Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi and Good Day
Something strange happens with me
Whenever dinner was great there was a rise in BG Even Without Carbs like Sardines ,Eggs ,Etc
Why
Yesterday's meal was almost half a kilo of sardines after 6 hours my BG 9.4mmol after 12 hours my BG 7.9 mmol
I'm asking if someone here gets this with me ?

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @hichamgsm,

Half a kilo is a lot of sardines. It might be the excess of protein that led to your increase in blood sugars.

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well it's either the excess protein or whatever the sardines were preserved in OR could be down to what your BG was before you ate which may have been high anyway but you didn't state what that level was.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is correct, @hichamgsm, sardines have no carbohydrates. However, protein does also raise blood sugar levels -- however, the rise is lower, but more prolonged. (I will try to find a graphic for it and post it). The only macronutrient that virtually has no impact on blood sugar levels is fat.

This doesn't mean, of course, that you shouldn't eat protein, but maybe try to eat a little less in one sitting.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BG Even Without Carbs like Sardines ,Eggs ,Etc
Why
You have to be eating something and what ever you eat you body wants to turn into sugar. Even if its a meal high in protein it will still be converted into fuel.
  • First carbs
  • then protein
  • then fat.
Is the way our body's are set up.

Protein is not the preferred fuel source and takes a little longer to break down but that means by definition it take longer to wear off too. ;)
:bag:

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Well it's either the excess protein or whatever the sardines were preserved in OR could be down to what your BG was before you ate which may have been high anyway but you didn't state what that level was.
I do not think so
I have not eaten since lunch

I also used to measure after every six hours often does not outweigh 6.5 mmol

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and Good Day
Something strange happens with me
Whenever dinner was great there was a rise in BG Even Without Carbs like Sardines ,Eggs ,Etc
Why
Yesterday's meal was almost half a kilo of sardines after 6 hours my BG 9.4mmol after 12 hours my BG 7.9 mmol
I'm asking if someone here gets this with me ?
Were they fresh sardines or in a sauce of some kind?

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Were they fresh sardines or in a sauce of some kind?
It was fried in oil with some spices

The problem is not only with sardines they also get me with chicken or eggs whenever the meal is great at night

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Gluconeogenesis - the conversion of protein to glucose is a well known phenomenon in type 2 diabetics. My understanding of the research papers that I have read, is that type 2s store less glycogen than people with normal metabolic processes and we get very efficient at utilising protein. Less protein and more fat with lots of fibre will probably help your BG numbers.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I sometimes think that the name LCHF might be clearer if it was called LCHFMP i.e Low Carb, High Fat and Moderate Protein.

Is it possible to have a larger meal in the ealier part of the day rather than in the evening? This change seems to help some people and may be worth trying.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem is not only with sardines they also get me with chicken or eggs whenever the meal is great at night
Still all proteins.

Have you thought of exercise before or after the meal this should shunt the protein to the muscles reducing the IR in muscles and lower blood sugar levels. Something as little as 5 mins on an exercise bike should give you a notice reduction in your levels.

If that does work for you then try upping it before the meal to what ever your confable with and the new intake of food high in protein should be diverted mostly to deal with "micro damage" in muscles, eating 1/2 hour after exercise sends this new fuel intake to the muscles to repair the damage, lowering bs levels.

"micro damage"
we build muscles by ripping them and knitting them back together with protein. :bookworm:

You should notice results in as little as 2 -3 days, in my opinion its worth a try.
Hope this helps.;)
:bag:

Reactions: ringi and ziggy_w

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate to sound repetitive but Portion Control is an essential part of any diet !! less food equals lower BS in the long run as long as your eating sugar.

D

Deleted Account

Are you sure it was the sardines that caused your spike?
There are many things which affect our BG readings ... including a little bit of food (or newspaper print) on our fingers which change the readings.
This is why I never draw conclusions from a single unusual reading but repeat the experiment again to check it was not caused by stress, exercise, drugs, ...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate to sound repetitive but Portion Control is an essential part of any diet !! less food equals lower BS in the long run as long as your eating sugar.
Portion control may be useful (debatable) depending on the make up of the food being consumed.
The thread is about sardines which contain little if any sugar so I'm not quite sure what you mean.
"diet" as in weight loss regime isn't really what LCHF is all about.. it's a way of eating for life not a short term fix although it does have many short term benefits too.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I have come to believe diabetes is not a general rule