Diabetics have to queue?

Lizzz

I am 16, and have been diabetic (type 1) for just over a year now, and thought it undoubtedly can be a challenge at times, I don't see how in any way this should mean I do not have to queue with everyone else. Of course I see how other people with disabilities that mean they cannot physically queue for long periods of time should be allowed to skip queues, but I don't see how diabetes fits into this category. I don't see how standing in a queue is going to affect BG so drastically that it means queueing is out of the question. Isn't plummeting down a huge drop and being scared out of your skin on the ride going to affect blood sugars much more than simply waiting in a queue? Some sugar tablets and a snack are all that are needed in my mind :)

winksey

Dislikes
Being Diabetic
Im sorry If this upsets anyone but I have diabetes and I like to be treated like a normal person and if that means joining the others in a long que so be it.
I would never use my diabetes to skip to the front of ques.
The answer to oh but ur blood sugar gets low take food and drinks with you.

chrisgod

My sentiments? No, diabetics should have to do like anyone else and queue. I personally live in France and can only say the disabled here not only get a Blue Badge as those who need them do BUT there are also special tills at the supermarkets for instance just for people who do have a special dispensation to avoid waiting. I myself have one and would no more use it than anything else! Unless I was ABSOLUTELY sure I had to.

However having said that I agree with a previous poster who asked why able people always jump the queue if someone is not able to get on the bus etc! If you are unlucky enough to have to use a wheelchair (I will someday) the yes THEY are a special case. IF you are at all worried about having a Hypo then by all means take precautions! AND if the facility exists to take advantage and you want to do just that (and are brass necked enough to do so) then fill your boots for me. I for one would not ask why but simply accept that there MUST be a good reason for it!

But for me queuing is a way of life if you were English! Mind you if you are FRENCH you MAY not agree like 90% of other French people! :lol:

maria b

Sorry if this is harsh to all you peeps who think you should get special treatment, but I think you all have an attitude problem. Most people with diabetes are not physically impaired. Most people just want to be treated like normal people, because thats what we are. Get on with it, carry hypo treatments and adjust your insulin as best you can to your activities. Diabetes is a condition that you live with, not one that stops you from doing things, unless you let it. You only get one life, don't spend yours hiding behind being diabetic, there are far worse things that can happen to you. Get over it! :D

hismom

hi,
I just thought that I would say that sometimes it helps to mention you are diabetic. When my son was newly diagnoised we took him to the natural history museum in london. They have or had a huge dinosaur exhibition on . we had already travelled over 2 hours to get there,then queued for over 2 hours to get in. When we got inside there was another queue that was 45 minutes long. This is really disapointing and as he was new to it all it was difficult. We decided to leave the exhibitin until later in the day.I asked an attendant at what time the queue starts to slow down as my son is diabetic . he took us to a staff door so we wouldnt have to wait any longer. I must admit that I wouldnt have asked for the privilege but I did appreciate it.

TheWeasel

Dislikes
People who drive whilst using a mobile phone, as one of em killed my best mate!
Oh yes it does!

maria b said:
Diabetes is a condition that you live with, not one that stops you from doing things, unless you let it. :D

maria b, Yes Diabetes is a condition we live with, but don't be misled into believing it doesn't stop us doing things.

When I was first diagnosed as type1 over 30 years ago, as an aircraft engineer I was planning to become a flight engineer. That was instantly scuppered by Diabetes. On attending a hospital appintment, soon after being diagnosed I got chatting to another freshly diagnosed type 1 who was a helicopter pilot for a North sea oil company and who did SCUBA diving as a hobby. He lost both his living and his hobby as a result of becoming type 1. We then had to face being told by a Diabetic nurse that we can lead 'perfectly normal' lives as type 1's.
Clearly some of these Diabetic professionals have a very limited view of what's normal, so don't be taken in by it.
There's plenty of legislation about which prevents type 1's doing what non-Diabetics take for granted, so please don't tell me I'm letting Diabetes stop me doing what I want.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
TheWeasel said:
maria b said:
Diabetes is a condition that you live with, not one that stops you from doing things, unless you let it. :D

maria b, Yes Diabetes is a condition we live with, but don't be misled into believing it doesn't stop us doing things.

