Kit bags for teenagers

carob29

Hi all just wanted some help or ideas about my 13 year old daughter and what she can use to carry all her insulin, meters, needles ect around. You know what teenage girls are like!!

leggott

Hi, my little girl has hers in a toilet bag which I bought in Boots. Hers is a pink 'Soap & Glory' bag which zips up and isn't too big. She uses this for school & when she goes to friends. When we are out I tend to have to carry it all in my handbag!

hismom

hi my son is 13 too. he uses a messanger bag which has lots of pockets. It means he can keep his insulin etc away from everything else.

steph

pafandral

My 12 year old son has been through several variations of the kitbag since diagnosis 2 + years ago Since he transferred to secondary school we have settled on using pencil cases.

They are not too embarrassing to be seen with as all school kids use them. They can be bought in a whole heap of colours/designs. All your mates know what it is if they need to get it for you. The thing to remember is that it needs to be roomy enough to fit everything in plus a few spares. It's usually the depth of the bag that causes problems. Really, I suppose it's like a make-up bag but for a boy!

Recently we have come across a fab bag (well, I think it's fab - son thinks it's humiliating!) called a Spibelt (http://www.spibelt.com). It's basically a very small but very stretchy bumbag on a waist strap. Shipping from the USA is hefty so we had ours forwarded by a relative in the USA.

It fits closely and is barely visible under a t-shirt/sweatshirt (my son believes everyone a)can see it and b)is staring at it!). It means I can let him go out and about with his mates on his own because he has his meter/glucose/snack etc physically attached to him and is less likely to lose them than when he takes his handheld kitbag and it is less cumbersome than a backpack (which he resists taking also - far too humiliating!)

Anyone else got any good ideas/products on the kit bag front?

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I have 2 of the diabete-ezy kits for Khaleb. One for home and one in his bag. I love that it is insulated, has loads of little spaces, looks non medical (I have stickers on mine) and holds 2 insulin pens + meter etc all in the one place. His daycare pack has the hypo kit where the insulin goes as I haven't handed that responsibility over to anyone and just keep doing it myself.

The family that designed this equipment have Dad and 3 kids diabetic in the family so a great deal of thought went into what works. Diabetes is their business now that Dad has retired from professional rugby league. They do talks around the country and are great speakers.

I'm not sure if they ship worldwide but would imagine so.

hismom

hi,
i have recently bought one of the diabet-ezy bags I must admit they are not cheap but it has made a big difference. You can see straight away if anything needs topping up i would reccomend them. shipping from australia only took a few days too. There is a company in ireland selling them but they are more expensive from them.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
carob29 said:
Hi all just wanted some help or ideas about my 13 year old daughter and what she can use to carry all her insulin, meters, needles ect around. You know what teenage girls are like!!

This site has on it's Community Home Page an advert for Desang Kitbags with a discount code which get's you 10% off everything.

Desang kitbags are designed to make having diabetes easier by keeping everything you need to control the condition safe and in one place. There are 3 Desang kitbags available, starting from £19.99 and £4.99 postage and packaging.

Here is the link to the page:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/desangkitbags.html

Ken

crushersmum

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My 15 year old son uses his normal school bag - which is huge & has a couple of internal zipped pockets that hold his pen & meter etc loose as they are easier to get to. IT does mean that he takes this huge bag with him EVERYWHERE even outside of school but as it is a trendy make, he likes it & it looks no different from many of those carried by friends. Also being so big it doesn't get lost ever as smaller bags in the past did & as it carries all his other none diabetic stuff too ( spare deodorant, phone & school books etc ) it does not appear to the friends any different from the huge school bags they carry around all the time. ( school books get dumped out at home for weekend use) so does not stick out. A girl could do the same & just use a single pocket of a much larger trendy handbag style thing.