Vitamin D - crucial (with Vit K)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Looking at this data, it seems that everyone should be aiming for 75 or above - so something to keep an eye on !
I don't know what my vitamin D level is. It doesn't seem to be shown on my HbA1c test results.
I do take Vitamin D and Vitamin K capsules, and walk for at least an hour daily. and sit in the park when it's sunny.
I also go somewhere sunny for a winter holiday.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know what my vitamin D level is. It doesn't seem to be shown on my HbA1c test results.
I do take Vitamin D and Vitamin K capsules, and walk for at least an hour daily. and sit in the park when it's sunny.
I also go somewhere sunny for a winter holiday.

I didn't know mine, either, so last November when it was time for my HbA1c I asked for vit D, B12, and folate to be included. I rang the receptionist who passed the message through to my GP. She obliged with no questions asked. She also threw in ferritin, iron and iron saturation and binding. My Vit D was 65, which I was pleased about with it being November.

I tried to find recommended amounts and couldn't help but notice wide discrepancies as to a good level. Goal posts moved with every document I read. The most consistent I could find were
under 25 is deficient
25 to 50 is insufficient
over 50 is sufficient
over 200 is too much

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks @Bluetit1802 My Annual HbA1c is now due, though I might put it off for a few weeks. But I'll ask GP to include my Vitamin D levels too, I think it should be good.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wondering if you supplement with D3 and K2 and if so do you have any recommendations for variants or brand please?

CoastGirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wondering if you supplement with D3 and K2 and if so do you have any recommendations for variants or brand please?
I take Vit D3 and K2 in an oral combined spray from Better You. When I haven't used this I take D3 oral spray from Better You and K2 in capsule form from Solgar.

Reactions: col101

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Remember that from autumn through to spring in the northern hemisphere the sun's rays hit us at a low angle thus the very low levels of UVB light reaches us UBV is responsible for triggering vitD manufacture by the skin. It is thought now that most people who live in our part of the world are vitD deficient to some degree through the winter as it cannot be stored for very long by the body.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also skin colour can play a part, ie melanin acts as a UV blocker and reduces natural vitamin D production. So dark skinned people have a higher risk of vitamin D deficiency at higher latitudes.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine was only tested by accident ( the hospital had appended someone elses results rlating to another condition onto my diabetes clinic report to gp letter).
My Vit D came back as 16 so highly deficient - 8 weeks of high dose supplementation followed by maintainance dose for life followed
Vit D manufacture by the body is apparently massively affected by wearing sunscreen - my consultant advised not wearing any for the first 15-30 mins of sun exposure ( depending on the intensity of the sun)

Natt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I recently saw that DRI in Miami has an ongoing clinical trial for T1D called POSEIDON which administers high doses of vitamin D and Omega 3 to T1 patients.They do not necessarily look at it as a cure but rather explore whether it can and how much affect glucose control.
I was wandering has any one been taking vitamin D for extended periods of time and what efect, if any, did it have on your control?
Thanks
Natt