weetabix again

bedshaped2000

weetabix has been ruled out of my diet in the last 8 months or so due to double figure bgs in the fist hour of testing. thought id try again this week with a bit of experimenting and i think ive cracked it. 2 weetabix ,strawberrys semi skimmed milk and a coffee
before 5.2
1 hr 10.2
2 hr 7.1
3 hr 6.3
ok heres the clever bit. 2 weetabix ,strawberrys, semi skimmed milk, 1 tablespoon of flaxseed, 1 tablespoon of almond powder, 20g of mixed pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds,
before 5.3
1hour 5.9
2 hour 5.6
3 hour 5.3
ive tested this 3 times with same results . bring the weetabix on. also to save doing another post the same pumpkin seeds and sunflowerseeds in melted 85% cocoa chocolate and make little rice crispy cakes without the rice crispies butifull :p

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
bedshaped2000 said:
ok heres the clever bit. 2 weetabix ,strawberrys, semi skimmed milk, 1 tablespoon of flaxseed, 1 tablespoon of almond powder, 20g of mixed pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds

Cunning plan! 8) :D I might even try that! :)

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
bedshaped2000 said:
i did try 1 weetabix then added a half then the 2 before i got to that conclusion 8)

Well done sir! 8) :lol: :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
bedshaped2000 said:
weetabix has been ruled out of my diet in the last 8 months or so due to double figure bgs in the fist hour of testing. thought id try again this week with a bit of experimenting and i think ive cracked it. 2 weetabix ,strawberrys semi skimmed milk and a coffee
before 5.2
1 hr 10.2
2 hr 7.1
3 hr 6.3
ok heres the clever bit. 2 weetabix ,strawberrys, semi skimmed milk, 1 tablespoon of flaxseed, 1 tablespoon of almond powder, 20g of mixed pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds,
before 5.3
1hour 5.9
2 hour 5.6
3 hour 5.3
ive tested this 3 times with same results . bring the weetabix on. also to save doing another post the same pumpkin seeds and sunflowerseeds in melted 85% cocoa chocolate and make little rice crispy cakes without the rice crispies butifull :p

Interesting results bedshaped2000! :)

I've been including pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds with my breakfast cereal for a couple of years now, even before changing to a reduced carb/low-gi diet. There great for bulking up a small portion of cereal, and the good news they are a power-house of vitamins and minerals too.

Nigel

ShyGirl

I wonder if the result would be different with soya milk. I might try this when next possible as I do miss cereal and cornflakes are just..evil level wise. Yuk

RichardNY

Dislikes
People that feel the need to put others down in order to make themselves feel better. A closed mind. A Fiscal view of life. Oh and Emu he used to scare the **** out of me when I was a kid :-s
That 5.9 1hr after is a cracking result :shock:

Theres only one thing to do and thats try your method out :p I like you (well before you came up with this recipe) went into double figures. Fingers crossed I can repeat your success !

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
RichardNY said:
That 5.9 1hr after is a cracking result :shock:

Theres only one thing to do and thats try your method out :p I like you (well before you came up with this recipe) went into double figures. Fingers crossed I can repeat your success !

Just remember Richard to keep a eye on the portion size, obviously a larger bowl will return unwelcome bg results, so if your bg is slightly high on the first day, lower the cereal portion by 10g before adding the seeds and then test again.

Nigel

iHs

Hmmmm

I might try this. Can you get flaxseed in the supermarkets and if so, down what aisle? Also how do you get almond powder?

bedshaped2000

hi the flaxseed i use is at holland and barrett but asda now do it. its linwoods milled flaxseed about 4.50 a packet. it is expensive but my mrs makes enough flax bread for me for the week and the rest left i sprinkle on breakfast. note it does make you a bit windy . the almond powder is just grounded almond that you can find down the cooking isle. you also will find cheaper chocolate down there which is also 85% cocoa if your pallet will like it but it is an aquired taste. it is pricey but it lets me have bread and weetabix a small price to pay i think.

