Calories Matter/Don't Matter

ghost_whistler

I don't really understand those that argue calories don't matter. Surely if you are low on energy, then it must be because you aren't getting enough calories.

And if you don't eat enough, you risk losing too much weight.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For me it's the QUALITY of the calories that matter far more than the number of calories.

1200 calories of ice cream is far different than 1200 calories of fish, grass fed beef, avocado, veggies.

It's more about how your body metabolizes said calories.

Hotpepper20000

I agree with @Kristin251.
Also if I eat 500 calories of high carb my bodies response is different then 500 of leafy greens or fat. It causes me to become even more insulin resistant and with too much insulin in my body that can't be used, I gain weight.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think many people here DO find calories matter.

If you're feeling low on energy, it doesn't necessarily mean you're lacking calories though. There could be a multitude of causes.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would love to risk losing too much weight, but for me it ain't gonna happen. Never.

Hotpepper20000

I think many people here DO find calories matter.

If you're feeling low on energy, it doesn't necessarily mean you're lacking calories though. There could be a multitude of causes.
Of course calories matter, but for me I find with low carbing I don't get the extreme hunger and almost insane cravings because my BG is under control.

Reactions: Guzzler

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course calories matter, but for me I find with low carbing I don't get the extreme hunger and almost insane cravings because my BG is under control.
I agree. Also I lose weight eating around 2300 cals of mostly fat, whilst I lose none (maybe even put on some) whilst having a mixed diet of around 1500 cals

Reactions: azure

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You need the right metabolic pathways to be working correctly to be able to use food as energy.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think calories matter to a certain extent. When I was losing weight I counted carbs, protein, fat, fibre and also calories. I had targets for all of them, all set out on a spread sheet as part of my food diary. I kept to 1200 calories, kept the carbs at my desired level and adjusted the protein and fats to keep within my calorie allowance. Once all my excess weight had gone, I increased the calories by again adjusting the proteins and fats but keeping the carbs low. Once I got the balance right, my weight stabilised. For me, personally, without counting the calories I would just have been guessing. The carbs may have been right for me, but my weight loss may have stalled. It didn't stall at all. Then when I needed to stabilise, calorie counting whilst keeping the carbs the same helped me stop losing and stabilise. I didn't do it for more energy, I did it for weight management. The good energy levels just happened.

Reactions: Fleegle

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have never counted calories!
I believe that there are more important things to consider such as control of blood glucose levels, levels of carbs, portion size and eating to my glucometer.
Exercise is also more important.
It is the balance of what you eat can be the most important factor.
In the scheme of things how many calories is minor in how you get that balance.

No matter how many calories or carbs or fat you have, depending on your how you are through that day will differ from day to day.
It is the trends you see in your food diary that should dominate how to control the condition. And it will take time.

Best wishes

Md2t

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think that eating too many calories of any kind will make you fat, but that low carb diets help you naturally consume fewer calories because you feel full faster if you are getting most of your energy from good fats like olive oil, butter, cheese, grass-fed beef and belly pork. I don't aim for any particular calorie limits but I do monitor my carb and protein intake and I find that I can get all the energy I need from low carb, moderate protein and increased natural fats. My weight and blood glucose are lower and more stable than they ever were on a low-fat, calorie-restricted diet.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why would that be?

That would be an extra 90g fat a day
Because my body is fine with fat but not with carbs. Calories do matter up to a point, but for a T2 diabetic it's where those calories come from that is important. I try to have at least 100g fat per day and less than 50g carbs and less than 50g protein. I don't always manage to keep the protein that low, but that's my target. I have no upper limit on my fat intake thought don't usually feel hungry enough to need much more than 100g.

I occasionally do a fat fast (eating mostly fat and not much else) just to drop a few pounds more quickly.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Because my body is fine with fat but not with carbs. Calories do matter up to a point, but for a T2 diabetic it's where those calories come from that is important. I try to have at least 100g fat per day and less than 50g carbs and less than 50g protein. I don't always manage to keep the protein that low, but that's my target. I have no upper limit on my fat intake thought don't usually feel hungry enough to need much more than 100g.

I occasionally do a fat fast (eating mostly fat and not much else) just to drop a few pounds more quickly.
Same here!!!
I can't fast in the morning as bs keeps rising but I have done a fat fast using just avoacdo and egg yolks with mayo. What a horrible thing haha!!
I've often said I could shove a pound of butter down my throat everyday and not gain a pound and probably lose a few but a piece of bread a day and I'd gain a pound or more a day. I'm not kidding. I don't process carbs at all! Fat? Never a problem.

B

badcat

I think calories matter quite a lot at some points in weight loss / metabolic change and much less / not at all at others
I heve struggled with weight all my life and calorie counting did ****** all to help - I have clear memories of doctors telling my mum when I was about 7 or 8 that she must be lying about what she said she was feeding me because their calorie controlled diet advice wasnt working - I knew she wasnt, she knew she wasnt but the doctors were either too thick or too arrogant or both
In my early 20s I lost 6 stone in 5 1/2 months on a meal plan testing for and then avoiding food intolerances - although my calorie count significantly increased over the same time period.
When I first went low carb I lost about another stone very easily, again with increased calories but since then I do not lose or will put a couple of pounds on if I dont pay some attention to calories, things like the diet doctor meal plans are no use to me as the calorie count is very high and I also feel quite ill on the amount of fat they include - ive tried their low carb and keto meal plans several times but end up heabier and feeling sick.

Reactions: ringi

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think calories matter quite a lot at some points in weight loss / metabolic change and much less / not at all at others
I heve struggled with weight all my life and calorie counting did ****** all to help - I have clear memories of doctors telling my mum when I was about 7 or 8 that she must be lying about what she said she was feeding me because their calorie controlled diet advice wasnt working - I knew she wasnt, she knew she wasnt but the doctors were either too thick or too arrogant or both
In my early 20s I lost 6 stone in 5 1/2 months on a meal plan testing for and then avoiding food intolerances - although my calorie count significantly increased over the same time period.
When I first went low carb I lost about another stone very easily, again with increased calories but since then I do not lose or will put a couple of pounds on if I dont pay some attention to calories, things like the diet doctor meal plans are no use to me as the calorie count is very high and I also feel quite ill on the amount of fat they include - ive tried their low carb and keto meal plans several times but end up heabier and feeling sick.
I agree about diet doctor recipes. My diet is 80% fat but the recipes make me gag. Much to heavy for my taste. I don't count calories but I know they're lowish. I eat mini meals / snack four times a day as to not over load my digestion. I eat less than 30 c a day and all from avocado, nuts and above ground veggies. I also keep my protein at .8 g per kg lean body mass. Then I fill the restaurant in with fats just until satisfied. It's mostly an avocado a day, some nuts, olives, olive oil or mayo. I keep saturated fats low. Recently added a small piece of cheese and probably not the best thing for me but it's not bothering me

Food intolerances are very underestimated!! They will stall weight loss for sure.

Reactions: zand