pizza :(

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's just totally sad that I can't eat rotten meat without becoming ill for days and causing me to lose sleep.
Ah, now I'm an advocate of home cooked curry, and as far as I'm aware the curry idea came from hiding the gone off meats gamey taste, and fried at over 70' kills all the bacteria :p an Indian lad I know once reckoned the curries got hotter the further south you went.
Why not
I'm hungry and everyone is eating porridge.

To me porridge is a lot more edible for a t1 if you bolus for it and wait 10 before eating it, ok there's a little spike if I'm heavy handed with the milk, but with just a little sweetener and a little milk and a blood test after a couple of hours it can be made 'good to go'.
But then I climb up and down ladders and need fuel for that which keeps spikes down, the only other cereal I find ok is Weetabix but that's supper :p

Reactions: mountaintom

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've found that the protein porridge (I tried the Quaker instant one) doesn't spike my BG at all! I've tried normal porridge before and it's been awful, but this stuff kept me perfectly flat. Must be slower releasing.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've found that the protein porridge (I tried the Quaker instant one) doesn't spike my BG at all! I've tried normal porridge before and it's been awful, but this stuff kept me perfectly flat. Must be slower releasing.
I've never tried it, or the Weetabix protein or tbh honest any protein supplement as in what's probably an erroneous belief that those protein foods can contribute to kidney stones, but as I eat a tin of tuna, 3 poached eggs and a couple of chicken breasts every day feel it would be of no benefit to me.

Reactions: Levy

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I LURVE pizza. But it plays holy hell with my bg's so really avoid it. When I do eat I split bolus - usually 1/3 just as I start to eat, 1/3 after an hour then the last 1/3 an hour later (longer if I am not in bed). It helps but can still spike thru the night
As a type2 if I want a normal pizza treat I allow my own insulin to cover the ¹/³ @Juicyj mentioned then 2hrs later inject remaining full insulin I need as a correction. Therefore I know how much insulin I need to correct.

I guess no amount of insulin can cover a normal pizza.
Which should tell us type2s everything.
(try and do without?)
Maybe they'll be next to get 'sugar levy'?

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why not

I'm hungry and everyone is eating porridge.

Because we learn to compensate for the insulin our bodies don't create and eat a **** bowl of porridge when we want.

Instant porridges usually have added sugar (even the Quaker Super Goodness ones) - a bowl of the jumbo oats with some frozen berries added in just as it finishes cooking works best for me to substitute the sachets. Much slower releasing. :)

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have fresh blueberries and pecan nuts and walnuts in mine. With added salt and half whole milk half water.

Reactions: ickihun

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Because we learn to compensate for the insulin our bodies don't create and eat a **** bowl of porridge when we want.

Instant porridges usually have added sugar (even the Quaker Super Goodness ones) - a bowl of the jumbo oats with some frozen berries added in just as it finishes cooking works best for me to substitute the sachets. Much slower releasing. :)
No doubt you're right! I don't eat porridge enough to to through the trouble of making it all myself. I've moved over to Greek yoghurt and blueberries with a little granola, much more palatable to me than sticky porridge

Reactions: db89

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I could happily live on porridge. Maybe twice a day.
We're all different. I love the smell but can't stomach it, hahahahahahahaha breathe hahahahaha. Likewise weetabix

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No doubt you're right! I don't eat porridge enough to to through the trouble of making it all myself. I've moved over to Greek yoghurt and blueberries with a little granola, much more palatable to me than sticky porridge

The biggest hurdle was overcoming the sticky pan at the end of cooking which a Tefal non stick quickly sorted. Funny how we're all different isn't it? Personally can't cope with nuts/almonds/seeds. :hungover:

Reactions: Levy

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
i ate some pizza yesterday i notice its very slow digesting and raised my sugar even today in morning and seem like insulin not working now like its made me more resistance to insulin does anyone else have similar affect after eating pizza
I'm dying to have some pizza again but worry a bit about the effects you describe. I think I'm going to try and make a fathead pizza this weekend.

LocoRoco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i ate some pizza yesterday i notice its very slow digesting and raised my sugar even today in morning and seem like insulin not working now like its made me more resistance to insulin does anyone else have similar affect after eating pizza

Hello Static ,

I eat some pizza on a few occasions troughout the year .

I have a golden rule . I eat small portioned pizza - around 300-350g . The BG after meal is usually 6-9 mmol . So I take an apple - I dont know if its just a placebo effect of mine or a real thing but it helps me to get hungry again and prepare for another meal .

However I try to avoid eating pizza on evening . Its really heavy on my stomach for the night and "clogs" my metabolism very fast and I usually dont feel hungry in the morning until the lunch .

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have half a spicy pizza every saturday. I take 3-4 units of novorapid 15 mins before eating and then another 2 units about an hour and a half later.

I made a mistake once after eating pizza, my bloods were 5mmol 2 hrs after eating and I thought I needed more food to stop me going hypo. Then the pizza started digesting, and i was in the mid teens blood wise.

Pizzas a slow burner but it can be managed. If I can do it anyone can.

At the moment I can manage it, with help of my on and off pancreas. Hopefully I can still eat it when it gives up the fight.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The biggest hurdle was overcoming the sticky pan at the end of cooking which a Tefal non stick quickly sorted. Funny how we're all different isn't it? Personally can't cope with nuts/almonds/seeds. :hungover:
My porridge (60g oats) sits in a Pyrex jug in 300ml of water over night, microwaved for 4 minutes, milk added & reheat for 2 mins, candrel added and eaten,. :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My porridge (60g oats) sits in a Pyrex jug in 300ml of water over night, microwaved for 4 minutes, milk added & reheat for 2 mins, candrel added and eaten,. :)
Does the water get absorbed or can you drain the starchy water, like your rice?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does the water get absorbed or can you drain the starchy water, like your rice?
Although I go over the top rinsing rice I don't for porridge, Kevlogic not science :) but rice water's loose starch and porridge water has the nutrition in it , I tend to bin the last 3rd of a box or so as the bits are smaller and more likely to spike, doesn't always work out, I woke hypo, took a glucogel tube (10g glucose) standard 3u and porridge spiked me to 12, so I've 3 poached eggs in the fridge waiting till it drops at lunchtime :/
Being hungry the temptation is to take a couple of u Humalog and eat the second half of my breakfast, but then I'll catch the tail swimming this aft, but as I can see my trend line showing me post peak I'll do a couple of hours graft which SHOULD wants to let me have it for lunch/pre swim.

I'll not forget I've missed a portion tho...

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Actually they don't if you look to find the super good ones from the old faithful Quaker's brand!
I really like those recent ones they have brought to the market, in individual small 27 grams portion bags, suiting perfectly for one serving (and quick/easy to make in your micro oven with limited cleanup afterwards to do. :)
I enjoy both the full natural version (where there is absolutely no sugar added to the natural oats) or the version they have with nuts and dried red fruits in it (again, no additional sugar added to it). Yes, they do also sell the one with added sugar and another with some chocolate and what have you, and by judging how many boxes of the various kinds, it does indicate most folks buy the sugary ones and not the two 'au nature' I buy. Another aspect may also be what consumers wants to buy where you live. I live in Belgium and in south of France and they don't always have the same sortiment of Quakers on their shelves. I was btw instructed to eat 35g of oats for breakfast with 200ml of milk available for my breakfast when I was diagnosed back in the last century. And though I was stuck on that the following 15 years before changing much on my diet was 'allowed' I still love those grains today.
'Old love does not rust?' :)