People at school :/

Erintracy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi this is my first post on here, I've been struggling to deal with people at school. I was sat next to a boy who was eating his sweets and said "mmm diabetes." He then turned to me and asked if I wanted some but I just shook my head with embarrassment. I don't know if I should just keep quiet or correct someone. I've also had people say that I use my diabetes as an excuse to leave class and eat during classes (which obviously isn't true) I always just go bright red and my head sinks.

Any advice on how to deal with these ignorant people? Thanks xx

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hiya, some people can be a real pain. If they could just walk in your shoes for a day! I would stand up to them, if anyone says you use it as an excuse I would correct them, explain the symptoms of your hypo & explain that you won't feel better until you have eaten. Regarding the boy I would just laugh & shake my head at him. People only learn about diabetes if they know someone with it, you could share what it's like to have it & they might understand more. Maybe the school could help? X

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Try to ignore them life is hard enough without these idiots! Perhaps you should tell the teacher quietly that you would prefer not to sit beside him and why. Sending you hugs! Be strong!

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think with a lot of people the problem is sheer ignorance. They just don't get it. I'm sure you've also had the 'druggie' comments - they were a big favourite when I was at school a few years ago. Part of it is they just don't understand, and from that comes the other part - jealousy. They see you having to eat in class/having to leave lessons, and they see it as something they want to do to, but obviously they don't understand the reasons behind it. The question I would ask is that do they actually have any idea of how enormous this thing that you live with is? The idea might be horrific to you, but have you thought about asking your teacher if you can give some sort of presentation to the class about what this disease really means? This is hard enough already, and I'm so sorry people have taken it upon themselves to make it harder for you. Keep your chin up - school isn't forever.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi this is my first post on here, I've been struggling to deal with people at school. I was sat next to a boy who was eating his sweets and said "mmm diabetes." He then turned to me and asked if I wanted some but I just shook my head with embarrassment. I don't know if I should just keep quiet or correct someone. I've also had people say that I use my diabetes as an excuse to leave class and eat during classes (which obviously isn't true) I always just go bright red and my head sinks.

Any advice on how to deal with these ignorant people? Thanks xx

An age old issue... Yep, it ain't nice..

Just a thought though reading your post about the "boy" in your class..? He may have just been awkward trying to talk to you in which the foolish comment and your understandable reaction to it backfired?
Maybe if during a break you aproached this boy and asked "what's the big idea with your earlier joke with the sweet?"
He may just realize the hurt, be willing to understand & make amends. Thus you could have an ally when the next misinformed fool comes along...?
I still occaisionaly get the odd off remark at work but mostly it's just some guy's way of saying hello in the staff room.. ;)
Just politely put the lad straight!

Ben7982ben

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there just jealous because us diabetics have all the good stuff well apart from the dead pancreas

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My 15 yr old son has complex autism but presents as pretty much a normal teenager until he has a meltdown.

He has a get out of class quickly pass that when he feels he is on the edge and needs to calm down before meltdown he can get up and walk from any class unquestioned and go straight to his safe place in school (the Chapel as its a Catholic faith school) to get his emotions under control.

The amount of stick he gets from others for it is unbelievable, simply because they are jealous.

As I tell him, take no notice of them. Easier said than done but it's you that's important and not them.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would say your reaction can be different depending on the person - There are some people that will say anything to try to get a reaction out of someone, you've most probably seen them do a similar thing to other people many times - these are best ignored.
Generally, if someone asks me a question related to diabetes I try to answer it as honestly as I can, or challenge a false statement but calmly and with the facts not emotionally as this would only encourage an idiot that was just trying to 'bait' you.
Once I started opening up to people about what being diabetic means I found most people are genuinely curious and interested. The technology available today can be fascinating to people too.
At some point you will probably find someone who has heard something from a friend's mom's neighbour that is rubbish yet they believe is gospel, you can only do your best and shrug it off with these unfortunately. Or tell them to come and read this forum :)

Try not to let diabetes be something you're embarrassed about - it's a part of you, in the same way as your brown or blue eyes

jasmine1616

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hate people who think they know about T1D, but they really don't
Just completely roast them with Diabetes facts and tell them what is actually happening. Tell them that they don't have to deal with what you have because they are not as strong as you are. Tell them the truth about diabetes if you are okay with it. That's what I tell people at my school if they try and say something about my diabetes.

Reactions: BeccyB

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its easier said than done of course but I wouldn't shy away from it....own it...

you have diabetes and the reality is it doesn't mean you have to do anything different.....

obviously the first few months and sometimes longer I suppose may feel like that as you get to grips with whats what...but your no different...

laugh at these comments and they will soon get bored...

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My daughter says "yes please i.ll keep the sweets for later " and puts them in her lunchbox.

Reactions: joss.t2
Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just ignore him. After all, no matter what he say, he will not really affect you if you admit to yourself that you have that kind of disease and you are brave enough to deal with it. There's no issue at all. Well, its not contagious after all so you better just laugh whatever he say because your just the one who knows your true self and he is a mere ignorant.