newly diagnosed and confused

biggurs

Hi
Will try and keep this as short as possible.
Went to GP complaining of breathlessness at 9.30am.
He asked what i had for breakfast. All I had was a coffee with 2 sugars.
So he decided to take blood and send off for testing.
Results came back as 9.0 or there abouts.
He proceeded to print out a prescription for metformin 800mg (or is it 850??) twice a day.
But how can he suddenly diagnose me without even a proper fasting test!!!!!!

I expained to him that after i stopped smoking 2 years ago i have been eating 2-3 packets of sweets, cream slice with icing on it and about a litre of coke a day, every day!!!!
But he just seemed to want to give me that prescription.. as if he had hit his targets for the day and was on for a bonus!!

He made an appointmet to see the diabetic nurse for 3 weeks time.
Anyway, I didnt take any of his tablets, bought a testing kit and cut out all my sugar, sweets, coke and cakes.
Went back a week later and explained that my sugar levels on average are around the 5.0 mark and i have not taken the tabs.
He took his machine out and measured 4.6 (this was at 6.00pm after i had finished work)
He then said 'carry on what you're doing'
Thats it
Dont worry i will report him later but in the mean time what do i do?
Am i or am i not diabetic?
appt for nurse next week and will speak to her.
But i am going to go back after fasting for the day and demand he do a proper test and take it from there because I am i the process of getting critical illness cover but I think I wont ever get any now.
Does any one know where i can get criticall illness cover assuming i am a diabetic?
regards

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
As far as I'm aware, both the sugar and the caffeine would send your blood glucose up. I'm fairly newly diagnosed too, but I think it's not usual to make a diagnosis until after two consecutive fasting blood glucose tests showing a level higher than 7. Someone more expert will confirm that or shout at me!

Your doctor also ought to ask for an HbA1c blood test which shows an average of your blood glucose levels over 3 months. I think 'normal' for this should be under 6 - again, others know better than me.

Have a browse round the forums (fora!) on here - you'll pick up some good info.

I normally have my fasting blood tests in the morning, usually after 12 hours with nothing but water. Fasting all day might affect your alertness and general functioning.

Good to chuck all the cakes, coke, sandwiches etc. All carbohydrates are metabolised into glucose so it all sends your blood glucose up. The monitors will send you some very useful information for newly-diagnosed diabetics, which is certainly worth reading even if you turn out not to be diabetic at the moment. If you're not, aim for a lifestyle that means, with any luck, you never will be - at least, not a Type 2.

Tell your doctor or nurse you want some proper information, and that you want to be pro-active in your treatment. And best of luck! :)

Vivienne

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there!

Ask your doctor for a glucose tolerance test (GTT). You fast overniight, they take some blood, you drink a measured amount of glucose and two hours later they take more blood. If your second figure is over 10.7 (I think!) you are diabetic. It's the clearest way to get a proper diagnosis, but it does mean you have to sit in the doctors for more than two hours. It measure whether your body is properly dealing with glucose and, if not, how bad it is i.e. diabetes or pre-diabetes.

Good luck

Smidge

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Forget about Insurance cover and everything else . :roll:

Insist upon a proper diagnosis and confirmation. It is your right. Do not assume anything at this point in time. If you are not Diabetic then you are wasting your time and energy here.

You need to see another Dr and get a second opinion. One test is not the correct way to be diagnosed.

Let us know how you get on........

biggurs

Hi all
Thanks for all your replies.
I agree with you all. The gp should do at least 2 fasting test. when I test myself throughout the day I get results between 4 and 5.5 .
I'm gonna go back and request a proper fasting test.

whatashock

when I was diagnosed, it was by the practice nurse, with a level of 13. something having only had a cup of tea (with no sugar)

As I had alreayd had milk, I could not have a fasting blood test, but had one the following day, and also then went on to see the GP who put me on metformin (1 lot of 500).

Got the hba1c back a few days later, and got put on more metformin (although I actually dont take it as my current hba1 is about 5.7)

I think your doctor may have jumped the gun, and I agree with the others, demand an hba1c.

I so far have not had a glucose test, and so I dont know how this reflects on things.

Good luck.