Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food
Hello.
I'm with you all the way!

Ok listen.
Stop panicking!!!
Listen.

Your post told me you know how to lose weight but your body is having different ideas.

Importantly. If you don't want surgery. Don't. It isn't the right time for you!
I'm on TIer3 and have just lost the weight by insulin injections, walking (in agony, on max tramadol) and orilstat tablets from dietician via endocrologist. More importantly I can use metformin, in bits and starts. I make it work for me. You are different to me. Your body is working different to mine, at mo.
Yes I'm on insulin and did add a little weight on it (less due to low carbing) but I am more confident due to excellent bgs (well other than very hot day hypers).
That confidence has change things around for me. I too felt lost and hated my body for not responding properly to starvation and exercise or eat well plate.
You still need to find your happy place with your diabetes, before any surgery!

Get your bgs in line first!!!
No surgeon would touch you such high bgs anyway hun.
Concentrate on diabetes first then weight loss hun.
Please.
I'm available via PMs if you ever want to chat. @Geminigirl
Keep smiling as you will soon be half way there. Doing it in 2 parts is far far easier. :) :) :)
Thankyou so much. Xx

Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food
Hi @Geminigirl

Here are the links that @sally and james suggested.

www.dietdoctor.com
and
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/lowcarb/

I myself have done the DietDoctor low carbing menu plans for several months this year, and I can confirm that I felt great. No hunger, loved the food, mind and body all comfortable - certainly none of that brain fog apathy that comes with high blood glucose levels.

If the DietDoctor programme seems to stark, then have a look at the Diabetes.co.uk Low Carb Programme, which is a much gentler, but still structured, way to get the carbs down.

Hope that helps.
Thank you

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thank you all so much for your support and sound advice. I feel much better for getting it out (including a screaming sesh last night! Lol!)

Yes, I do have a meter supplied by the surgery, I suppose I got into a cycle of testing...panicking and not testing so I don't scare myself.

I do have carb/sweet cravings and I understand the more I have the worst I feel.

I am having my blood test tomorrow and seeing the DN Thurs for results. My hubby went out today and got me the Michael Moseley book. I have had a v long heart to heart with hubby and daughter and I have cried a lot and written down my pros and cons.

I have decided to refuse any other drugs and to tell the DN I intend to follow a low carb plan and to give it three months then see how I go. If I go low I will reduce or cut out my Glimperimide but I will test regularly.

I am a bit confused on high fat though so I thought the Moseley plan might help? My Cholesterol is really good but I was low on the good fats. This is what I mean....I was told not to eat Avacados but I love them and although I know they are high in calories they have good fats so in moderation surely I can have them.

Anyway, I start tomorrow, I have decided! Again, thankyou so much, I don't think anyone has a clue how hard this is unless they have it or live with someone with it.

I will stay in contact and you will prob get fed up with me asking stuff.
Oh. Avocado. Have you meet @Kristin251 ?? She loves them too.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid that what you need to do is decide that you are going to do it - and set to work to modify your diet. If your doctor is dead set against you making progress the way you know you can - and have done in the past,then you need to be very careful taking medication designed for the regime you are being prescribed.
Low carbing has been so effective for me - I have normal readings.
I try to keep my numbers below 7.5 mmol/l after eating, but lunch, or brunch, is usually a huge salad and that causes barely a blip.
I buy packs of ready done leafy salad, packs of creamy coleslaw, and cucumber, radishes, celery, tomatoes - anything I fancy.
I might have tinned tuna and mix in olive oil and vinegar dressing, or eggs and cheese, or shrimps or other sea food or any other protein source. They are very pleasant and cooling in this hot and humid weather.
If I eat a bit earlier, which I should do, then I might have something more breakfasty - it is all free and easy - at least I find it so.
It is difficult to lose weight when diabetic as everything is against it on a 'normal' diet, but I am down about 22 lb from diagnosis, without really trying. If is was essential for me to lose weight faster then I am sure I could set my mind to it, and eat a few less carbs each day, but I feel that there is such an emphasis that the weightloss is what is bringing the blood glucose levels down that I want to show that just low carb eating will do the trick.
Perhaps - now that I am free until next year, I ought to concentrate on losing some weight. There can't be many ways of eating where someone can lose one and a half stones almost by accident, so with a bit of concentration it should go well.

Reactions: Serena51

SophieW

Hello All,
I'm new in this forum but read your messages. Please do not feel hopeless or that you are a failure. Because you are not!
Sometimes we do not feel like we are doing our best to reach a goal.. It is a matter of time. No panic!
The methods on all health areas are developing everyday. I know that it takes some time before NHS is convinced and we have to try losing weight with all the programs but I'm also searching for good surgeons overseas.
I have been working on this for over a year now but I don't want to lose more time. I'm now considering an operation. I have found out there are really good surgeons and hospitals who do this and end up with amazing results. Also a friend of mine had an operation and she has already lost 4.5 stones in a week and doing fine.
If you are interested, please let me know and I will share with you, what I have found so far.
Again, your time and your health matters. @Geminigirl
Hugs,

Reactions: AwolPaul

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thank you all so much for your support and sound advice. I feel much better for getting it out (including a screaming sesh last night! Lol!)

Yes, I do have a meter supplied by the surgery, I suppose I got into a cycle of testing...panicking and not testing so I don't scare myself.

I do have carb/sweet cravings and I understand the more I have the worst I feel.

I am having my blood test tomorrow and seeing the DN Thurs for results. My hubby went out today and got me the Michael Moseley book. I have had a v long heart to heart with hubby and daughter and I have cried a lot and written down my pros and cons.

I have decided to refuse any other drugs and to tell the DN I intend to follow a low carb plan and to give it three months then see how I go. If I go low I will reduce or cut out my Glimperimide but I will test regularly.

I am a bit confused on high fat though so I thought the Moseley plan might help? My Cholesterol is really good but I was low on the good fats. This is what I mean....I was told not to eat Avacados but I love them and although I know they are high in calories they have good fats so in moderation surely I can have them.

Anyway, I start tomorrow, I have decided! Again, thankyou so much, I don't think anyone has a clue how hard this is unless they have it or live with someone with it.

No problem. It sounds like a plan.
I've tried a few til I reached mine.
You feel loads better when you know where your destination is! :) But even better when you know the route.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I cannot imagine why anyone would suggest no avocado's unless they are still buying into the " don't eat anything calorific" the real key to all this is realising just how satiating small portion sizes of fatty foods can be . One egg plus one rasher of bacon can be enough , as can half an avocado and a boiled egg with some mayo. I know for me, even know I often make a meal then divide it into two. I then eat the second half later in the day when I'm truly hungry. I find that sometimes that doesn't happen. Good luck with a bit of luck and a fair wind within a month you will feel like you really can do this and all is not doom and gloom.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

This is brilliant - well done you! I especially love that you talked it over (honestly) with your partner and daughter: now they know what you're going through, they'll be able to support you. You're literally not alone in this now - it can only get better.

A couple of years ago, I may have bought a cheap dining set and broken every piece int he garden which screaming obscenities at the sky. I don't care that I looked like a crazy person - it was absolutely the best therapy ever (- and a steal at £15!).

I'm just starting on my 4th week of low-carbing and am already an absolute convert. My health, confidence, energy and BG levels have all improved significantly already. Things I've noticed are:

- Carb cravings suck but don't last for long. One evening I gave in and ate a packet of crisps and felt terrible about it after. But I realise that you have to be reasonable about what you will and won't cope with. That packet took the edge off my cravings and I was able to cope with anything after.

- My initial target was 120g carbs / day, but I've found that I've naturally gravitated to around 80g. It's happened completely unconsciously, without pushing, starving or micro-managing. I filled the house with stuff I can eat freely and I grab and munch whenever I'm hungry.

- I'm hungry far less and, when I do eat because I'm hungry, I'm eating far less. I'm eating more meat than before, but it's unprocessed and traditional cuts. Protein and fat are far more efficient fuels than carbs for your body.

- I haven't given two figs about the calorie content of my food, though I keep a note of it out of curiosity. What I've noticed is my daily calorie consumption has (largely) dropped alongside my carbs. While not caring what I eat, I'm generally eating much better - vegetables and salads eaten raw as often as possible (I'm lazy) or things I can shove in the oven. I've not used the microwave in 2 weeks.

- In spite of my lack of concern for fats and calories, my weight is dropping and my health improving. While I'm on a medication (Jardiance) that promotes weight loss, I'm confident that not only is the low-carb thing helping it along but because I'm embracing it as a lifestyle (and not a diet) the weight will stay off.

- The only numbers I'm worrying about on a daily basis are my total carb intake and my BG levels.

Other people will have different targets, methods, advice - that's just my 4-week experience now I seem to have hit the plain sailing, easy bit. Set your own targets, pay attention to what your food does to you, let your body tell you what it needs. It doesn't have to be difficult at all.

