Weetabix test

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am trying different foods to see what the impact is when I eat different things. .

This morning I tried 2 Weetabix with milk. I was expecting it to impact my BG and it did but if I don't try I will never know. 5.9 before breakfast and 7.6 ninety minutes afterwards. It did spike my BG albeit slightly less that I thought as I did think it would increase by 2. I tested 30 minutes later and my BG was 5.1 so although I spiked it did not last long which confused me as the drop was quite quick - 7.6 to 5.1 in less than 30 minutes.

Obviously the down side (which I knew about and have accepted) is that the Weetabix basically takes up about half of my target carb intake (75g) for the day but I knew this.

Being new to all this, is this spike and rapid drop normal, a good thing, a bad thing?

Thanks

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a good thing you have dropped back down quickly as I don't. Things to watch is how quickly you are hungry again, will it keep you full all day. In me such a drop means I'm hungry again in about 4 hours max. and craving carbs.

One off experiments are hard to gauge as there is a cumulative effect that has often comes back to bite me eg after 5 days my pre breakfast is creeping up towards 7 and I need a nap after in my case post porridge because I'm testing at 13 two hours later.

Keep testing and don't discount the weetabix at a later stage if your numbers start rise.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that works for you. When I was fist diagnosed and was eating Weetabix my levels jumped by about 5 in 2 hours. Even my nurse who told me to eat Weetabix told me to stop. We are all different so always worth trying things and testing.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am ok with weetabix. I have it with whole milk. I keep testing every so often, to make sure I am still ok with it. It keeps me full for hours. I have it a couple of times a week.

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am fine with Weetabix for breakfast - I don't have it that often because I prefer my overnight oats.

I always blow most of my carb allowance for the day on breakfast - it's pretty much always oats/porridge or as I said Weetabix. That's it then for refined carbs for the day - no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc - I only have carbs in fruit and veg after that as a rule. It works very well for me.

If I do eat carbs later in the day - THEN I can spike horribly - even from a pre-meal reading in the 4's I can be 10+ on two slices of bread (so obviously I eat like that very very very rarely) But breakfast - I'm fine

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and no, I am not being optimistic. Therese are the facts, for me, and have been true for 6 years now.

Reactions: Polgara

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to eat Weetabix or Ready Brek for breakfast and both gave me large spikes - blood sugar levels were going up by 4 within two hours on occasions - so I stopped eating them ... which is a shame as I enjoyed them both.

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all for the input. I may try them again on another day just to see if the effect is similar.

I must admit I really miss porridge with honey so I may give the porridge a go (without the honey or maybe a small teaspoon) to see what happens. Nb thats proper porridge - oats etc. I don't think i could eat it with salt. I had a scottish grnadmother who used to make it that way when I was a kid.

I figure its "test and see what happens". I am relatively lucky in that I am still able to control my condition through diet.

Reactions: Polgara

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eat your weetbix with milk then test as you start to eat to get a starting point, then test at 1 hour, that is when you will likely see the biggest spike. As weetbix is a grain, if you test at 2 and 3 hours you will see how long it takes you to get back to your starting point. Even if you don't see a spike of more than 2 points, all that means is that you are able to process those carbs for now, but over time it will be more difficult.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have not eaten weetabix in over a year but am now determined to try it out once more and see what happens just because it used to be a favorite breakfast for me but that was long ago in a far distant galaxy where diabetes did not exist.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well this morning was 4.7 before breakfast then had two weetabix an hour later was at 7.1 and at two hours I am back down at 4.5 lower than my fbg this morning. So if it wasn't for the rise to 7.1 I'd say weetabix is not too bad but think I will leave it out for now.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well this morning was 4.7 before breakfast then had two weetabix an hour later was at 7.1 and at two hours I am back down at 4.5 lower than my fbg this morning. So if it wasn't for the rise to 7.1 I'd say weetabix is not too bad but think I will leave it out for now.

I wouldn't call a rise to 7.1 at an hour anything to worry about or to discount it as a breakfast. The rise was fast, was not at all high or abnormal, and was back down in no time. I'd like to bet most non-diabetics would see the same levels.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I wouldn't call a rise to 7.1 at an hour anything to worry about or to discount it as a breakfast. The rise was fast, was not at all high or abnormal, and was back down in no time. I'd like to bet most non-diabetics would see the same levels.
Yes your probably quite right in that 7.1 is not that high I think it was going from 4.7 to 7.1 and dropping to 4.5 was a bit of a trip and left me feeling a bit groggy purely subjective I know but may try again at some point see if it's the same Not sure if it's the weetabix as such or just my reaction to carbs lately. Had a rise to over 10 and then a drop to the low fives in the same time frame the other day after not a huge amount of carbohydrates.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes your probably quite right in that 7.1 is not that high I think it was going from 4.7 to 7.1 and dropping to 4.5 was a bit of a trip and left me feeling a bit groggy purely subjective I know but may try again at some point see if it's the same Not sure if it's the weetabix as such or just my reaction to carbs lately. Had a rise to over 10 and then a drop to the low fives in the same time frame the other day after not a huge amount of carbohydrates.

It sure is a disease of mystery. I wonder if it a bit of reactive hypoglycaemia creeping in when we have a bigger than normal hit of carbs? It has happened to me too, but not after an hour. It has happened between 2.5 and 3 hours with me (also a lot of fat in the meal), and also happened when I did a home OGTT. I peaked at an hour, dropped gradually to 2 hours, then fell dramatically to low 4s and may well have continued had I not had a cup of tea with some milk.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I am fine with Weetabix for breakfast - I don't have it that often because I prefer my overnight oats.

I always blow most of my carb allowance for the day on breakfast - it's pretty much always oats/porridge or as I said Weetabix. That's it then for refined carbs for the day - no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc - I only have carbs in fruit and veg after that as a rule. It works very well for me.

If I do eat carbs later in the day - THEN I can spike horribly - even from a pre-meal reading in the 4's I can be 10+ on two slices of bread (so obviously I eat like that very very very rarely) But breakfast - I'm fine
If I were to have oats,which I have not even tried to see if my BG spikes or not..I would have it for lunch, then just meat and greens,asparagus for dinner in the evening,so as not to go over my carb intake to much

Reactions: JohnEGreen

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Perhaps have Weetabix as a treat

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Perhaps have a tablespoon of fresh cream after..When I have berries the cream keeps me from spiking

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@derry60 Yes I'll keep it as an occasional treat for breakfast I think.

I wonder if it a bit of reactive hypoglycaemia creeping in when we have a bigger than normal hit of carbs?
I have been wondering if thats not the case my graph over the last couple of weeks is sort of a saw tooth shape lots of highs and lows following on one from the other.

Reactions: Bluetit1802