diagnosed. After the first year I had put on a stone, which I was told was very normal. I am not overweight. 9 stone and 5foot 3. However, the last month or so, I have found that I have been uncomfortably bloated. I haven't changed my diet and I do eat very healthily.I have always suffered from slight constipation and have had it for the last few weeks again. I was wondering if anyone has ever felt uncomfortably bloated and if it may have anything to do with the type of insulin I'm on. Novorapid/levimir.Thanks

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm not an insulin user, but perhaps you might try to increase your fibre and your water.
psyllium husk is what Bernstein recommends. Drinking plenty of water is a good thing. I wouldn't use an irritant to relieve constipation. If you have it ask your pharmacist for the psyllium or another bulking agent.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have felt bloated before - it's down to me drinking beer with a meal. So now I stick to wine with food.

Can't say I've ever heard of insulin causing bloatedness... best ask your doctor.

jane Davies

Hi my daughter is 16 and has lately been experiencing exactly the same, bloating and an uncomfortable feeling in the stomach, I have taken her to the gp 5 times as sometimes she has quite severe pain, they just dont seem to know. it isnt a wheat intolerance apparently and dosent seem to be IBs, i am taking her to her diabetic consultant fri, will let you know, do you have any other symptoms lately? she says she also feels dizzy sometimes and has blurred vision.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jane, this might not be relevant as I'm sure there are many other possibilities but stomach aches , dizzyness, and blurred vision could be a result of high glucose levels. Is your daughter checking regularly and always taking the appropriate amount of insulin, is she losing weight ?

jane Davies

The strange thing is her blood sugar readings arent any different from normal, and actually they have been better lately, think i might ask for some blood tests to be done again to see if there is some kind of hormone imbalance. She has started taking the pill and i half wonder if that has unbalanced the whole thing, Add to that, teenage angst, mood swings, diabetes and a boyfriend plus gcse time and i suppose its not really surprising !

rkeane

Would be great to hear back Jane. Hve cut down greatly on bread lately and am feeling some sort of relief. I have been stresed with work lately too so maybe that has something to do with it.Funny u mention that your daughters blood sugars are good because mine are great and getting better!! Best of luck in docs.

jane Davies

went to the docs AGAIN today as I had to pick my daughter up from school due to dizziness/blurred vision. They think it is a diabetes issue but may also be connected to the fact that she has begun taking the contraceptive pill. when she went on it the doc that gave it to her assured us it does not interfere with diabetes, I am now beginning to wonder.. have read some posts on the forum where women taking it experience similar problems, she also still has the bloating and stomach pains, anyway have an appt with the diabetes consultant tommorow am so will hopefuly know more then...

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
The risks associated with taking the oral contraceptive pill are the same for women with diabetes as those without diabetes, although some women do experience a slight deterioration in control when they first start using this method of contraception. This can be easily monitored and controlled by a slight change in their regime.

There can also be other effects which may be related to the problems your daughter is getting. Discuss with the Endo and see what is said.

A GP or family planning clinic will ensure that the contraceptive pill is an appropriate treatment for any woman regardless of whether they have diabetes or not.

Ken.

jane Davies

Well, have has some success with this bloated issue, they say it is due to acid being produced in the stomach and inflaming the stomach lining, they have given her Ranitidine for 6 weeks in a sugar free solution. All other problems due to too strong pill apparently, hope this helps those with bloating.

rkeane

Glad to hear u got something back Jane. Just woundering if there is anything specific causing the acid in the stomach? Or is it the pill? Interesting all the same. Thanks

jane Davies

Hi, they seemed to think it is two separate issues and that the tummy trouble is not due to the pill but is food related. Im thinking of doing a food allergy test with a company someone recommended, They had great success and it turned out they were allergic to eggs, its a couple of hundred quid though to do the test!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
jane Davies said:
Hi, they seemed to think it is two separate issues and that the tummy trouble is not due to the pill but is food related. Im thinking of doing a food allergy test with a company someone recommended, They had great success and it turned out they were allergic to eggs, its a couple of hundred quid though to do the test!

I am not sure if it is available on the NHS, but have you asked your gp if this test is available, £200 is a lot of money!

Nigel