RichardNY

Dislikes
People that feel the need to put others down in order to make themselves feel better. A closed mind. A Fiscal view of life. Oh and Emu he used to scare the **** out of me when I was a kid :-s
Hi all tried this out this morning and this is what I ended up recording :-

before 5.3
1hr after 7.1
2hr 5.6

now that may seem high to some but compared to what I used to get from weetabix without the addition of flaxseed, almond, pumpkin and sunflower seeds its way way lower.

hmmm wonder what it would taste like if I added a little vinegar :lol:

Belting tip tho bedshaped.

RichardNY

Dislikes
Bearing in mind how you approached it with 1, 1.5 and then 2 and what noblehead said about portion sizes I opted for 1.5 bog standard branded weetabix. I have to say I wasn't expecting it to be that low of a reading and really just wanted some weetabix :twisted:

As for the flaxseed well am full of hot air anyways :lol: least thats what the wife says and after all she knows best :wink:

so ... 1 weetabix *should* give better results, I'll just add more sunflower seeds :D

All the best.

Richard.

Soundgen

All this is very interesting , I wonder if it is Vitamin B1 related , all diabetics type 1 and 2 have only 25% of the normal amount of thiamine in their blood , this was research done by Warwick University , http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-...=3463&p=17736&hilit=warwick+university#p17736

Using Benfotiamine ( specail type of Thiamine ) for me drops my BG
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9454&hilit=benfotiamine

Sunflower seeds contain lots of Thiamine 176% of the daily need , I wonder if you would get the same results if you used just sunflower seeds , can you try it ?

Thiamine removes glucose from the blood by a process called the pentose phosphate pathway which produces NADPH which is used in the cell is to prevent oxidative stress , if this process doesn't happen diabetic problems of neuropathy , retinopathy and nephropathy can follow !

bedshaped2000

hi soundgen. i think it is probably more than likely the fat content. if you look at the fat content on the seeds and the flax powder and almond powder it is high. my theory is that the fat slows down the carb in the weetabix. this is probably why weetabix shredded wheat and most cereal hit the bloodsteam quickly because they dont have much if any fat. i think this mix with other cereals would do the same but obviously not with cocoa pops lol. thats why oats give a slow release because of the fat content they have. ive found other foods with very high fat contents such as the10% fat greek yogurt from lidl, 90% lindt and pork scratchings actualy lower my sugars to the point where im in hypno numbers within a couple of hours. if anyone wants to try another thing ive found, i normally goto bed on bgs between 5.5 to 5.9. everytime i have 2 squares of lindt before i go to bed i always wake up around the 4.9 5.2 area. i dont no if this is just fluke but if i have nothing and go to be on the same numbers i will wake up at a 5.5 to 5.9

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
you should know that the usual brands of wetabix contain vasts amounts of sugar the only worthwhile cereal is shedded wheat and porrage,however i see tesco's have changed their wetabix now to a low sugar one so go for that now only 2.5 grms per bar,all other makes say they are healthy and low fat but do contain as i say vast amounts of sugar which is bad for your blood.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Soundgen said:
hi soundgen. i think it is probably more than likely the fat content.
surely there is more fat in the skimmed milk ? than the added seeds ?

There is 1.7g fat in Semi skimmed milk, and 0.1g fat in skimmed Milk. (both per 100 mil)

There is way more fat in the seeds etc, probably 15 - 20g in total.

Ken

Soundgen

There is 1.7g fat in Semi skimmed milk, and 0.1g fat in skimmed Milk. (both per 100 mil)

I can't imagine eating two weetabix with 100 ml of semi skimmmed milk , 1/2 a pint at least , which would be over 4 gms of fat .

There is way more fat in the seeds etc, probably 15 - 20g in total.

No way , No fat in pumpkin , 50% in Sunflower so 5gm , what does a tablespoon of Flax weigh ?

so why not eat weetabix with ordinary milk which is what i eat , that should be 9gms of fat so why doesn't it reduce my BG

How and why does fat reduce BG please ?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Pumpkin Seed.......There is 45.9g per 100g, therefore there would be 4.5g fat in 10g Pumpkin Seed.

Flax Seed............There is 46.2g per 100g, therefore a tablespoon which is 15g would be 6.9g fat.

Almond Powder.....There is 55.8g per 100g, therefore a serving of 10g would be 5.5g fat.

Source: Calorie Carb and Fat Bible 2010.

Fat slows down the absorption of carbohydrates.

Ken