Foods equivalent for the Newcastle Diet?

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read that the Newcastle Diet (ND) can reverse diabetes after 8 weeks of a low-carb and low-calorie diet based on liquid meal-replacement shakes and green vegetables. The shakes used were OptiFast and the shake part of the Cambridge Diet.

Tesco and ASDA in UK sell meal replacements UltraSlim and Great Shape respectively. These have essentially the same specification as OptiFast and Cambridge diet:

Product KCAL Fat Carb(Sugar) Fibre Protein £/meal
OptiFast 160 3.5g 18(4)g 3g 16g 3.00
Cambridge 200 2.6g 27(18)g 2.g 15.8g 2.30
UltraSlim 201 3.1g 26(18)g 2.8g 16.5g 0.40-0.50
Great Shape 201 3.4g 23(18)g 4.5g 17g 0.50-0.60

and also contain Vitamins and Minerals, but less than typical over-the-counter supplements.

Tuna sandwich on wholemeal slice and 50g tuna + multivitamin tablet:
Item KCAL Fat Carb(Sugar) Fibre Protein £/item
Slice 90 0.7g 15.1(1.6)g 2.7g 4g 0.05
Tuna 60 0.4g 0(0) - 13g 0.60
Vittabl. 0.05
-----------------------------------------------------------------
150 1.1 15 2.7 17g 0.70

Q1. Are the four meal-replacement shakes equivalent for the Newcastle Diet? If not, why?

Q2. The nutrient content shown by Tesco/ASDA for the tuna sandwich is about the same as the shakes above. Then is the sandwich equivalent to the shakes for the Newcastle diet? If not, why?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think Most diet shakes have thickeners added that swell with water and as a result keep you feeling fuller for longer, so I would imagine a sandwich would leave you hungrier sooner. Also it looks like the shakes are higher protein and protein will keep you fuller.

Mark_1

I think the main thing is the 800 calories and not the details of what it’s made up from. I’d pick whatever you can put up with for 8 weeks rather than which is closest to the original diet. I think the shakes where just used for convenience and to easily track individuals during a study.

Reactions: resander

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There a book that does it with real food, "The 8 Week Blood Suger Diet", therefore no point in reinventing the wheel.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mark: I totally agree with you, i.e. the content spec of a meal should be near:

MEAL REPLACEMENT (for 3 meals - breakfast, lunch, dinner)
200 kcal for energy,
25-35g for carbohydrates,
2-3g for fibre,
17g for protein

GREEN VEGETABLES 200kcal/day

for all of them (to exclude unsuitable combinations) as specified for the Newcastle Diet.
That is good news because I would not be able put up with liquid shakes three times per day. Solid food and perhaps a very infrequent shake would be a lot better.

Last edited:

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I recall ProfessorRoy Taylor said in a talk I watch on youtube, that you should not stress over vitamin etc, as nearly all “well fed” people have more than enough stored for 8 weeks.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I have some reservations about the ND not because it doesn't work but because it focuses on calories rather carbs and carbs are generally our problem. As fat has twice the calories of carbs don't be tempted to replace fats with carbs if you want to make changes as you would end up with a lot of carbs but possibly still be 800 calories

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally, though the carb content is a worry, that's the method that achieved success and I wouldn't want to mess with any variables. For 8 weeks, returning to 'normal' carb eating is probably not such a bad thing, if the eventual outcome is substantially lowered BG or even a normalised pancreatic response to glucose.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried something like this a few months ago but thought I'd try an Ultra low carb - extended fasting - low calorie diet.
I only did it for a week but it was fairly sustainable .. thread is here

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/should-this-be-the-ultimate-diet.125320/

worked ok while I did it although just saw my starting weight and it is the same as I was this morning but then again I only did it for a week.... maybe I should join you on the 8 week challenge although I am rather fond of turkey so it will have to be a New Year regime perhaps.