Injection sites - lumps?

jordanneshort

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes think I'll talk to them about the needles see if they can put my back into the BD Ines again and may try injecting in my bottom see if it happens there too

TallGiraffe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I agree with some of the other comments, I think your insulin might be getting stuck under your skin and isn't being absorbed properly. I used to get it when I was a kid, really hurt and left about a 2p sized lump under my skin, probably lasted a day or two. Only ever happebes when I used my legs though! Maybe longer needles and pinching up may help, but you sound like you've already thought of this!!

I've been told not to use my arms for my injections because they aren't big enough so to use my stomach and legs which I always have..but for the past 8 months or so every time I inject without a doubt I get huge painful lumps in both my legs and my stomach, I inject 5 times a day but I feel I'm running out of options as to where to do it as it's just too painful, the hospital at my last appointment gave me smaller needles and said they should help but if anything it's even worse..anyone else have this problem and recommend anything to stop the lumps?

Reactions: azure and alhubb

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Please try your cheeks. You are ignoring the easiest and fattest place without even trying... you arent injecting into the area you sit on. Although this is good place too.

smrties

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jordan, This is not an allergy like some have suggested but some sort of sensitization that happens in your tissue. I have been type 1 diabetic for almost 30 years. I started injecting in my stomach, then my thighs and now my arms and rear end. I switched sites mainly because after a few years of injecting in one area the lumps, irritation and inflammation appear. Now my arms and rear end are aching and I don't know what to do next. I use Levemir and Novorapid. Not sure if one causes more irritation than the other. I use 8mm novolin needles. The short ones don't work for me as I am a bit overweight. (Or a lot, depending on POV). Try injecting on the upper part of your buttocks. It's not that difficult. It's a large area too and you should be able to inject for years before it gets sensitive.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not the needles it's the insulin. Change to a different type. This used to happen a lot with the animal derived insulins like NPH. Not common with the synthetic insulins but the OP didn't say what type she uses.

jordanneshort

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tried moving them around all different areas and still end up with really painful lumps

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try a different brand of insulin. Sounds like an allergic reaction. Can't hurt right? If you use Novorapid try Humulog.