What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, and a 9.9 for me. Then an 8.3 from a 2nd test, and it was 5.9 last night. So.. puzzled. I took 1000mg Metformin last night instead of 500mg to see if that would supress the liver dump, but seems like the opposite happened.
Increasing/decreasing your Metformin is very unlikely to give you immediate results since it can take from a few days to a week or so to get into or out of your system & show results First...while Metformin is a relatively safe drug it's never a good idea to increase/decrease your medication without discussing it with your health care team first...liver dump can be a problem...one way to combat it is with a small snack right before sleeping...a small amount of carbs & a little protein may help...if your BG is normally fine at other times I wouldn't worry too much about a temporary increase for a short period.

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...can't believe it's only Tuesday...it is isn't it?...woke to a 6.1 a little high for me....been feeling 'snotty' the last few days...developed a small cold sore over the weekend (ewwwwwwwwwwwwww haven't had one of those for years) which is now almost gone...knew something was lingering...but on the whole feeling well...fortunately still three weeks before my review so time to tackle this...the best cure.. a large pot of chicken soup (mothers recipe) will be going on the stove today...should see that off.

TiggerB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Disappointed in an 8 this morning as I was good yesterday and followed the low carb plan but I'll measure it a little later, before breakfast, and see what it's gone down to. Only thing I can think of is I had grapes and a glass of alcohol free wine after dinner, within my plan though and over 11 hours ago, but maybe that might be the issue? Sorry, only seem to post when I'm having problems :-(

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Disappointed in an 8 this morning as I was good yesterday and followed the low carb plan but I'll measure it a little later, before breakfast, and see what it's gone down to. Only thing I can think of is I had grapes and a glass of alcohol free wine after dinner, within my plan though and over 11 hours ago, but maybe that might be the issue? Sorry, only seem to post when I'm having problems :-(
Tigger don't be too disappointed with the 8...you're still in single figures it's not disastrous ...think it's most likely to be the grapes...we call them 'sugar bombs' in this house...grapes are one of the few fruits I actually like...now I avoid them...possibly the non-alcohol wine...do you know what the sugar content of that was?...why apologise for posting when you have a problem...no need...often there are times when we're busy...working...and it's all a real learning curve when a problem is discussed...resolved...when I look back at some of my old posts on other forums...I'm amazed at how much I gained from asking questions...likely to be a temporary blip...since you're testing at least you can see how much the grapes/wine affect your BGs...so in that sense it's all good.

TiggerB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Tigger don't be too disappointed with the 8...you're still in single figures it's not disastrous ...think it's most likely to be the grapes...we call them 'sugar bombs' in this house...grapes are one of the few fruits I actually like...now I avoid them...possibly the non-alcohol wine...do you know what the sugar content of that was?...why apologise for posting when you have a problem...no need...often there are times when we're busy...working...and it's all a real learning curve when a problem is discussed...resolved...when I look back at some of my old posts on other forums...I'm amazed at how much I gained from asking questions...likely to be a temporary blip...since you're testing at least you can see how much the grapes/wine affect your BGs...so in that sense it's all good.
Thanks Bubbsie, going to try the same meal plan today but without the alcohol free wine and swap the times I eat my grapes and almonds - good news is I've now lost 8lb in total even if it's been a bit up and down!

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Bubbsie, going to try the same meal plan today but without the alcohol free wine and swap the times I eat my grapes and almonds - good news is I've now lost 8lb in total even if it's been a bit up and down!
Good idea Tigger...just make sure you test after the grapes be interested to hear how/if they effect your levels...almonds are fine for me...grapes spike me horribly...but you may tolerate them well...its all very much on an individual basis when it comes to diet...that really is the beauty of being able to test our blood sugars...great weight loss...that will certainly help...still very early days...often up & down...you're doing well.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
morning all. I am 8.4 today. Its just getting higher! Rats.
Don't beat yourself up KOT...give it a few days...an anxious time for you...not surprising your BGs are reacting to that...think we'd all be in the same boat if we were in your shoes...apologies for so many clichés...however very applicable in the circumstances...they'll settle.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First test with my new meter, so I was all fingers and thumbs and had to manually stab myself with lancet as couldn't get the pen to work. It was 5.5
Oooooh ouch... I remember those days eggs...took me a while to get the hang of it...in a few days it'll be like second nature...keep going it does get easier...honest;).