Prediabetes Glycemic Index vs Insulinemic Index

d.fercal

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hello! I’ve been recently diagnosed as insulin-resistant/hyperinsulinemic. I’m starting to understand how the glycemic index works but it confuses me very much that certain foods which have a relatively low GI might have a high Insulinemic Index. Since I should be very careful to foods which stimulate a high insulin production I’ve searched for clear tables that show both indexes well but didn’t find any. If by chance you have some suggestions on food groups or sites/tables to check out it would be very helpful!
Thank you very much

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This is where confusion reigns with some T2 diabetes diagnosis.
Especially for the NHS guidelines on nutrition.
Or to you and me the eat well plate.

Even though the likes of low GI foods such as bread, the amount of carbs in it would probably cause your blood glucose levels to go up.
When really what you need is not the spikes created by your being hyperinsulinaemic and probably intolerant to wheat or gluten.

Do take the advice that having low insulin trigger foods is better for you than the low GI foods.
I have overhauled my diet after finding the index.

Reactions: d.fercal

d.fercal

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
This is where confusion reigns with some T2 diabetes diagnosis.
Especially for the NHS guidelines on nutrition.
Or to you and me the eat well plate.

Even though the likes of low GI foods such as bread, the amount of carbs in it would probably cause your blood glucose levels to go up.
When really what you need is not the spikes created by your being hyperinsulinaemic and probably intolerant to wheat or gluten.

Do take the advice that having low insulin trigger foods is better for you than the low GI foods.
I have overhauled my diet after finding the index.

Thank you for the advice! Yes I agree, as you said I’m trying to be particular careful about insulin spikes rather than just glucose. For example I’ve found some scary indexes on dairy products which I was totally unaware of

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, that will be the lactose, a form of glucose!
That is why low fat dairy is really not recommended for those with hyperinsulinaemia.
If you want dairy, full fat has little or no carbs to trigger the insulin response.
I'm lactose intolerant, but I can eat full fat Greek yogurt, without a problem. But I'm weird!

It is a different approach to how diabetes and other endocrine conditions are controlled.

Reactions: d.fercal

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So the insulinemic index figures might be wrong then?

I have no idea! They are about as likely to be right as the glycaemic index is. Like the GI it all falls apart when you combine foods. Have a look at eggs in the Christopher Green insulin table as an example. Egg yolk is low if eaten alone. Egg white is high if eaten alone. A whole egg is higher than a yolk, but not by much, and a lot less than an egg white. The GI index is also calculated on eating just that food, nothing with it. In the insulin index, most fruit is very high. Cream is very low. I wonder what happens when they are combined?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So the insulinemic index figures might be wrong then?

I wouldn’t have thought that the accuracy was important, i would take it as a guideline and test for yourself how intolerant you are to that specific food.
Only by testing yourself will you find how high the spike is.

Where the people tested have an imbalance in the endocrine system or not?
Did they test diabetics and people with hyperinsulinaemia.

A common theme on here is that we are different in how we tolerate food.
What works for you definitely would not work for me.

Best wishes

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn’t have thought that the accuracy was important, i would take it as a guideline and test for yourself how intolerant you are to that specific food.
Only by testing yourself will you find how high the spike is.

Where the people tested have an imbalance in the endocrine system or not?
Did they test diabetics and people with hyperinsulinaemia.

A common theme on here is that we are different in how we tolerate food.
What works for you definitely would not work for me.

Best wishes

With the greatest respect @Lamont D we are talking about the insulin index and insulin spikes, not glucose spikes. We can't test that routinely. If only we could. Some of the foods high on the insulin index wouldn't spike our glucose levels at all - turkey breast for example, but do cause a high insulin spike. (apparently)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
With the greatest respect @Lamont D we are talking about the insulin index and insulin spikes, not glucose spikes. We can't test that routinely. If only we could. Some of the foods high on the insulin index wouldn't spike our glucose levels at all - turkey breast for example, but do cause a high insulin spike. (apparently)

I think the point I was making was it is only a guide not how to measure it.
But glucose testing is difficult enough without trying to understand why insulin plays such an important part of how we control our blood glucose levels.
Surprised at chicken as well!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Most type 2 diabetics are insulin resistant and have hyperinsulinemia long before blood sugar rises. This is not a separate issue from type 2 for most people, just the early stages.