And please, please, please do keep in touch. I have fingers and toes crossed for you and questions are how we all learn!

I'm not wishing you luck - you really don't need it!

Sock x

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I cannot imagine why anyone would suggest no avocado's unless they are still buying into the " don't eat anything calorific" the real key to all this is realising just how satiating small portion sizes of fatty foods can be . One egg plus one rasher of bacon can be enough , as can half an avocado and a boiled egg with some mayo. I know for me, even know I often make a meal then divide it into two. I then eat the second half later in the day when I'm truly hungry. I find that sometimes that doesn't happen. Good luck with a bit of luck and a fair wind within a month you will feel like you really can do this and all is not doom and gloom.
My thoughts exactly!! Avocado is the healthiest natural fat I know of and full of great fiber. I eat a whole one everyday and the bigger the better. It keeps my bs low and slow. No peaks or troughs. I eat 1/3 with each meal.

Like @CherryAA i make my lunch an split it. 1/2 at noon and half at 3. I eat 4-5 times a day and even a few macadamias in between.
They are truly snack sized meals though. Bf is just 1/3 avocado at 8. Lunch is 2 oz protein and avocado. Either deli chicken or turkey with avocado smashed in and rolled or chicken, turkey, egg, shrimp chopped with avocado chunked in

Dinner is usually fish ( tuna or salmon with mayo) and an avocado wedge

Then I have a small cheese snack at 5 with wine and dinner is 6-6:30. Avocado Keeps me fueled through the day. I'm never truly hungry anymore.

All my lipids have improved since the addition of avoacdo.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@CherryAA
HI Cherry I've seen quite a few of your posts and you have done really well with the weight loss and getting your bs under control. I do have concerns for you though with what you are eating all the time. I done very similar with eating bacons eggs, fatty meats and all the other high fat stuff and saw great results just like yourself within the space of a few months. Unfortunately if you are not careful I would be really concerned about damaging your arterial health in the long run.
I know this goes against all the advice on this forum but I would look at having more moderation in your consumption of fat and cholesterol based foods. IT may not seem like it right now but I really do think that people are building up problems for themselves in the future following some of the advice on here. I followed a lot of it, bacon,eggs, for breakfast or advacado and eggs, full fat yogurt with berries in the morning, chicken salad for lunch and steak salad or salmon for tea. Seeemd to work great for a while and then your blood pressure starts to rise and before you know it you're in trouble. You look back and think why on earth did I ever follow such a madcap idea of eating so much fat.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@CherryAA
HI Cherry I've seen quite a few of your posts and you have done really well with the weight loss and getting your bs under control. I do have concerns for you though with what you are eating all the time. I done very similar with eating bacons eggs, fatty meats and all the other high fat stuff and saw great results just like yourself within the space of a few months. Unfortunately if you are not careful I would be really concerned about damaging your arterial health in the long run.
I know this goes against all the advice on this forum but I would look at having more moderation in your consumption of fat and cholesterol based foods. IT may not seem like it right now but I really do think that people are building up problems for themselves in the future following some of the advice on here. I followed a lot of it, bacon,eggs, for breakfast or advacado and eggs, full fat yogurt with berries in the morning, chicken salad for lunch and steak salad or salmon for tea. Seeemd to work great for a while and then your blood pressure starts to rise and before you know it you're in trouble. You look back and think why on earth did I ever follow such a madcap idea of eating so much fat.

@determined45yearold
Thanks for the concern, I already have high blood pressure and it has gone down since I started this.( I take it myself daily ) . I measure my hba1c every two weeks, and my blood glucose 24/7 using the libre. My own cholesterol has also gone down and all my lipid profiles have got better. I am well aware that I need to keep an eye on all of these things so have the entire lot professionally tested every six months and will make adjustments accordingly because I agree with you that trying to eat a " really high fat " diet is probably not that great for you. But then again eating a lot of anything probably isn't either.

One thing I have noticed however is that often times when people talk about a high fat diet - they do mean high fat in volume as well. as opposed to proportion . For example
90 % of my drinks during the day are water or green teas. I may then have one " spiced coffee" with some kind of fat added - but my fat amounts would be for example 2 g of coconut oil, or10g of cream. I am constantly surprised when a friend might give me a coffee and pour enough cream in it for four or five of my own coffees. that 10g of cream would make my drinks proportion 90% fat - of a very low total number.