When I was first diagnosed as type1 over 30 years ago, as an aircraft engineer I was planning to become a flight engineer. That was instantly scuppered by Diabetes. On attending a hospital appintment, soon after being diagnosed I got chatting to another freshly diagnosed type 1 who was a helicopter pilot for a North sea oil company and who did SCUBA diving as a hobby. He lost both his living and his hobby as a result of becoming type 1. We then had to face being told by a Diabetic nurse that we can lead 'perfectly normal' lives as type 1's.
Clearly some of these Diabetic professionals have a very limited view of what's normal, so don't be taken in by it.
There's plenty of legislation about which prevents type 1's doing what non-Diabetics take for granted, so please don't tell me I'm letting Diabetes stop me doing what I want.

Alot of situations take things away from people, A soldier in the army get his legs blown off and can no longer run around after his children. A Woman gets cervical cancer and can no longer have children. A child get's lukemia and spends half his or hers childhood in and out of hospital.

It's not about what you can't do, It's about what you can do. Everybody has something limiting in their lives, wether it's as simple as not being tall enough to be a model or being colourblind and you can't be a pilot.

I wanted to join the RAF then diabetes got in the way. but i'm not gonna spend my life getting angry at people who have a positive attitude. I'd be more angry if a nurse just simply said 'well your life is over now'

If you want to have a negative attidue about things please don't encourage people who are dealing very well with a condition such as diabetes into thinking the same. It's not nice and definately not good advice.

hybrid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So do all other disabilities so what makes you think that you're different ? you're lucky that you just have diabetes , 'you have just shown yourself up for what you think that you are 'better than all of us put together ' Get A Life ' & get off your soap-box . after all no one forced you to go or did they ?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Seems some posters have either ignored this or not read it so here is a reminder of the original post regarding the re-opening of the thread. Please stick to this subject and do not go back to the OP. This is not what it was re-opened for, it was to allow members to answer the questions raised in the newsletter. Nothing more.

Should diabetics have to queue?

A recent thread about the right of people with diabetes to jump queues has ignited the forum. Should diabetes be treated as a disability that allows those affected special rights? In this case, the post refers to an entertainment setting, but how far should this extend?
Should privileges extend to all people with diabetes, or just those struggling for control for whom a queue could present a serious problem? The forum remains divided! Give us your say in the Diabetes Forum.

As the topic has been mentioned in the DCUK newsletter we will give this another go.

Please give your comments on the general question and issue mentioned in the newsletter, not on the OP of the thread!

This thread will be monitored closely, if it goes down hill again it will be permanently locked. We allow a certain amount of leeway but it is not a vehicle to attack the OP.

cugila
Forum Monitor

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a diabetic for more than 50 years - If you have to que - plan for it! If it is unexpected and it causes you difficulties just walk away.
I work on the basis that I can do the same as everyone else but I will always take my Sandwiches with me. The only time that this did not go as expected was trying to eat cheese sandwiches on a jetski while well off shore on the Norfolk coast, but, this was not a problem as chocolate and drink survived OK.
So from a practical view, plan and if things change act accordingly to remove any risk to you or those arround you.
Diabetes is not a disability just something that one learns to deal with in a common sense practical way.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
No one likes to queue and everyone gets hot and frustrated, any diabetic who is at risk of hypo's should be prepared for that event.

To vent anger on a low paid worker at a theme park or anywhere else for that mater is indefensible and shameful IMHO.

I would never wish myself disabled in case it became a self fulfilling prophesy.

josie38

Hi,

I have read all of this thread and the OP understandly seems a bit confused. As a child, yes, his parents did right by getting him the bands but now he is an adult and as an adult should be able to deal with diabetes by himself. That would be why the park refused to issue him with a band at first. Yes you could say that it is a disability but as an adult you should be able to care for yourself and be able to take the steps to ensure that you dont go low.If i am going anywhere that requires me to queue (a lot of you will disagree with me) i tend to run a bit high to try to eliminate the risk hypo. To do this i would probably eat a snickers or something.

I am a mother of two (3 & 4) who are very active but i always make sure i can look after them adn if queueing do run a bit high so they can enjoy themselves without me conking out.

