A Step in the right direction.

S

Sean01

I've been T2 for two years - metformin time release, diet and a lot of exercise. I walk at least once a day. My base line is 30 mins at a fair pace on an incline treadmill. (The speed and angle are not important.)

Walking works and it would see that the latest campaign from the NHS is to encourage more of us to walk more often as a form of exercise.

Benefits for T2

It helps manage your blood sugars
It has all the usual health benefits associated with exercise
It can help loose a few pounds
And most importantly......
It gives us the opportunity for a bit of personal space and 'me-time'

I am a member of an internet based exercise club,. We meet up every January (to burn off the excesses of Christmas) and every June so that we can get ready for the summer. The idea is that we post what we have done and if the mood takes you, try to post it in a humerous and light hearted way. It is not a bragging site. There are marathon runners out there and then there's me - 30 mins on the treadmill, day in day out.

The idea is that you exercise every day for the whole month. IT WORKS.

So here's my idea

To set up a similar page (right here, right now) just join in.

The winter is coming. It's easy to shrug off the opportunity for outdoor exercise and take a step backwards, but this can be a positive opportunity to take a step in the right direction - literally.

So...........walking, swimming, cycling, an aerobics class or just taking the dog for a walk. whatever it is that you do to help your diabetes management, share your activity with others. Have fun not just in posting, but also in what you do.

Somewhere along the way, you will motivate yourself to keep going and not miss a session. You may motivate others to join in or keep up (just by doing something every day) and you may just possibly help somebody out there gain better control of their diabetes.

So...
join in
Spread the word
Help others to gain control/get better

And it doesn't matter how much you do or how little you do. I have diabetes every day - that's why I manage it every day - with exercise.

I hope this takes off. From the blog site, i am very aware that there are some people out there who just need a little encouragement and to see that they can follow good habits laid down by others.

Thank you for listening

Sean (T2 Oct 15, met time release, diet and exercise (walking, a lot, and weight lifting.)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Sean01 Great post and well done on your walking :)

It's something we are currently looking into so bear with us as it's set up, great idea and great initiative to help people both mentally and physically, so much focus is placed on eating the right food, however exercise is something that anyone and everyone can participate in, it's free and it's readily available everywhere !

S

Sean01

Hi @Sean01 Great post and well done on your walking :)

It something we are currently looking into so bear with us as it's set up, great idea and great initiative to help people both mentally and physically, so much focus is placed on eating the right food, however exercise is something that anyone and everyone can participate in, it's free and it's readily available everywhere !
Thank you for getting in contact. From my limited exposure on the blog site I have become aware that there are some who need a bit of support or something to join in. It will be great if something is set up and then publicised
Sean

Reactions: lovinglife

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is such a good idea. I have not exercised in yearsand the thought of starting again is very daunting. I am going swimming in an aquasize class tonight and really not looking forward to it.
A supportive group who knows my struggle would really help.

Reactions: Sean01 and Pipp

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great idea Sean and I like the fact you make it for ANY exercise. My cousin's husband reversed his prediabetes, but goes for a walk daily and will not hear of anything else as being remotely as good. I have no cartilage in my knees so I combine rehab routines with cardio and see, to have the same results.

I once joined a Fitbit group (big mistake!) but... they had this walk to mordor and back thing that I might try and find the link for to include here. Might appeal to some LOTR-minded folk!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I manage my health by walking the dog, especially having one that pulls and weaves about when on the lead. Having a dog forces me to walk twice a day. Housework also counts, and that can be very strenuous at times if cleaning lots of large windows, or lugging a heavy vacuum cleaner round the house, not to mention cleaning hard floors, and all that bending and lifting, plus of course fair-weather gardening. It all counts. We don't need to be gym bunnies or attempting squats.
I'm lucky to live on the edge of a market town surrounded by lovely countryside, so walking can be a delight as well as healthy. Not so sure about housework being a delight - and it pushes my BS up. :arghh: For those city dwellers, there are always parks.

