joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
Hello everyone.
Just want to share that within a year i have turned around the above (not diabetes completely, though secondary issues) through loads of research. Hope that this will benefit everyone here!

To cut a long story short, which ideally should be a longer story; I will try and make this brief!

Last January 2016, I was aware of my eye issues - which was then maculopathy and also had Hashimotos which was diagnosed months previously. Had a chat with a nutritionist and quit wheat and started on a course of fish oils before meals plus various mineral supplements and probiotics during my evening meal. In July which was 6 months later, I went for an eye check and everything was well!
The hashimotos/ thyroid issues continued so started taking the recommended "drugs for life" in February 2016. I then had vivid dreams and twisted nightmares every night until August 2016 where I stopped taking the levothyroxin for 3 weeks. I went back to the Dr's had a test and the thyroids were still still bad and low 11 (9 - 24), with a very high TSH of 12 (0-4 being normal). I had to go back on the drugs eventually, so started again in September. The vivid dreams came back so I persisted on researching like crazy! (Got to love google)

Discovered that a thyroid issue is another autoimmune problems, so researched causes and found something called "Leaky Gut Syndrome" which we should all know about!! It is likely that all diabetics and other autoimmune health problems came from a leaky gut, and we should have been told this at the start of diagnoses that our stomaches need fixing - ideally by quitting wheat (which I already had done (and continue)) and dairy (I always have a cup of coffee in the morning and never quit milk with coffee and a good brew), which I had already done.
Then in October 2016 I discovered L-Glutamine fix the leaky gut within a few months whilst also cutting out wheat and dairy. So, again in October, came off the medication and started L-Glutamine. I had found a great source and started took a flat teaspoon of LG with water, every morning and night before bed.
I then went to the hospital for a checkup and had results on the 21st December 2016, the Thyroids were back in the normal range! Ha!

On top of this, I rarely suffer from high blood sugars (dawn phenomenon) first thing in the morning and my blood sugars are so much more in control and am sure not eat wheat really helps with that. Hypos seemed to have dropped off as well as previously was having them as often as a couple a day for the last few years as the bloods seemed impossible to control. Now, everything is so much better!

A little more info -- During my research I realised that at a young age was given an antibiotic. Then at the age of 12 was diagnosed with Type1 Diabetes. It is highly likely that that caused candida in the steam which them causes leaky gut.
Stomachs usually have tiny holes to allow good nutrition to pass through into the bloodstream, whilst keeping the bad out. Though with candida it expands the stomach and so too do the tiny holes, which then leads onto toxins escaping into the blood - hence the name "Leaky Gut! This then causes various autoimmune issues as the bad toxins race around the body, screwing everything up within the body - causing diabetes and other major issues down the long run.
Have read that all autoimmune problems can be reversed with L-Glutamine and am surprised it's not mentioned here, which is a major surprise. Who runs this website?? A drug company maybe??

--

Am still taking L-Glutamine morning and night and have also added a teaspoon of extra coconut oil daily instead of the fish oils. Am intrigued by the next check mid Feb '17...

Hope this info helps others as it has me.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Have read that all autoimmune problems can be reversed with L-Glutamine and am surprised it's not mentioned here, which is a major surprise. Who runs this website?? A drug company maybe??

So you have reversed your T1 diabetes?

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
@JohnEGreen No though read with this it's possible. Type 2 is easiest to reverse via dropping off wheat and L-Glutamine. Have come across reversal of type 1, though that was an early diagnoses; whilst Ive been type 1 for 30 years now. Could be tricky. I consider that secondary issues can be reversed first hand so far. God only knows what the future holds. I am sticking to this as it's made a huge difference for me :)

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
* edited my post, adding: (not diabetes completely, though secondary issues)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd say it's getting there....!

In what way? If we're talking about the same Type 1, then he's on insulin now and his diet only prolonged his honeymoon.

While I agree that the gut is probably involved in the development of Type 1, there is no way to,reverse it currently.

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
Sorry @azure , tried to explain as best as i could.

Oh, missed out that I weighed 81kg last Jan and had been trying for years to go back to when I was 24 years old (78kg). Now in late January 2017 I weigh only 75kg
Other things will pop up which I will share.
I know you want diabetes to be written off completely, not sure it's possible though as for secondary issues, I fixed them and they are all autoimmune like diabetes. That I find interesting so there could be a link.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Funny. Taking large amounts of l-glutamine as part of a body transformation program made little difference to my 28 years of T1.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry @azure , tried to explain as best as i could.

Oh, missed out that I weighed 81kg last Jan and had been trying for years to go back to when I was 24 years old (78kg). Now in late January 2017 I weigh only 75kg
Other things will pop up which I will share.
I know you want diabetes to be written off completely, not sure it's possible though as for secondary issues, I fixed them and they are all autoimmune like diabetes. That I find interesting so there could be a link.

To be honest I think all type 1's would like to have it written off, however once the immune system has attacked the pancreas and the majority of beta cells have been destroyed then there is no hope except insulin therapy, giving false hope to those with the condition is misleading and dangerous.

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
Everyone is different. My thyroids are back to normal :) and i have lost weight considerably. Did you quit wheat @tim2000s ?

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
Am just sharing my experiences and not taking responsibility for what others do. Go and do the research - nothing ventured, nothing gained ;)

Reactions: Speedbird

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Have come across reversal of type 1, though that was an early diagnoses; whilst Ive been type 1 for 30 years now. Could be tricky.

Joules, it's great that you have reversed 'secondary' conditions, however making claims about the reversal of type 1 is misleading, it is not possible, unless you can generate re-growth or a replacement of your pancreas then it's not wise to make claims on a public forum about 'reversal', however in newly diagnosed you can extend the honeymoon period of the pancreas, simply by keeping BG levels well controlled for as long as possible, however eventually the flame will flicker and insulin requirements will increase.

It is possible to orchestrate the actions of the pancreas simply by using technology to create a loop with an insulin pump and a cgm, it is not possible to revive the pancreas or indeed reverse type 1.

I would like to think that in our lifetime we could at least discover the trigger for the auto-immune attack and in doing so help prevent more people being diagnosed with type 1, so suggesting to others to 'go do the research' is misleading others with false hope.

Reactions: Freema

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JohnEGreen No though read with this it's possible. Type 2 is easiest to reverse via dropping off wheat and L-Glutamine. Have come across reversal of type 1, though that was an early diagnoses; whilst Ive been type 1 for 30 years now. Could be tricky. I consider that secondary issues can be reversed first hand so far. God only knows what the future holds. I am sticking to this as it's made a huge difference for me :)

With respect, sadly many T2s are not able to reverse their T2, no matter how hard they try.

Unfortunately, T2 is, in my view a portfolio disease whereby virtually any non-T1/T1.5/MODY or LADA is labelled T2. T2s due to insulin insufficiency or even those on long-term steroid treatments could find in impossible to reverse their T2. To suggest it's easy could be unwelcome to put it mildly.

If dropping wheat and taking a few L-Glutamine supplements were the panacea, I think thousands, if not millions, of T2s would be doing just that. Nobody wants diabetes in their lives if there's a way to be rid of it.

Good luck with your continued good health.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Am just sharing my experiences and not taking responsibility for what others do. Go and do the research - nothing ventured, nothing gained ;)

While I'm happy that your secondary issues have been helped, I think it's dangerous and unkind to say that. Every so often we have desperate parents here asking about miracle diets or, worse, saying they're trying one they found on the internet to help their newly diagnosed child.

So suggesting there's a cure if only they - and we - look hard enough is inaccurate at best, soul destroying at worse when the parents (and others) find that simply isn't true.

I wish it was - but it isn't.

Reactions: Freema

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
Maybe I didn't make myself clear, I was referring to secondary issues of diabetes and autoimmune problems which have been fixed despite what Drs said. As they are to do with diabetes i mentioned diabetes, though didn't mean in my text that I've reversed diabetes, by no means. There has been a huge improvement however and i think that going to the root of an issue is the start to turning things around.
If there's anything that needs researching for anyone here, it's prevention rather than cure and of course, take insulin and do your tests for optimal control of course!

My diabetes is not gone by no means, though I'll never say never.

Anyone with thyroid issues with a Dr that says you have to take drugs forever, well my experience is that that can be reversed careless of what the drug world says. I prefer to find a natural way and with that, i beat the Dr and fixed what he said is impossible.

That's my personal experience and i don't blame anyone for being a sceptic.

Last edited: