Personal Reality Check!!

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
I have been getting excellent BG results lately. For a fortnight, I never got a reading above the 5's.
I was beginning to think that either a miracle had happened or maybe I was a special case where my pancreas had recovered itself or maybe even my diabetes was only temporary.
So I decided to conduct an experiment.
My non-diabetic wife and I both ate together :-
1 Mars bar, 2 chocolate biscuits, a slice of bread and a chewy cereal bar.

Her 2 hour bg test ? 5.2

My 2 hour bg test ? 12.8!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

The highest reading I have had for over 12 months!!!

Back to the drawing board.....Miracle cure anybody?? :lol:

All the best - Steve

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Steve,

I'm surprised that you found your 2 hour reading shocking after what you ate, the combination of those foods would send my bg through the roof and I would cover with insulin, so for you being diet controlled it doesn't come as any surprise to me that your bg hit 12.8 after 2 hours, I bet it may have been even higher 1 hour after eating!

Now you know miracles don't happen I trust you will return to your normal diet after this experiment. :)

Regards

Nigel

RoyJ

Steve,

You're not alone in hoping miracles can happen!

I've done it, and not just the once, but I think the reality check afterwards gets me motivated to get on top of my diet and be stricter. My diet always improves after one of these reality checks!

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
if i ate that mine would be higher :?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
totsy said:
if i ate that mine would be higher

I was thinking the self same thing totsy :?

If youve had good control for a while its easy to think you can get away with more than you can.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Steve.

Miracle cure........ :?: I should change your wife for a Diabetic model........ :wink:

Then you won't feel so bad........ :lol:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow that much would have had me on planet zog so I would have been impressed with those numbers if I had eaten that much :lol: - I have had 1 mars bar (shared with my son) once since diagnosis and that was to treat a small hypo (nothing else was to hand on a cold railway station) - I shot up from 3.4 to 9.8!

I do understand your temptation though - it take a will of iron sometimes doesn't it? and we are all guilty of sometimes trying to "beat the system" - and it can be a useful tool to remind us that no matter how good our number we are just too sweet for own good :wink:

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a good laugh at the dietary advice given in a booklet by the nurse today. As has been documented on here lots of carbs are the order of the day. Erm no, I think
I will carry on low carbing thanks.

Ali

k9kitty

OMG, if I ate a mars bar I would be totally zzzzz'd.

Please don't give yourself another PRC. You don't need that. If your in the 5's bg wise you are obviously doing something right. At the moment I think for most diabetics, once diagnosed it's a case of getting a new lifelong companion health wise.