Reactions: Glenmac and Sean01

vinayphy72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have type 2 diabetes ,take oral medicine i do jogging regularly nearly 5k from last 1 year (nearly 5 times in a week) , tomorrow I saw some traces of blood during urination....can anyone tell me plz what is the cause of it ? :banghead:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have type 2 diabetes ,take oral medicine i do jogging regularly nearly 5k from last 1 year (nearly 5 times in a week) , tomorrow I saw some traces of blood during urination....can anyone tell me plz what is the cause of it ? :banghead:

Hi @vinayphy72
That must be a worry for you.
Unfortunately, members are not allowed to give this sort of medical advice. It is not something I would neglect, though. A visit to the GP would be best.
Hope you can get answers from GP, and all is well soon. Please keep posting and let us know how you get on.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great thread, @Sean01 .
I think we can get quite complacent about exercising. Particularly as the season changes and daylight hours are few. It is so easy to become a bit of a couch potato. (Can you tell I have a bit of a guilty conscience here?)
Although I believe it is not possible to exercise away a bad diet, I find that exercise does make me feel well, I am more likely to eat smaller portions as it is not comfortable exercising after over-indulging, and I generally feel better. Also as I get older, I want to make sure muscle wastage is kept to a minimum, and joints stay mobile.

That said, I know for some, exercise is a dirty word, or some believe, due to impairments, that they are not able to exercise. Just an increase in activity, and moving a bit more than usual can be beneficial though. A few years ago, I had to use a wheelchair, I had a spinal injury from a road accident some 20 + years ago, found chair based exercise, water based exercise, and just making use of garden furniture to hold onto enabled me to become more mobile.

A member here, @Jamrox used to start motivational threads where people pledged to just do a bit more activity than usual for a set period of time. Several members joined in. We encouraged and motivated each other.

Reactions: Sean01

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is such a good idea. I have not exercised in yearsand the thought of starting again is very daunting. I am going swimming in an aquasize class tonight and really not looking forward to it.
A supportive group who knows my struggle would really help.

I do understand. I was afraid to go to the swimming pool for a very long time as I had gained weight, and was struggled to exercise without pain due to a spinal injury. Swimming and aqufit sessions did not hurt, and soon I became addicted.
Hope the aquasize class has the same effect for you @Kentoldlady1

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here you go - the Fitbit group were super zealous (I wore mine for TDEE only, they would step obsessively) but when I was commuting to the city back when I had a real job, this was fun to see how many miles I had racked up... someone here might really enjoy it.

I might start logging this again next year and see how far I get to Mordor and back running around between matches!

Walk to Mordor
458m Go from Hobbiton to Rivendell
462m Set out with the Fellowship from Rivendell, through Moria, to Lothlorien
389m From Lothlorien, down the Anduin, to Rauros Falls
470m Follow Frodo and Sam on the quest from Rauros to Mt. Doom
535m From Minas Tirith to Isengard
693m From Isengard to Rivendell
397m From Rivendell to Bag End
467m Bonus: Follow Frodo to the Grey Havens and return home with Sam

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I've been T2 for two years - metformin time release, diet and a lot of exercise. I walk at least once a day. My base line is 30 mins at a fair pace on an incline treadmill. (The speed and angle are not important.)

Walking works and it would see that the latest campaign from the NHS is to encourage more of us to walk more often as a form of exercise.

Benefits for T2

It helps manage your blood sugars
It has all the usual health benefits associated with exercise
It can help loose a few pounds
And most importantly......
It gives us the opportunity for a bit of personal space and 'me-time'

I am a member of an internet based exercise club,. We meet up every January (to burn off the excesses of Christmas) and every June so that we can get ready for the summer. The idea is that we post what we have done and if the mood takes you, try to post it in a humerous and light hearted way. It is not a bragging site. There are marathon runners out there and then there's me - 30 mins on the treadmill, day in day out.

The idea is that you exercise every day for the whole month. IT WORKS.

So here's my idea

To set up a similar page (right here, right now) just join in.

The winter is coming. It's easy to shrug off the opportunity for outdoor exercise and take a step backwards, but this can be a positive opportunity to take a step in the right direction - literally.

So...........walking, swimming, cycling, an aerobics class or just taking the dog for a walk. whatever it is that you do to help your diabetes management, share your activity with others. Have fun not just in posting, but also in what you do.

Somewhere along the way, you will motivate yourself to keep going and not miss a session. You may motivate others to join in or keep up (just by doing something every day) and you may just possibly help somebody out there gain better control of their diabetes.

So...
join in
Spread the word
Help others to gain control/get better

And it doesn't matter how much you do or how little you do. I have diabetes every day - that's why I manage it every day - with exercise.

I hope this takes off. From the blog site, i am very aware that there are some people out there who just need a little encouragement and to see that they can follow good habits laid down by others.

Thank you for listening

Sean (T2 Oct 15, met time release, diet and exercise (walking, a lot, and weight lifting.)

vinayphy72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @vinayphy72
That must be a worry for you.
Unfortunately, members are not allowed to give this sort of medical advice. It is not something I would neglect, though. A visit to the GP would be best.
Hope you can get answers from GP, and all is well soon. Please keep posting and let us know how you get on.
Thanks Pipp... I am new in this forum will you plz explain little what is GP ?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry @vinayphy72
GP is your doctor. It means General Practitioner.

Welcome to the forum. @daisy1 will post some information for you, soon.

Best wishes

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello @Sean01

Agree it's a great post. I try to walk at least 3 X a week with my son and find it a great way to 1: exercise 2: have a nice chat with him away from the computer.

In work I stand for most of the day but try to move around as much as possible. Have a great weekend everyone me and better half off to coombe abbey for the weekend, so a walk through the lovely grounds are a must X

Reactions: Sean01
S

Sean01

Great idea Sean and I like the fact you make it for ANY exercise. My cousin's husband reversed his prediabetes, but goes for a walk daily and will not hear of anything else as being remotely as good. I have no cartilage in my knees so I combine rehab routines with cardio and see, to have the same results.

I once joined a Fitbit group (big mistake!) but... they had this walk to mordor and back thing that I might try and find the link for to include here. Might appeal to some LOTR-minded folk!
The internet is a marvelous thing. I once walked to Scotland in search of the 9th Legion with Michael fasbender - he had a dodgy leg too.

Reactions: RFSMarch
S

Sean01

Hello @Sean01

Agree it's a great post. I try to walk at least 3 X a week with my son and find it a great way to 1: exercise 2: have a nice chat with him away from the computer.

In work I stand for most of the day but try to move around as much as possible. Have a great weekend everyone me and better half off to coombe abbey for the weekend, so a walk through the lovely grounds are a must X
Great place - Have a great week end

S

Sean01

Hi
You may want to speak with a urologist. Could e kidney stones, but I'm not a doctor

S

Sean01

Here you go - the Fitbit group were super zealous (I wore mine for TDEE only, they would step obsessively) but when I was commuting to the city back when I had a real job, this was fun to see how many miles I had racked up... someone here might really enjoy it.

I might start logging this again next year and see how far I get to Mordor and back running around between matches!

Walk to Mordor
458m Go from Hobbiton to Rivendell
462m Set out with the Fellowship from Rivendell, through Moria, to Lothlorien
389m From Lothlorien, down the Anduin, to Rauros Falls
470m Follow Frodo and Sam on the quest from Rauros to Mt. Doom
535m From Minas Tirith to Isengard
693m From Isengard to Rivendell
397m From Rivendell to Bag End
467m Bonus: Follow Frodo to the Grey Havens and return home with Sam
Those distances seem short - Peter Jackson managed to stretch it out for 3 long films. Did Frodo get lost?. My house name is Rivendell, so journey to Rivendell for me 0 m.