Faster Insulin Aspart: Finally in the wild and in my hands!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've had no difference using it alongside going to the gym and doing weights. Other feedback I've seen is that the reduced tail effect is helpful with aerobic exercise

Reactions: sassycat

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well it appears to be working quite well. The Krispy Kreme is definitely not winning....!

Am fed up at work at the moment, so have instead been wondering what Fiasp is really an acronym for. How about:

Finally, Insulin Attacks Sweet Pastry!​

Sorry, I'll get me coat...

Reactions: Hoping4Cure

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Am fed up at work at the moment, so have instead been wondering what Fiasp is really an acronym for. How about:

Finally, Insulin Attacks Sweet Pastry!​

Sorry, I'll get me coat...
Have you tried Faster Insulin Aspart....?

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wonder if they will release a cartridge to fit the insight ?

fozzie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wondered the same so got in touch with Novo Nordisk, the official response was they have not decided whether a pump cart will be introduced at a later date, but I suspect they will do at some point..

sassycat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Let's hope so, I don't fancy dealing with the dreaded air bubbles again, I much prefer using preloaded cartridges.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Let's hope so, I don't fancy dealing with the dreaded air bubbles again, I much prefer using preloaded cartridges.

This is something I don't really understand. In 18 months of using a pump I've never had a problem with air bubbles, even when I'm reusing reservoirs, and I don't understand what I'm doing differently to others.

Reactions: sassycat

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is something I don't really understand. In 18 months of using a pump I've never had a problem with air bubbles, even when I'm reusing reservoirs, and I don't understand what I'm doing differently to others.
I think this is just another example of, everyone is different.
I went through a phase of getting bubbles up to 10 inches long in tubing. I was given various bits of advice from my DSN and Medtronic rep but still got bubbles. Even when my DSN filled the reservoir for me, I got bubbles. She ended up suggesting that it could somehow have something to do with my dancing.
I just had to find what worked for me, but still check for bubbles each day, just in case.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a clinic appointment next week and will be asking my consultant to change my prescription to Fiasp. I'm just hoping that being insulin sensitive won't go against me, as I think my post breakfast BGs would improve greatly with this new insulin.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know what the roll out strategy is for this?

Is it intended to REPLACE NovoRapid in due course, or to be an alternative?

Will newly diagnosed be given this instead of NovoRapid?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Does anyone know what the roll out strategy is for this?

Is it intended to REPLACE NovoRapid in due course, or to be an alternative?

Will newly diagnosed be given this instead of NovoRapid?
Given most hospital formularies don't yet have it on their listing, no. In the long run, this is intended to replace Aspart in the Novo catalogue as standard Novorapid comes off patent this year, so biosimilars could be introduced that cost less (although as we've seen, that hasn't made a huge difference with Basaglar/LAntus). Novo have told me they will run the two side by side for some time, and will decide what to do about Novorapid production.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Probably worth having a read of my latest blog post if you're looking at this stuff. I've had a huge change in my insulin sensitivity as a result.

Reactions: pinewood

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm almost 2 weeks in and have found quite an increase in TDD, still having unexpected highs and lows, the lows being at night when sleeping so a bit miserable. Am running most mornings and nothing much has changed here but when it gets a bit anaerobic the sugars go up a little more than I'd expect but nothing too drastic.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably worth having a read of my latest blog post if you're looking at this stuff. I've had a huge change in my insulin sensitivity as a result.
Thanks Tim; really interesting reading.

I don't really have any major issues with NovoRapid EXCEPT that I hate how long it takes to fix a high level when used as a correction.

I must admit that the sensitivity issue is slightly concerning. What are your thoughts about retaining NovoRapid as a "regular" bolus and having a separate Fiasp pen for corrections only? Appreciate this is no good for pumpers but for those of us using pens it could be an option.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks Tim; really interesting reading.

I don't really have any major issues with NovoRapid EXCEPT that I hate how long it takes to fix a high level when used as a correction.

I must admit that the sensitivity issue is slightly concerning. What are your thoughts about retaining NovoRapid as a "regular" bolus and having a separate Fiasp pen for corrections only? Appreciate this is no good for pumpers but for those of us using pens it could be an option.
I suspect that if you're using MDI there is likely to be less of an issue. You aren't constantly infusing insulin, so you won't have the constant B3 subcutaneously. I'm not sure whether there is a local effect from jabs, but I suspect not as you don't reuse the same spot over and over for three days.

CJOtter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@steve_p6 based on what I've seen, I think I'd agree. I think it's going to require reeducation if using this with MDI. It's not wildly fast but the profile is different to what users are used to.

On the other hand I think it will work well in CSII. The quicker action will make square waves more effective I think.

@TheBigNewt - sounds like you need to attend Diabetes Jedi training. When eating higher fat meals, many people can't manage to keep a decent blood glucose profile without split bolusing. Definitely not an easy way to get a low.
Diabetes Jedi - I'm interested. Never quite got a handle on square waves and split boluses. I usually end up correcting (badly) and stacking.

FatCatAnna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hmm, dishonest people that pretty well sums it up in a nutshell!
I'm the same as you Tim ... been pumping since 2008 ... and never had an air bubble problem. Loving this thread. Sadly, here in Canada we don't have any forums like you do in UK. It's all American forums, and sometimes, it's nice to come back home (I'm an expat) and discuss in a language that spells colour correctly ;)

FatCatAnna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hmm, dishonest people that pretty well sums it up in a nutshell!
I suspect that if you're using MDI there is likely to be less of an issue. You aren't constantly infusing insulin, so you won't have the constant B3 subcutaneously. I'm not sure whether there is a local effect from jabs, but I suspect not as you don't reuse the same spot over and over for three days.

And yes - with MDI - which I was doing for a week for meal / corrections ... using NovoRapid in pump for basal ... I had no issues with irritation at the injection site. Now with 3 weeks in on FIASP via Animas Vibe, when removing the infusion sets (I use Sure-T and or Contact Detach) ... I have abit of an itch and raised spot. It goes away in a few days ... but never had this with NovoRapid.

Does anyone here find it stings sometimes when infusing into your skin via the pump? I'm not doing large amounts, generally 1-2 at a time.