A friend of mine mentioned he has " fasting days " recently - then he explained what he allowed himself on those days - the answer was not that far from my typical daily diet which is about 1250 calories and which has resulted in a stable weight for 3 months now. .

My bacon and egg meal would be one egg, one small slice of bacon, not four of each - and of course I don't do the weekend thing very often, just if I need to get back on track.
I do know that carbs really do send my blood sugars soaring if I eat much of them at all. I also think that the insulin resistance and consequent blood sugar readings are at the root of many illnesses not just diabetes - as such increasing carb content is not an option for me.

Having read a lot of research I'm reasonably convinced that eating more than 1g of proteins per day per kg of normal weight for my height is more than enough. I can't eat carbs, so its hard to see what is left other than actual real foods of as wide a variety as possible.

A poached egg plus spinach balsamic vinegar is easily 60% fat. Periodically I test what reaction I get to a wider variety of foods including for example the odd slice of bread, or some potatoes, and if those things do continue to have small reactions then I will reintroduce them.
I also make sure my magnesium and potassium is topped up with the occasional supplement.
At present all of that makes me feel healthier than I have done for 20 years.

What has gone for good is processed foods , sweets, sugar and refined seed oils . I would be intensely surprised if by putting those things back into your diet, you regain either muscle mass or lower your blood pressure.

Last edited:

MissConStru

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Geminigirl your cry touched my heart.

I also have multiple problems which include fatigue syndrome, bowel issues, gastric reflux and chronic obesity (BMI 44). I have to be careful what I eat in the way of raw vegetables and salads as it upsets my bowel and also worsens my reflux. I've had these problems years before I became diabetic and now I feel like I'm in a really bad place.

I too looked into bariatric treatment but watched a tv programme about it and realised it definitely was NOT for me! I'm not a 'group therapy' person and couldn't stick to a diet if I was paid to! Also the "eat well plate" would be certain to give me 24hr diarrhoea and since I also have a skin condition 'down there' it would make my life even more of a living hell than presently it is. And I don't fancy spending my life on Immodium every day!

All in all, I have four conflicting conditions which are almost impossible to get sorted. What suits one is an irritant for at least one of the others! What you might really call a 'no-win' situation.

I hope you find solutions to your situation. God bless.

Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food
Hello all,

Firstly, thank you for all your help.

Well, I went to the my appt with the DN Weds, the blood sugar diet book in my paw to be told appt was cancelled till nxt Friday!

I asked for my test results, was told "it's up a bit from last time and notes say make appt with DN nurse" I asked what "up a bit means" to be told they can't tell me, I need to see the nurse. I stood and had a bit of a row saying that it ridiculous but got nowhere so I told them I will be taking it up with the surgery and the DN next week.

I know they will not approve of my low carbing but I really don't care what they think anymore. I started yesterday and have been taking my readings first thing on waking and two hrs after each meal, then bedtime. However, I am still taking my Glimperimide.

Today, my waking BG was 14.5 which I know is high.....it was 20 two days ago, astonishingly though I have not been over 10 two hrs after meals yesterday and today which is one hell of a drop as I was venturing into the 20's. I have an awful headache though.....been drinking lots of fluids and having salt on my food.

I suppose I am a bit worried about whether this is TOO low in carbs? The book doesn't really say how many grams per day these recipes are and I have been following them to the last letter. Also, I am concerned whether I will go really low while I still take the meds (I was gonna discuss with nursey) I thought if I feel this is happening I may break the tablet in half or stop it for a few days just to see. I intend to stuff my recordings under nursey's nose nxt week.

Today my plan was:
Breakfast....smoothie made with unsweetened Almond milk, Spinach, blueberries and a slice of Galia Melon.

Lunch.....no carb Ploughmans......Apple sliced up, matchbox size piece of cheese, 2 sticks of celery, a handful of Walnuts and 2 slices of lean ham.

Tea.....oven baked Salmon, grilled Asparagus and Courgette with a dip made from Creme Fraiche, Lemon zest and Dill.

No snacks, plenty of water and a couple of cups of tea with a splash of milk.

What do you think? Threes aren't many recipes in the book tbh so am going to have a looksie on the sites you all kindly sent me. If I do that, how many grams of carbs should I be looking at please?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We are too individual to be able to say just how many grams of carb will have a particular effect.
Just eat the things you find do not push your BG levels high and it should be fine.
I decided to keep my levels under 8 after eating, and then saw the readings drop to just about 7 with no alteration in the food I was eating.
Now I eat a few more carbs as I don't see any reason to try for better than normal -