Hebba pap - low carb porridge

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive mentioned this before
First came across it in Tim Noakes ‘ real food revolution’ book as a low carb alternative to traditional south African porridge, flour etc
The instructions for porridge was to mix the heba pap with water - the result was useful but bland. Not having used it for a bit, I decided to vary it up today and mixed the heba with a combination of water, soya cream and coconut kefir - very nice end result.
I also found this place where the heba pap is 50% cheaper than on Amazon
http://www.lowcarbshed.co.uk/?_ga=2.12296052.1957334424.1521201180-1916189304.1521201180
There are also quite a lot of make your own heba pap mix on the net but Im too lazy to make them!

Last edited:

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From the link @Boo1979 posted a premix of Coconut Flour, Flaxseeds, Sunflower Seeds, Psyllium Husk, Himalayan Salt, Xanthan Gum.

This could really work for me as oat porridge really spikes and I have nut allergies

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Added some cocoa into the mix while heating it today - made quite a nice chocolaty porridge
It hasnt got the same texture as proper porridge made with jumbo oats etc - close to the texture of ready brek ( which Ive only ever had as part of an inpatient hospital menu) or instant poridge. You can make it as thick as you like, v filling too I use 40g of hebba mixed with the liquids plus erythritol

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The texture of Ready Brek?
Bleugh - I used to work for Allied Lyons, as it became - testing the storage qualities of their products. It was close to aversion therapy.
I can't face cheesecake, not without an effort, and not one of the flavours introduced in my time.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The taste of Ready Brek alongside the attrocious blood sugar reaction, ( given to me on an inpatient ward!) is the reason Ive never had it again. The smooth texture as opposed to the more varied texture of traditional porridge was what I was getting at