Ice water, a potential hazard?

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
This is a point that I wanted to raise. Many diabetics in early stage or pre-diabetic appear to be drawn to ice water or very cold beverages when they are frequently in need of fluid replenishment. This can cause problems with digestive processes by lowering the operating temperature of the stomach, slowing and even halting digestive process. This can lead to excessive production of fat storage and even build up of pathegenic bacteria in the gut due to slow passage of food through the stomach and intestine.

I know from personal experience, during the early stage of onset I craved any form of fluid that was ice cold. Anything up to 6-8 litres per day, and my weight climbed markedly. In the final stages before the collapse, it fell drastically.

I have read some articles on this subject, so it would be wise to persue this further.

Reactions: vjaarsaj

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's an interesting point @leslie10152.

On the other side of the coin, slowing the digestive process can have a beneficial impact on post prandial BG's. An example of this incretin mimetics, which are becoming more and more popular with T2's. It's an interesting one because high post prandial BG can result in the production of excess insulin which may lead to weight gain.

Food for thought:)

Reactions: Struma
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
This is a point that I wanted to raise. Many diabetics in early stage or pre-diabetic appear to be drawn to ice water or very cold beverages when they are frequently in need of fluid replenishment. This can cause problems with digestive processes by lowering the operating temperature of the stomach, slowing and even halting digestive process. This can lead to excessive production of fat storage and even build up of pathegenic bacteria in the gut due to slow passage of food through the stomach and intestine.

I know from personal experience, during the early stage of onset I craved any form of fluid that was ice cold. Anything up to 6-8 litres per day, and my weight climbed markedly. In the final stages before the collapse, it fell drastically.

I have read some articles on this subject, so it would be wise to persue this further.

Before being diagnosed with type 1, I was drinking straight from a tap, any tap that helped my insatiable thirst !

D

Deleted member 308541

I drink bottled water out of my beer fridge, which according to my meat thermometer on one of the shelves is on 2° Celsius approx.

ncK7nHD.jpg

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have never cared for hot drinks and I do not drink coffee. The colder the better. Interesting.

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always drank a lot of fluids and if its a cold drink, has to be really cold for me. In fact first thing I do in the morning is have ice cold water. Its lovely, lol

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ice water kills you in few minutes, in sufficient quantity.
Besides the deadpan snarker answer I think the main problem is the intake of a large quantity of water.
That is a diabetes symptom, actually: even the diabetes insipidus.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Ice water kills you in few minutes, in sufficient quantity.
Besides the deadpan snarker answer I think the main problem is the intake of a large quantity of water.

That is a diabetes symptom, actually: even the diabetes insipidus.

Well, vodka out of the deep freezer does allegedly.

D

Deleted member 308541

A beer fridge tipetoo? Really!
You must be under the affluence of incohol! :);)
Majority of Australians have a beer fridge, at one time I used to buy ten cartoons of beer when it was on special to keep it stocked. I just buy a carton know as I have cut my drinking down now that I have a heart problem.

Billy Mac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Billy Mac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting of your experience.mine is badtlt different.
I started with significant diet changes….walked more , both with some improvement….lost maybe 2 pounds over a year.
Then , the next year I got into drinking ice water, thankfully which I love…all day long.
in the last year i lost 21 pounds. During this time I wasn’t as attentive to what I ate. Blood sugar readings are well down…..

everybody is different…

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The assumption in the OP back in 2017 that iced water makes diabetes worse has not been substantiated by any research since then. in fact it seems cold water is actually slightly beneficial. Cold exposure has been shown to reduce insulin resistance and cold baths and showers are a recommended treatment for T2D.
My avatar is not amused and will not be advising me to follow this course.

• Funny
Reactions: Marie 2 and Antje77