At the end of the day diabetes control is your responsibility and common sense does come into it!!!

Josie

paulineshep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
All i have to say is if your able to go on the rides at these Theme parks then your able to queue ive never heared such a ************* in all the 20 some years of been a Diabetic all i say is if you can control your sugar levels you can queue up like the rest of other people at the Theme parks who have paid the same entrance fee as you unless you have a consessions card. :D

A

Anonymous

How many more times do we have to remind members of this forum that this is not a vehicle or an opportunity for attacking the Op ! He has had enough criticism and it serves no purpose in repeating what has already been conveyed to him in the previous posts.

Please read the questions from the newsletter which are clearly posted by Mod 2 and also repeated by a Forum Monitor. Any more of this and we may have to lock the thread again, at the very least any further posts will be edited and/or deleted.

Mod 3.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Selflessness is in all of us at some time or other
Just look at the MPs with there noses in it :shock:

There are very odd times when it May be OK To Jump the odd queue. :oops:
I know my wife has for me to get a small bottle of coke when I had a hypo
and has asked if food can come a bit quicker in a restaurant/café because of getting low

Yes diabetes does restrict our lives a bit and we have to plan our lives a bit more than others
also may ask or need the odd bit of help

However there are others who have a lot more problems both mental and physical
that need the concessions and do not have the choice its go or no go
Think how lucky we are about the things we can still do
can I wash my self ?
can I go to the toilet unaided ?
can I still feed myself?
can I still work?
can I still walk?
can i still drive?
ect

For interest extract from the Gov DWP hand book
Mobility Considerations
The ability to walk is not impaired in persons with uncomplicated diabetes
People with uncomplicated diabetes mellitus do not normally need help with
personal care. They are taught to test their own urine and blood sugar and to
inject their own insulin. In persons with uncomplicated disease adherence to a
special diet does not give rise to a need for attention

On the same note
What are your thoughts on the use of Disabled toilets ?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
2 previous posts after the warning have been deleted. Any complaints about that contact a Forum Monitor.

cugila
Forum Monitor

Kathyshoes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I so agree with all those posts that say that Diabetes should not be used as a disability, unless it has reached a stage where it has actually stopped you, physically, from doing what you want. I was diagnosed with type 1 30 years ago, and although I have had quite a few scares over the years, these have become fewer and further between, as a result of a combination of much better medication and education, enabling tighter and easier control, and also of building up a greater understanding of my condition, and how it affects me personally, and how best to manage it. During that time, I have held down my most recent job for 22 years, and progressed to become Director, have had 3 children, without giving up my job, and am probably one of the" healthiest" people that I know!

As said by others, the key is down to ones personal preparation in taking control of any situation which one may find oneself in. I do so agree that the last thing one should want is to draw unnecessary attention to oneself, and therefore to prepare for any eventuality in any given situation. Personally, I would rather queue in just such a situation than call myself'disabled, which is a label that I would avoid at all costs. After all, there may just come a day when that label could justifiably be applied, so whilst you are able to do without it, make the most of it, and be grateful for it. Rather, concentrate your efforts on making sure that the day never arrives when you may have the'right' to go straight to the front of the queue!. :D

Dippy3103

IMHO diabetes in itself is not a disabilty, but the complications can be a disability.
If we were to take a leap of faith and say (for arguements sake) that it were. How "bad" would one have to be to get the "perks" of disabilty? A t2 like me who is diet only? A t2 on insulin? A t1? I know t1's who have fantastic control who are in better nick than me!

If we as diabetics want to be by and large accepted as able to hold down jobs and not be discriminated against because of our condition we equally can not use it as an excuse to jump queues. Well enough to physically go on the ride unaided well enough to queue with the rest of the hoi polloi. If ones condition is so unstable that the ride could cause a hypo then why on earth would you want to risk such a highly unpleasant and potentially dangerous reaction anyway.

TheWeasel

Dislikes
People who drive whilst using a mobile phone, as one of em killed my best mate!
ebony321 said:
TheWeasel said:
maria b said:

Alot of situations take things away from people, A soldier in the army get his legs blown off and can no longer run around after his children. A Woman gets cervical cancer and can no longer have children. A child get's lukemia and spends half his or hers childhood in and out of hospital.

