Get your next Libre to Abbott now!

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I set my range for between 5.0 and 7.5 and manage to stay within that range for about 45 % of the time.

Reactions: Sibyl

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My range is between 3.9 and 8 and at the moment I’m in target 85% of the time. 14% above and 1% below

Reactions: urbanracer

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know that.

What I don't know is what the tolerance on that is.

If I am at 20 for a week that is dangerous. Apparently if I am at 7.5 for an hour, that isn't.

Somewhere between those two is a limit, a curve on a graph, nobody seems to know what it looks like.

The tolerances are here:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

No apparent needed on the 7.5 for an hour not being dangerous: pretty much the entire global population will be at 7.5 for an hour each day.

The graph is an interesting idea. I think you mean for a well controlled T1, what is the risk of occasional spikes to various levels. (As we know higher Hba1c (which is made up of higher average bs readings) does correlate with increased risk of complications).

I think the problem we have in measuring what occasional spikes in BS mean for complication risk is that the data does not exist. Complications take decades to manifest, but we didn't have the huge volume of CGM data 20 years that we do today to try to answer this. In another 20 years we will be able to answer this. The exciting thing is with the surge in CGMs in the last year we're now capturing more bs data in the last year then in all the previous years since diabetes was identified combined.

Focus on your Hba1c, the target bs ranges in the link above... and remember complications are not all about BS management for diabetics. Read this from author of "Think Like a Pancreas" he puts BS control at only a 40-50% contributing factor as the cause of complications.

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/...lood-sugar-management-isnt-everything-437583/

You can have perfect BS, but if you choose not to exercise for example you can still get the same complications but for different reasons!

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well to put it bluntly, sod Abbott and their poor service, just been to my local Asda and bought 2 sensors over the counter for £44 each. The pharmacist told me he only needs 3 - 5 days notice to order some more so Abbott can keep their £57 plus postage which even after deducting VAT means I will be saving £20 each month. Now going to cancel my order with Abbott on line.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Well to put it bluntly, sod Abbott and their poor service, just been to my local Asda and bought 2 sensors over the counter for £44 each. The pharmacist told me he only needs 3 - 5 days notice to order some more so Abbott can keep their £57 plus postage which even after deducting VAT means I will be saving £20 each month. Now going to cancel my order with Abbott on line.

I asked the pharmacist at my nearest Tesco superstore and the guy told me, no problem, I don't stock them but I can get them within 2 days. As I climbed back into the car I thought 'NUMBNUT' - why didn't I ask the price! Anyway, I know at least one place I can go when desperate.

Contrasting the experience with the pharmacy at my nearest Sainsbury superstore where the lady behind the counter stared at me with a vacant expression for a moment and then told me she didn't know the product. There's still a way to go, - if only they could be ordered through Amazon.

Reactions: Sibyl

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
They can be ordered via Amazon but at a cost of £67 each

At least getting them from Asda will keep a face-to-face retail position going. I think the guys who work in Amazon distribution centres are underpaid and work under a tough regime.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They're being resold on Amazon - not direct from Abbott so someone is just out to make a bit of profit on someone unsuspecting.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I received all my backed up Abbott orders in one fell swoop, now got sensors for the next three lunar months: 2 from Asda and 4 from Abbott. Now I wonder if there’s anyone out there who’d be daft enough to buy one of them for £140 - .

If I used the profit for a cheap trip to the seaside would I enjoy being accompanied by my spiv alter ego?

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The tolerances are here:
You can have perfect BS, but if you choose not to exercise for example you can still get the same complications but for different reasons!

Oh yeah great I missed this little bit of intelligence.

CHOOSE not to exercise.

If I get off the couch for ten seconds too long I go from feeling sort of off colour and ******, which is now the new normal, to feeling like I'm going to fall over. Great.

Oddly enough I am not choosing that. Yes I could probably eat ten mars bars and feel great but then I would have OTHER problems, no?

Like it's a CHOICE. I would love nothing more to go running, I have dreams (literally) about going running.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

CHOOSE not to exercise.

If I get off the couch for ten seconds too long I go from feeling sort of off colour and ******, which is now the new normal, to feeling like I'm going to fall over. Great.

Oddly enough I am not choosing that. Yes I could probably eat ten mars bars and feel great but then I would have OTHER problems, no?

Like it's a CHOICE. I would love nothing more to go running, I have dreams (literally) about going running.

Hi @NoKindOfSusie, have you found yourself a GP yet? These sound like symptoms that could be something other than T1.

There are a lot of causes to choose from so it’d need a full discussion and analysis to discover what can be fixed.

T1 won’t go away but it feels worse if, for instance, your blood pressure’s too low or you’re short of nutrition.

Reactions: becca59

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
2 sensors arrived yesterday, first one applied this morning before setting off to work. After pulling the applicator away I was left with the filament sheath sticking out the back of the sensor ! Carefully removed this between thumb and forefinger and activated the sensor. 1hr later, sensor will not start and have now had 4 attempts at activation - ARGHHHH!

Already been on to Abbott and will have to wait at least 3 weeks for a replacement! I do have one more sensor which I will try tonight but the lady on the phone told me to go to Asda or Boots pharmacies as they are getting prioritised now.

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I emailed Abbott and asked them to cancel my order. Totally ignored me and now my order is showing "picked" with a 5 - 7 day delivery time. Shocking service. The good news is my GP has agreed to making an apointment to see a diabetic consultant to try and get Libre on the NHS however she still doesn't hold out much hope. The other piece of good news I have had is that the DVLA have renewed my driving licence for another 3 years. Interesting point, when I received my new licence there was also a leaflet about driving with type 1 diabetes and in it it states that it is that you should test your blood before driving. Not must or that is a legal requirement !

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

CHOOSE not to exercise.

So why cant you go running?? I am so glad Steve Redgrave never gave up on his rowing when he was diagnosed T1D.
DON'T let diabetes beat you

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
He wasn't.

The media seemed to be very confused whether Steve Redgrave is/was T1 or T2 but he used a pump so that he could take insulin and carb up when rowing competitively so in that sense he was subject to many of the stresses that a T1 on insulin experiences. Ok, if he’s T2 then he’ll have a bit more back up from his less than perfect but still functioning beta, alpha and glucagon loops but nevertheless he showed that insulin therapy was no deterrent to exercise.
There are lots of people who are T1 that do regular exercise and enjoy it.
I hope that your own barriers to exercise are eventually removed, or at least lowered.