Excellent results low carbing

Locke

I had the fright of my life in June 2016 being diagnosed T2 after 2 months of feeling ill - lethargy, thirst, night leg cramps and unintentional loss of weight. Hba1c of 102 and FBG 21. Not much help from GP, just given advice to cut down on food, do more exercise and to start Metformin by taking 2000g a day within a few weeks. Complete shock and panic but fortunately found this forum and started reading all the positive help, particularly about LCHF. Saw the DN within 4 weeks who gave me a meter and prescription for test strips. I had already started low carbing and she wanted to put me on Glicazide but after testing my blood and seeing it was already down to 10 she decided to not put me on it. I was a bit hit and miss with the metformin and never managed to take more than 2 per day for a few weeks and then decided to stop due to the unfortunate side effects! My next hba1c 10 weeks later was 66. I carried on with the low carb and lost another stone. My motivation was the fear that I could lose limbs as I was suffering with tingling and pains in my feet. My vision was also quite blurry just after diagnosis. My GP told me he thought it unlikely that the foot issues were diabetic related as my BS control was good so he sent me for B12 tests. This came back negative and when I went back to see him he was very dismissive and just told me he could put me on the waiting list to see a neurologist but that it may take a year for an appointment and that diabetes was progressive and I must take the metformin. I didn't. Last week I had my latest Hba1c test. The result was amazing - 43 I am over the moon but know that I still need to lose another 2 stone and do more exercise to keep the control going. Daily figures are around the 5-7 mark but I still spike if I'm not careful with my choice of food. I want to thank everyone who posts on this forum. The panic I felt was scary but I found so much support here and I don't think I could have done it on my own. One day at a time is my mantra. Here's to a Happy New Year, to all the mods please keep up the good work you are amazing. Thank you.

Reactions: Robertgray30

Rajran

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. Its good to read a success story. Im new here and like to know if you got rid of the tingling feeling. I suddenly got a burning feeling on hands and feet over night and scared now

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello. Its good to read a success story. Im new here and like to know if you got rid of the tingling feeling. I suddenly got a burning feeling on hands and feet over night and scared now

Once you get your blood sugars down that should ease off @Rajran

Reactions: Prem51

kazzers

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not feeling healthy and in tip top condition
Hiya, I am trying with Low carb but not having much weight loss :-( Could you just give me an example of a typical days menu for you please ? days

Reactions: Prem51

Moiraf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having Type 2, having seasonal Hayfever, idiots who think they know all about Diabetes after reading a Daily Mail article.
I had the fright of my life in June 2016 being diagnosed T2 after 2 months of feeling ill - lethargy, thirst, night leg cramps and unintentional loss of weight. Hba1c of 102 and FBG 21. Not much help from GP, just given advice to cut down on food, do more exercise and to start Metformin by taking 2000g a day within a few weeks. Complete shock and panic but fortunately found this forum and started reading all the positive help, particularly about LCHF. Saw the DN within 4 weeks who gave me a meter and prescription for test strips. I had already started low carbing and she wanted to put me on Glicazide but after testing my blood and seeing it was already down to 10 she decided to not put me on it. I was a bit hit and miss with the metformin and never managed to take more than 2 per day for a few weeks and then decided to stop due to the unfortunate side effects! My next hba1c 10 weeks later was 66. I carried on with the low carb and lost another stone. My motivation was the fear that I could lose limbs as I was suffering with tingling and pains in my feet. My vision was also quite blurry just after diagnosis. My GP told me he thought it unlikely that the foot issues were diabetic related as my BS control was good so he sent me for B12 tests. This came back negative and when I went back to see him he was very dismissive and just told me he could put me on the waiting list to see a neurologist but that it may take a year for an appointment and that diabetes was progressive and I must take the metformin. I didn't. Last week I had my latest Hba1c test. The result was amazing - 43 I am over the moon but know that I still need to lose another 2 stone and do more exercise to keep the control going. Daily figures are around the 5-7 mark but I still spike if I'm not careful with my choice of food. I want to thank everyone who posts on this forum. The panic I felt was scary but I found so much support here and I don't think I could have done it on my own. One day at a time is my mantra. Here's to a Happy New Year, to all the mods please keep up the good work you are amazing. Thank you.
Well done! Its so hard when your doctor isn't the most helpful person in the world, thank heavens for DNs! Mine is a total angel, and a tremendous support. I have lost over 3 stone since my diagnosis 4 years ago, just by being very, very careful. I took Metformin for 12 months but have been controlling T2 by diet and exercise ever since. I walk a lot! Yes there are times when T2 is a complete pain in the ...! But the inconvenience is far preferable to the consequences of not doing anything to reverse it. And it does get easier. Keep up the good work, and thank you other Forum members, I don't post very often but I read your comments and you are all wonderfully supportive!