Disposing of Lancets?

DeafDiabetic

As a relevant "newcomer" to diabetes can anybody here please advise me of best and safest way of disposing of lancets after they've been used?

Thanks

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
sharps bin here too :D

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Always the sharps bin together with the used test-strips and morning pen needle.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Put the little "Stub" back on and then the sharps bin.
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
The Sharp's bin every time !

Dippy3103

I am very very bad.. I change my lancet about once a week and put the tab bit over the needle then wrap the thing up and put it in the dustbin.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Dippy3103 said:
I am very very bad.. I change my lancet about once a week and put the tab bit over the needle then wrap the thing up and put it in the dustbin.

Now that is baaad ! Mind you, you are in good company - there are many who do what you do. Trouble is all that usually ends up in landfill and is not incinerated like it should be. Once there it is exposed to all and sundry who find their way about the sites. It also exposes refuse operatives to risks such as 'needle stick' injuries ! That's one of the reasons why the disposal of such things is regulated.

Promise me you will try harder ! :)

Ken

Janemm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I always use my sharps bin. [When On holiday I take a small jar and transfer the contents to my sharps bin on my return home] When My bin is full I take it to the surgery to have it repleaced.
take care

Dippy3103

I don't have a sharps bin. I do usually shove said lancet in something when wrapped! Afraid test strips just go in the bin as they are on the basis that they are not sharp!
I have located an old coffee jar which I will put said lancet in... Will take ne ages to fill it and will ponder on what to do with the thing when full.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Dippy3103 said:
I have located an old coffee jar which I will put said lancet in... Will take ne ages to fill it and will ponder on what to do with the thing when full.
Have you enquired about your local council's clinical waste policy? I rang mine and they delivered a sharps bin which they will collect and replace when full by me calling the same number

Dippy3103

Thanks, will give them a ring.
What about used test strips, should they be treated as clinical waste or are they ok in the bin?

jopar

If you've got a sharps bin then in the bin

If you haven't then you need to ensure that it doesn't become a prick hazard..

A empty test strip cansister are useful, but any closeable container will do, just ensure that it's not going to flip open or break easily when in the bin if it's likely then packing tape comes in very handy..

I'm lucky has I've got the multi-click finger pricker, so all contained in a drum that can be dumped in the bin..

cugila

Master
Dislikes
To the OP - this link gives an insight into the safe disposal of items used by Diabetic's. It is from just one local health Authority and is one of hundreds advising people to dispose of the items safely. You could also check out what DUK has to say on the subject - their advice is the same as ours.

Now all we can do is give out to members what is the correct and advised method of disposal. 'dumping' them in a household bin isn't an option, as the article states - technically it is illegal. As a responsible Diabetic we should always strive to do the best practice. I suppose it all depends on how motivated you are to protect the environment and above all our fellow citizens. I think this is an area where personal choice shouldn't really come into it. Do what you know is the right thing.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... ent=ms-rim

Whatever you do - it is your choice and your responsibility.

Dollyrocker

When I was diagnosed 16 years ago I was told to put needles in their plastic covers on a plastic bottle and when full to tape it up securely and put in the normal bin :shock: I only got a sharps bin about 5 years ago and I had to ask for it. It took me about a month to get the full one collected a d replaced too as they'd given me the wrong one and I had to decant that one into the correct one :roll:

Speak to your local council/health authority but don't expect them yo be helpful!

Dippy3103

I suppose I could do better. I thought in putting the cap back on I was doing my best but I could do more. Point taken.

Snodger

don't feel bad Dippy, I bet there are lots out there who just aren't posting coz they know they chuck their sharps in the dustbin and don't want to get told off on the forum.

(like me. ahem).

jaykay

Good topic OP! I didn't know what to do with mine, so I put them in a clear bottle with a screw top ( old water bottle or something like) and...... erm....bin them :oops: