Time for new NHS diet guidelines?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly you could have millions of people on this forum saying go low-carb and still the 'experts' in the big establishments would say it's anecdotal and look to their food-industry financed researchers to give them 'scientifically' proven answers. It's corporate Group-think with hidden agendas and a sad reflection on the way the world works. I'm afraid we just have to keep sniping every way and every where we can and it will slowly change.
I think so. In the end we have to do what we feel is best for us.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How many millions more people will have to die horribly in suffering until this changes. Conspiracy is the understatement and for the sake of money millions of people all being sacrificed horribly by the drug companies. The guys selling drugs on the corner have killed less people than the drug companies!
My doctor - the best of the bunch at our local surgery - is so blinkered that she is unable to see why my numbers are so good.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had a few of those in the past then read somewhere they are loaded with carbs.
It may have been on here?
There was confusion with the Lidl Low GI rolls which unfortunately do have high carbs. The High Protein triangular rolls are the ones to have.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

frankbegbie

There was confusion with the Lidl Low GI rolls which unfortunately do have high carbs. The High Protein triangular rolls are the ones to have.
Yes, those are the ones I was having.
Bought a Burgen Loaf earlier with some Crumpets and Muffins.

I intend eating these when I'm due for a swim, (4 times per week).
It;'s just for a bit of variety really also an experiment to compare my energy levels when swimming.

I start tomorrow, (Saturday)

Woolley187

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There are loads of success stories on this site of Type 2 diabetics following low carb diets and getting great results. I've reversed my diabetes by diet alone and stopped injecting insulin 5-times-a-day as a result. So how come the NHS are still issuing dietary guidelines encouraging eating pasta??? with links to other websites where they encourage a balanced diet including eating bread, potatoes, bananas, dates, prunes... foods known to spike glucose levels?

Are any of the doctors and professors on the at Diabetes.co.uk advisory panel in a position to have a word with diabetic Theresa May about the NHS changing their guidelines?
Yes the nhs remain in the dark ages as regards LCHF diets but give them a little time as it was not long ago that DUK were still wedded to HCLF.

Fearless36

Theresa May is a diabetic herself. When I went from Novomix to the Novorapid and Lantus - I complained that I felt I was injecting too much (x5 a day) whereas I used to inject 2x a day. I was told that Theresa May injects 5x a day and that was "normal".

frankbegbie

Do you ever get the feeling they really are ALL in it together?
The Government, big business, the banks, even the criminals, all trying to get their hands on our cash.
By any means that they can use.
Poisoning us with their food then selling us the drugs and treatment to 'cure' us.
It's the perfect crime.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Theresa May is a diabetic herself. When I went from Novomix to the Novorapid and Lantus - I complained that I felt I was injecting too much (x5 a day) whereas I used to inject 2x a day. I was told that Theresa May injects 5x a day and that was "normal".
If you don't split the Basal which often does not really need splitting you only have 4 injections per day - a small saving. Note that for T1s, Basal/Bolus is the NICE standard and does give the best control.

JuliaAR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
@JSG207 - The DCUK Advisory panel includes some very powerful characters, in varying roles with in the medical and allied professions.

DCUK is doing a massive amount of work on behalf of all diabetics, and the commitment to establishing and further developing the Low Carb and other educational programmes surely demonstrates their commitment to making health outcomes better for those living with diabetes?

Changes within the NHS (or any other massive organisation) are always frustratingly slow for reasons we all probably understand, to an extent, and others that just seem bewildering, irrespective of the actual desired change.

On a personal level, I am quite heavily involved in one of the country's main diabetes and lifestyle research centres (in the widest sense of both diabetes and lifestyle). There's a huge amount going on there too.

All research studies and trials take time to conduct, write up, publish, have peer reviewed, then usually a much bigger study of the same topic. Those things all take time and involve serial funding applications; not all of which are assured, no matter how credible any of us think x, y or z piece of research is.

Well done to all of you who are trying to change the current dietary trend. The more people and organisations that get behind this the more likely it is that fellow sufferers of diabetes will be given a better choice in their diabetes management rather than having to accept a very narrow mantra of drugs and the present diet advice given out by GPs and the NHS. Good luck with your research.