Borderline Prediabetes - Looking For Support

LoganG25

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone,

I am posting this thread here because I feel like I am getting no support from my loved ones. I had a few questions that I was hoping some of you experienced with diabetes could help answer. I recently went to the doctor due to allergies, and she gave me an A1C (I think?) test which came out at 5.6%, and then 2 weeks later she did another at 5.8%. She said I was not yet prediabetic but that she wanted me to cut carbs, watch what I eat and try shedding a few pounds (I'm currently 253 and 25 years old). I have incorporated the new diet into my lifestyle and am working out 20-30 minutes a day most days of the week. It's only been a week since I began my diet, and I know things won't change over night, but I can't help but constantly fear that I may have been misdiagnosed and do indeed have prediabetes or early type 2.

The reason I think this is because when I am fasting my BG level is 91. My wife (who is also obese and working on it) is usually between 100-103 when fasting. So we both decided to eat a sub from Subway (it's got a good amount of carbs, figured I'd give it a shot) and test our blood sugar levels 2-3 hours after. So after 2 hours, my BG was 126, hers was 111. 3 hours later mine was 119, hers was back to normal. 4 hours after the meal, I am still at 107. So my concern is why her fasting level is higher than mine, but her spike drops much quicker, and mine seems to stick around for many hours afterward. We didn't have the same sub, hers was loaded with veggies whereas mine was mustard, mayo, lettuce, tomatoe, and jalapenos.

So is it at all normal for some peoples BG to stay slightly elevated after eating and then slowly go back to fasting level, or is this a sign of prediabetes? I don't mean to come off as ungrateful as I know many of the users on this forum suffer from much worse levels of diabetes than what I am currently going through, my grandmother went through it. (She is the only one in our family who had T2D, no one else that I know of ever suffered from it). I was just hoping to get some advice and support because this situation has taken a toll on my family to the degree that my wife and I are fighting daily because of how distant and distracted I have been because of the stress from all of this.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you all so much,
- Logan

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
What height are you. 115kg seems heavy for a 25 yo unless you are a tall fella.
91 fasting is pretty good.
126 is slightly high but hardly horrific and was on its way down anyhow.
5.8% for HbA1c is probably at the high end of normal.
Your doc is probably right. Lose weight.

LoganG25

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the reply, Crocodile. I appreciate the input. I am 5'8". I am obese.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@LoganG25
You are luckier than some of us here. At least you have a golden opportunity to act before harm sets in. At your height you need to lose about 30kg. Hardly "a few pounds". I know it's hard, I've been through the hoop. Believe me, nothing will help you further at this stage than losing excess weight. Otherwise, we'll be seeing you around here in a year or two. Sorry if I appear I blunt as it is not intended but is the truth. Take care and good luck.
Glenn

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your experiment with your wife and the subs isn't really useful because you ate different fillings. The contents of the whole meal can make a big difference.

As was said earlier, you are not yet pre-diabetic but at the higher end of normal. Your doctor is correct. You are lucky. You can now turn this round by eating to your meter and losing weight. Eating to your meter is simply:

test before you eat
test again 2 hours after first bite
look at the difference between the two readings
It should not be more than 36mg/dl (2mmol/l) and preferably less.
If it is, there were too many carbs in your meal, meaning you have the opportunity to reduce some of the portion sizes, or eliminate some.
Keeping a food diary including portion sizes will help a lot as you can record your levels alongside and watch for patterns. It won't be long before your personal danger foods become obvious.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds like you are taking a rigorous approach to the carbs and how your individual body reacts to them. The good news is that you do not need to lose all of your weight to get your blood sugars normalised. I am type 1 1 but type 2 is all over my family and its part of my job too. I have just read Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code which gives a really easy way to understand how the disease starts (with too much insulin, then insulin resistance then prediabetes- diabetes) so I'd recommend that if you want to know/understand more.e

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I could get a message back to myself at your age it would be 'Dr Atkins is right - stick to low carb if you value your health' - but I would have had to add 'PS don't let your doctor know'.
That PS would have saved me a lot of problems over the years as back then low carbing was considered something akin to devil worship.
All through bringing up the children I was able to do low carb by having almost the same foods on the plates, but I would make one carb heavy thing for them and one low carb thing for me - so they might be having potatoes with their roast meat, I'd be having courgette or cauliflower - even these days I'll have a tuna salad and make a tuna sandwich for my husband.
Once you get into the swing of low carb eating - which I do strongly recommend that you do asap it really is nothing to be distracted about.
If not for almost two years of eating foods supposed to lower cholesterol I doubt that I'd ever have been diagnosed, as I went from full blown diabetic to not in that range in just 80 days, and then got back to normal just by eating the same foods which kept my weight under control for decades.

Reactions: Petaluk

LoganG25

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all so much for your responses and welcomings. I hope to stay around the forum for a while even though I have yet to be diagnosed with prediabetes as this is already helping to ease my mind a bit. Concerning the insulin resistance, is there a test I can do at home to check that, or is that something I will have to wait for my doctor's visit to check on?

I definitely plan on losing weight, my short term goal is 225 (10% of my current weight) which most of what I've seen researching online SHOULD help bring my BG levels down. My ultimate goal is 190. As I said before, it's only been a week since I've started the diet/exercise but I assure you I'm putting my all into it.

Another question, if I am becoming insulin resistant, is that something I can help reverse/slow down by losing weight as well? Or is that something genetic that cannot be controlled?

Low carb is my thing right now. I downloaded My Fitness Pal and have been keeping track of everything I've eaten and plan on showing it to my doctor at my next visit. I will admit I am lacking in the veggie department, which I am incorporating into my diet via broccoli and spinach starting today/tomorrow.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's feedback. It's encouraging and a huge eye opener that I need to get things turned around now before I develop serious complications.

P.S. A lot of your stories are really inspiring. I admire a lot of you for the work you put in for your personal health. Which I assumed is what most people would do but even after a week I can already see how hard it's going to be and you all have a lot of patience and determination. It's definitely inspiring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alison Campbell