Postives and Negatives

jimmysmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone, so I'm gonna be getting a pump, all very exciting and terrifying at the same time.

Going to have the choice between the Medtronic and the Accu-Chek Insight. Just wondering what the pluses and the negatives are of each. I have to admit that I do like the sound of the Accu-Chek due to the little handset you get (I'm a bit of techie) but the Medtronic sounds good as well and I think I'll have a better chance of starting on a Medtronic sooner then the Accu-Chek.

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @jimmysmith I have to admit I think it’s best not to have a choice when starting out as it’s such a big decision to make, I was given the Medtronic so can only speak from experience and say it’s been great, yes the cannulas can be a bit fiddly but have short ones and wear a pump belt so transportation is easy, they all have similar functionality, have had one pump fail but customer service is excellent so this was a minor issue. Look on YouTube for vids on both to see how they are rated by users, I did my research on there :)

Reactions: jimmysmith

Keturah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This was my problem when I was going onto a pump! I thought I’d be best with the accu-check as I liked the idea of the handset and I wasn’t keen on the idea of getting something with a tube attached to me out in public (my issue at the time - I’d never inject in public etc) and I knew the brand and liked their blood tests. But after really, really looking into it I found a few comments about the connection between the handset and main set and time it took etc which made me doubt it. Medtronic was more popular here and due to the speed of replacement/swapping if there were to ever be an issue (matter of hours as customer service is of v. high importance to them) I decided it was probably a better choice to at least start on (thinking I could change in 4 years if I still wanted or if another has come out with less issues). Hence I now have Medtronic, don’t have an issue with pulling it out in public, tbh I’m quite proud of it, and I would not change it. But look into it, decide what’s important for you! Good luck ;)

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was deciding between pumps, I went to the diabetes educator and was actually shown the two options they offered, as well as given info booklets about them. If possible you could try to set up a similar appointment, where you can see the pumps and play with them for a bit to see what you might like or dislike about them.

Reactions: jimmysmith

jimmysmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was deciding between pumps, I went to the diabetes educator and was actually shown the two options they offered, as well as given info booklets about them. If possible you could try to set up a similar appointment, where you can see the pumps and play with them for a bit to see what you might like or dislike about them.

Aye I have an appointment to look at them in early March but I like to go into things with information already. :)

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Make a list of what you want from your pump, how you'd like to use it, weight with insulin, size, handset operation etc etc, then mark each against your list.

I always do it this way, last time I changed I had same choice as you and at the time the Insight was smaller and lighter so I choose that.