Cholesterol

Kaity Thorpe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finally got the breakdown of cholesterol levels. I was diagnosed as type 2 on January 18th with cholesterol level of 5.8 and HbA1C of 103. My HbA1C is now 51 and cholesterol 5.9. Nurse is pleased with everything so far, but thinks that 51 shows good control Here's a breakdown of latest cholesterol, can anyone help me understand them? xx
serum cholesterol- 5.9 mmol
Serum HDL cholesterol- 1.2mmol
Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio - 4.9
Serum LDL cholesterol level- 4mmol
Serum triglycerides - 1.5 mmol
Se non HDL cholesterol level - 4.7mmol

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Kaity,
You've done amazingly well in three months.
Keep to low carb high good fat diet and you should get out of the diabetic range and get your metabolic syndrome sorted. Your Trigs will come down further and HDL will go up. The LDL sometimes goes up initially as weight is lost.
best wishes
Derek

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
May I ask if you fasted before your blood test? This can make a difference.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Finally got the breakdown of cholesterol levels. I was diagnosed as type 2 on January 18th with cholesterol level of 5.8 and HbA1C of 103. My HbA1C is now 51 and cholesterol 5.9. Nurse is pleased with everything so far, but thinks that 51 shows good control Here's a breakdown of latest cholesterol, can anyone help me understand them? xx
serum cholesterol- 5.9 mmol
Serum HDL cholesterol- 1.2mmol
Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio - 4.9
Serum LDL cholesterol level- 4mmol
Serum triglycerides - 1.5 mmol
Se non HDL cholesterol level - 4.7mmol

This is a very useful guide. Enter your numbers and it tells you what you want to know.
http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kaity Thorpe

Thats good going - well done. I was diagnosed last June and moved to a low carb high(er) fat diet in Nov. Impact on both my HbA1C and cholesterol has been pretty good.

HbA1c was 52, last tested in fab 2018 and it was 44.
Serum cholesterol level when test in Oct 17 was 5.7, it was 4.8 when tested in Feb. My trig was 2.1 in Nov '17 and 1.0 in Feb '18.

The Low carb approach is working for me so hopefully it will work for you.