Type 1 Where to buy alpha lipoic acid?

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using nature's best ala 300mg at 600mg per day and feel subjectively it helps my neuropathy. About to reorder and wondered if anyone has particular recommendations for either ala or r-ala suppliers please?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been using nature's best ala 300mg at 600mg per day and feel subjectively it helps my neuropathy. About to reorder and wondered if anyone has particular recommendations for either ala or r-ala suppliers please?
I get some from Amazon but not sure if it's the best deal or not.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy all my supplements from Amazon nowadays, and mainly from just one named brand that I know is a decent quality. I am very suspicious of all the pop up cheap supplement brands that are available nowadays. And I want my supplements supplied in brown glass, not plastic.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I buy all my supplements from Amazon nowadays, and mainly from just one named brand that I know is a decent quality. I am very suspicious of all the pop up cheap supplement brands that are available nowadays. And I want my supplements supplied in brown glass, not plastic.
Which brand do you buy from Amazon then please?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I buy r-ala 80%, any brand. I hope that helps. Can be expensive but reduces my insulin need by a third.

Reactions: Freema

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy Doctors Best from bodykind seems to work and has excellent service reasonably priced
CAROL

Reactions: ickihun

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Another purchaser of Solgar here :) ALA is expensive so it's a decision between what brands are good quality while still being a reasonable price.

No idea if my choice is right or if I'd get the same quality for less money, but I only take a small daily dose so it's ok for me.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I use the LifeExtension r-ALA, Benfotiamine and Vitamin D & K mix. I get it from Amazon and am very happy with it.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
also use Lamberts Healthcare (aka Natures Best) because I have known of the company for decades, and they manufacture in the UK

Reactions: col101

Myrrhsea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use Bulkpowders and Myprotein for pure powders with no additives. One or both of them sell it.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm fairly sure these are mixed ALA rather than r-ALA though.

If you take the r-ALA can you take a lower dose and does it work out cheaper?

I looked at r-ALA but was put off by the price.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Try Healthmonthly.co.uk - they do free postage and I have always found them to be reliable.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you take the r-ALA can you take a lower dose and does it work out cheaper?
The studies that have been done indicate the use of 600-800mg per day of R-ALA as this is the form the body can use, but equally, most of them used intravenous infusion rather than oral administration, so it's unclear as to how much you'd need orally.

Reactions: col101 and azure