8 weeks in and need a little advice

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with her 100%. I never once used it on my Codefree, and only once on my Accu Chek when I was seeing some strange numbers. The strange numbers turned out to be nothing to do with the meter.
Yes, in general the test solution is not needed.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jenny Ruhl says that using the control solution is a waste of a strip. She has never in all her huge experience as a T2 and member of forums known the control solution to show up a faulty meter or strip.
http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.co.uk/2008/08/strange-readings-check-your-meter.html

As a type 1 going through a fair few strips, I too get irritated with the control solution testing. Admittedly I am not paying for them. However, I have had a couple of boxes way out of range and have had to return them. Obviously this could have totally skewed my results and could have caused difficulties.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a type 1 going through a fair few strips, I too get irritated with the control solution testing. Admittedly I am not paying for them. However, I have had a couple of boxes way out of range and have had to return them. Obviously this could have totally skewed my results and could have caused difficulties.
You tested them with the control fluid and it showed them to be out of range?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @mastrs well done on having a strategy for dealing with your Type 2. In your position I would trade carbs / sugar for protein, If I were concerned for cholesterol, perhaps a familial situation.

If you are highly active protein can be increased. I would rather monitor possible gluconeogenisis, than almost certain higher blood sugars with increased carbs.

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, you do need a meter, and this will help you with your food choices. You can test immediately before eating and again 2 hours after first bite. Any significant rise in levels will tell you if there were too many carbs in that meal for your body to cope with. Used alongside a food diary with portion sizes it will be of great benefit. Once you get a meter, we can help you use it to your best advantage.

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk. (applied at the check out stage)
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here and the meter is free.
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

Thanks bluetit1802

stephenlopez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @mastrs

This community really is very helpful! I'm 27 and was diagnosed about 2 months ago and then joined this community after a few days just because I wanted some travel advise with diabetes. However, I found more than what I was seeking. people here helped me and educated me a lot about condition and my HbA1c has dropped from 62 to 49 since then. I know meds are problematic. I'm also prescribed with metformin and initially it gave me stomach ache and nausea, but now it is absolutely fine. These side effects are common with metformin, even they are listed here too https://zovon.com/drugs/drug-by-condition/drugs-treating-type-ii-diabetes/ However, if you don't feel any good about using these meds, you should just ask your GP for help and they'll prescribe some other diabetes medicine.

Also, you should totally buy a glucometer as it can surely help you keep a record of your blood glucose level and you can make a spreadsheet or something about your diet and its effect on your blood glucose levels. This will help you in determining an appropriate diet plan. I'm currently on a keto diet and it is working for me. Hope diabetes gets better for you too!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @mastrs well done on having a strategy for dealing with your Type 2. In your position I would trade carbs / sugar for protein, If I were concerned for cholesterol, perhaps a familial situation.

If you are highly active protein can be increased. I would rather monitor possible gluconeogenisis, than almost certain higher blood sugars with increased carbs.
I agree. Dr Bernstein's very low carb diet has always involved swapping carbs for protein, with no special emphasis on fat. This is not a fashionable idea at present. He is particularly insistent that athletes and growing children should get enough protein. Cutting out almost all of one entire macro nutrient is no small thing and it seems to me likely to have powerful effects on the body beyond just improving bg levels. Personally, given that I need to gain weight rather than lose it, and also given that I want to get back to a higher level of exercise, I am trying to eat as much protein AND fat as I can without feeling pogged and nauseated.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, given that I need to gain weight rather than lose it, and also given that I want to get back to a higher level of exercise, I am trying to eat as much protein AND fat as I can without feeling pogged and nauseated.

And don't forget how very important protein is for us oldies. I have never restricted mine, and as long as my kidneys are in good shape, I never will. We need it for repair and maintenance of our cells, so that if we fall over we know we can get back up again. ;)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And don't forget how very important protein is for us oldies. I have never restricted mine, and as long as my kidneys are in good shape, I never will. We need it for repair and maintenance of our cells, so that if we fall over we know we can get back up again. ;)
Indeed! Of all the battery of blood tests lavished on me by the NHS, it is the tests for renal function that concern me most. I am now on 3 serious meds, presumably for the rest of my life, and if my kidneys stop coping with them I'm not sure what comes next.