These obvious examples are not new info thanks.

It's not about what you can't do, It's about what you can do. Everybody has something limiting in their lives, wether it's as simple as not being tall enough to be a model or being colourblind and you can't be a pilot.

I think you've missed the point. It is exactly about what we can't do. Maria b tells us that Diabetes only stops us doing things if we let it, i.e that there's nothing we can't do. This is not true, and I wanted to offer her two simple examples to support that, just to make her more aware of what she might face. Of course theres plenty more, but too complicated to use as examples.

Just to keep on topic.....in line with maria b's belief Jimmy got himself a pass to queue dodge at CWA, (can do what you want) yet there's a whole bunch of Diabetics on here suggesting he shouldn't be doing this (can't do) .........eh????

I wanted to join the RAF then diabetes got in the way. but i'm not gonna spend my life getting angry at people who have a positive attitude. I'd be more angry if a nurse just simply said 'well your life is over now'.

Good for you......my post was not written with anger, just facts. I'm not angry about having Diabetes. In fact my life has been extended currently 33 years longer than it should have been, by the fine work of Sir Fred Banting and Charles Best, and all those who continued their work. So with regard to Diabetes, I'm quite a happy bunny really.

[quoteIf you want to have a negative attidue about things please don't encourage people who are dealing very well with a condition such as diabetes into thinking the same. It's not nice and definately not good advice.

Please explain further why you believe it is negative of me to to choose fact over fantasy.
If you, for example, had a type 1 friend who was about to plunge himself £100K into debt to get trained as a pilot, on a whimsical belief that it's only you that stops you doing anything you want....would you 1) let him go for it, .......or would you 2) advise him to stop right now, as he won't get past the medical ? Surely you wouldn't choose option 1) would you?

There was no comment on maria b's ability to deal with her condition. However it's important to distinguish between dealing with Diabetes itself and dealing with the vast range of sometimes fair, sometimes unfair bureaucracy that type 1's are overwhelmed with in some situations. I just wanted maria b to know the facts. Please tell me what's not nice about that, and why in your opinion it's definately not good advice?

Note to moderators.....this is not an argument, just a query or two on views I don't understand. Whilst not quite on topic, it's very interesting to read how we compare POV's so please don't close this thread

mrssmurf2

I have been reading this post for a couple of weeks now and finally I have plucked up the courage to say something.
I am a recently diagnosed Type 2 on medication and at the moment it feels like a disability and it feels like it effects my life. You constantly have to be aware of it, and I don't think we should get priviledges but anything that would help is kindly recieved.
I have grown up with diabetes having a heavy presense in family life as both my Mum and Dad had it. I took this for granted and didn't realise how many complications and how much you do have to change e.g. thinking constantly what you have to eat. I know that as a type to on meds it is unlikely to have a hypo but it is still a worry.
When I first joined the forum everybody has been really kind but upon reading this post I feel really disheartened. I really feel that everybody has missed the REAL point of what the OP is trying to say, yes it all started off about having priviledges and yes he defineately did not express himself very well but this seems to me that here is a guy who had had this condition from an early age, and clearly still after many years cannot cope with the psychological effect it can have. It is OK to to say 'I have it diabetes for many years and I control it, get over it' but some people cannot just get over things.
At the end of the day diabetes is in a way a loss, a loss of what you could have done, or loss of freedom of just going out on a whim and not thinking of meds food etc. Everybody deals with loss in many ways and it seems to me that no matter how many years passed this guy cannot deal with his loss, even maybe his loss of childhood. Before I had Diabetes I have been suffering from anxiety and depression and after many hours of councilling it is only now that I am dealing with things from childhood and things that happened many years ago which I did not think effected me.
It dissappoints me to think that the mental effects are clearly being ignored and looks like there is still stigma about mental health. The OP seems to have a lot of built up frustration and this was the only way he knew how to express that. He needs support and help not critisism.
My advice to him is to talk about it and if nessecary seek professional help even it is speaking to a counsellor of one of the telephone helplines they can be supportive, mabe seeking answers from an internet forum was not a good thing for him and could have made him feel even more isolated.