Testing your blood sugar.

xlisa23x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Right so I have only been type 2 for about 3 weeks. My mother gave me a machine to check my blood, she's type 1 has been for 33yrs! Any way I went to the doctors on Wednesday as metformin was so agreeing with me at all and I took the machine with me to get some more of the white blood stick things (sorry I'm sure they have a proper name) and the doctor told me tht people with type 2 don't need to check there blood sugar levels. Is this correct?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Tinkle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad manners
Spicy food
Absolutely not, you need to see a different Doctor. Did Doc also say Type 2s aren't at risk of complications and that monitoring your sugar levels will not help prevent these complications??? Crazy doc.
My advice is 1. Get a new Doctor and register with the diabetic nurse now and 2. Make a formal complaint about the Doctor who is not doing anyone any favours. Test strips are expensive but dealing with complications costs a lot more.

G'luck!

Reactions: James1968

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is the usual response - I think we are supposed to wait three or six months and then find out how good our guesswork is.
I have found that, having tested for six months and got to normal test results I am pretty confident I know what and how much to eat now. I used a meter and supplies from Lidl, but there are cheaper sources - the supplies for the meter you have might be expensive so take a look for a cheap source on line.

Tinkle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad manners
Spicy food
Oh sorry....I'm honestly surprised it seems so unfair to me as a Type 1....I didn't realise Lidl sold meters though that's a good one to keep an eye open for back up stock thanks :)

xlisa23x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My doctors never gave me a meter It was one my mum wasn't using. There r a few GP's in the practice and she was the only one free. They have never tested my glucose levels either just a blood test to confirm I had it but tht maybe because I have a pathological fear of needles ( I no I no better get used to them but I panic and pass out) I will keep checking it anyway n I told her so too

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi xlisa. They are called Test strips and yes, it would be of great benefit for you to test your blood. Test before first bite of a meal then two hours after. The difference between the numbers should ideally be no more than 2mmol/ but it is a learning curve finding out which foods spike your blood glucose that is why testing is a great learning tool.
The reason your GP says that Type 2 do not have to test is simply down to what he has been told to say and because depending on your meter, the test strips can be expensive to prescribe (and self fund).
Hope this helps.

Reactions: xlisa23x

xlisa23x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I have already figured out what spikes my levels and it carbs mainly bread n pasta my two favourite things . My dad is type 2 too and he can eat anything he likes and still have good levels.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You may be surprised at which seemingly inocuous foods spike your blood. Recently I have been having greek yoghurt and berries for breakfast but I wasn't happy with my numbers so now I have it after my evening meal and it doesn't spike my blood glucose, job's a goodun.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Absolutely not, you need to see a different Doctor. Did Doc also say Type 2s aren't at risk of complications and that monitoring your sugar levels will not help prevent these complications??? Crazy doc.
My advice is 1. Get a new Doctor and register with the diabetic nurse now and 2. Make a formal complaint about the Doctor who is not doing anyone any favours. Test strips are expensive but dealing with complications costs a lot more.

G'luck!

Not sure a complaint will have any effect at all as it is standard practice to telL type 2s they don't need to test...and @xlisa23x seeing a different doctor would probably be a total waste of your time. I was given a monitor partly because I was in a transplant unit at the time but generally type 2s don't get meters on the NHS and most (ie. 90% or thereabouts of doctors and nurses) will say it is not required. Yes, it's ridiculous...yes the whole lot of them need to be better trained in this regard (and in relation to appropriate diets) ...yes, budget is absolutely a huge fact in the rubbish getting spewed out... but I would not want a newly diagnosed Type 2 to think that this is about one particular doctor. Most Type 2s on this site have had to buy their own meters.

Last edited:

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @xlisa23x ..
There is a lot of conflicting information around but the key point to take on board is that managing and controlling your diabetes (or pre-diabetes) through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward for many people. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I see that @ daisy1 for you and I suggest that you read up on the Low Carb Program in the information that she has sent you. You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. together with the following Diet Doctor websites, which will give you all the info that you need on what and what not to eat ...
Low Carb Intro and Information and Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

Unless you are prescribed test strips by your doctor for the meter you have (unlikely), it is a top priority that get this organised and, for this, the following websites might help:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 or:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.
I have both which I alternate for comparative purposes and I have never found any significant difference between them.

The costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on your meter or strips.
For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:
5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £38.45
10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £76.90
For the TEE 2, the strips are £7.75 for a pack of 50 .. but there are no discount codes currently available

I'm testing 3-5 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for either of the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I can now manage them

Hope this helps

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Get away from this needle phobia @xlisa23x ... you have to test, like it or not. It is NOT a big deal. Lancets are NOT like traditional needles at all. Something you have to jump over so please do it. Put it this way, when I get my bloods taken, it hurts but I don't care. BG meters are very simple

xlisa23x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Get away from this needle phobia @xlisa23x ... you have to test, like it or not. It is NOT a big deal. Lancets are NOT like traditional needles at all. Something you have to jump over so please do it. Put it this way, when I get my bloods taken, it hurts but I don't care. BG meters are very simple
Hmm easier said then done tht I can prick my finger okay now but can't the needle get over tht

Last edited: