sweets

debbiezoe

My daughter has just been diagnoised wiv type 1. My nurse told me not to give her diabetic choc and let her havin anythin under 10g of carbs of which sugar. But what about sugar free jelly sweets e.g teddy bars!?

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Debbiezoe,
any sweet that is sugar free usually contains sorbitol or other substitues which can give your daughter nasty diahhorea. Best stick with 10g total carb, not total sugar, for a treat and best given after a meal. We have found treat size bars/animal bars/and weighing any loose sweets out and calculating the maths to be the best option.
I would assume that as she has just been diagnosed that she is on 2 daily injections, and snacks are important. Let us know if theres anything else we can help you with, theres lots of us Mums on the forum, with children ranging in ages from 2yrs to teenagers. My son Andrew is 11 and diagnosed 4yrs.
Suzi x

debbiezoe

Thanks Suzi! We seem to be doin ok so far! People keep sayin that she seems to eat alot, but i have been told the times she has to snack and wot to give her, i know people maybe mean well but can be hard listenin to them!!!
debbie

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Your welcome Debbie,
Anytime you need advise or a chat,i'm here, i pop into the forum most days,
Suzi x

leggott

Hi, we have found that wafer biscuits and rice cakes are great and normally come in under the 10g mark. HOme made popcorn is excellent too and low in carb so they can have alot. Sugar free Jelly is good, although I'm not a big fan of food with sweetners in it, but as an occasional treat they are great. As Suzi says, there are plenty of mums on this forum who are usually around to offer advice and support. I've got 3 children, 2 of which have type 1, along with a husband who also has type 1.

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type 2 and I have a small treat of 70% cocoa chocolate, abut 2 squares is ok and not too carby or sweet.

spud 1

Make sure you keep clear of Thorntons Diabetic Chocolates. They are very expensive and if you eat

more than one as an adult your bottom explodes so goodness knows what it would do to a child.

Having this sweetener can be dangerous if you have just taken your medication as it will flush the

medication out of your system.

Why a large manufacturer cannot use a harmless sweetener I do not know but I suspect it is called

making a huge profit.
Spud 1

dabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullying, vegetables
I agree they don't recommend the sugar free sweets as too many can cause you to be in need of a toilet. However as an adult I do treat myself to the 'sweets' (not chocolate) occasionally, from which I have never had problems (because I never over indulge on them). However I bought some 'diabetic orange wafers' from Boots once and they were lovely but I still manage to stick to the couple, but asked my non-diabetic wife whether she'd like one, I left them with her and she ate the rest of the packet. Needless to say she didn't move far from the toilet afterwards...

It is said that 'diabetic' foods are not preferable to non diabetic foods and that every food can be eaten (nothing banned) providing it is within limits! :)

B@rnstormer

Dislikes
Coriander
I've eaten Thorntons diabetic milk chocolate bar, diabetic turkish delight bars, diabetic fudge bars and assorted diabetic individual chocolates and I have never had any stomach upsets after doing so. It obviously affects some people more than others, it seems a bit unfair to say everyone should steer clear of them. I would agree that they're more expensive than regular chocs, but as they're a very occasional treat for me I don't really mind. I've noticed Cadbury doesn't have much in the way of anything that's sugar free, or have I missed it?

B@rnstormer

Dislikes
Coriander
dabbit said:
It is said that 'diabetic' foods are not preferable to non diabetic foods and that every food can be eaten (nothing banned) providing it is within limits! :)

But unfortunately nobody's ever made it clear to me exactly what the limits are for me. Everyone says "so long as it's in moderation". Is that 1 slice of bread a day? or 2 slices? Is it 1 potato a day? 4 potatoes? It's hard to stay within limits if you don't know what they are. Can anyone suggest where I can find information that might help me a bit, please? Thanks.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
B@rnstormer said:
But unfortunately nobody's ever made it clear to me exactly what the limits are for me. Everyone says "so long as it's in moderation". Is that 1 slice of bread a day? or 2 slices? Is it 1 potato a day? 4 potatoes? It's hard to stay within limits if you don't know what they are. Can anyone suggest where I can find information that might help me a bit, please? Thanks.

It is everything in moderation........'pig out' and it will be a disaster, cut back and things should all get better.

There is no quick fix, no reference book, no list.........YOU have to find out by testing just what YOU are able to tolerate. I can possibly eat more carbs than you, maybe less....who knows ? Testing is the only way to find out.

I can tolerate a sandwich once in a while, crusty white bread and butter, the odd chocolate bar, the list is endless.........but that is just ME. Everybody else has to work it out for themselves.

Nobody told me what amount of Carb's, sweet things I should eat.......it is all trial and error. Too many and you don't do that again. Too little and that can then be a treat to liven up what for some can be a humdrum diet regime. I can eat many things that other's here find just too much. My diet is Low GI/GL and Low Fat. Suits me perfectly, allowing good Bg control and plenty of variety in my food intake. It also helped me to lose over 5 1/2 stone in weight.

I eat around 60 - 80g carbs per day, I class myself as a reduced carber. Now somebody else may think that's high........not to me it isn't. Whatever works for you has to be good whatever method you use. If it works........then it has to be good.

Ken

B@rnstormer

Dislikes
Coriander
Hi Ken, thanks for the reply. Could I ask something please? Just as a random example, off the top of your head, what foods in what quantities might make up your 80g of carbs in any average day?

Cheers,

Dave

pinktess

hi all
i was diagnosed with type 2 in late april, i dont no if its the same every where but where i live in scotland all new and people who dont no much about being a diabetic are invited to go on a 6 week course called Expert. I go to this for 2 hours a week, it runs you threw everything to do with being diabetic like how you become diabetic,what it does to your body,meds,how to control it but more importantly FOOD, what you can eat and what to stay away from. Just this week we did a whole 2 hour just on carbs, and i got to say it was very informative, its def changed the way i look at carbs for sure, theres foods in the carb group i would never have thought of.
i got a book with the course which helps me with what is high, mid, and low GI so i can modarate my diet. it recomends that a women should have no more than 130g to 150g of carbs a day, and a man 290g a day. I was referd to this course by my diabetic nurse and im so glad she did.. next week its food labels LOL Looking forward to that..as my husband is getting fed up of me taking 4 hours to go round the supermarket reading every label.
So if theres anyone like me who didnt have a clue on what to eat and how much of, go ask your diabetic nurse if theres a course in your area. One im on is called Expert.
Hope this helps.
Pinktess :D

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
Hi I find Werthers Original sugar free very nice but again dont have to many same goes for sugar free polos.

Graham 1441 :twisted: :twisted:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Most people whether losing weight or keeping weight the same can eat around 80-90g of carbs a day (keeping everything in moderation).

When I want to lose weight (only after Christmas!!!) I will go down to around 60-70 carbs per day to lose weight reasonably quickly...however I found that reading the book by Dr Charles Clark & Maureen Clark called the diabetes revolution is quite a good read, and has some good recipes in it for example if I want to have a nice pudding I can have a lovely creme brulee from this book and it is only 18 grams of carbs...and the best one is a dark chocolate mousse at only 10 grams of carbs!!!!

At the end of the day, we are all individuals...what seems to me to be 'in moderation' cetainly wouldn't be enough fo my my husband......we are all individuals, what a 9stone person counts as moderation will not be the same as a 16 stone person. The best that we can do is to try and eat healthy foods, and allow ourselves treats, but isn't that the same as a non diabetic?????

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Graham1441 said:
Most people whether losing weight or keeping weight the same can eat around 80-90g of carbs a day (keeping everything in moderation).

I think it might be a bit strong to say 'most people'. I'm always very happy for those of you who can eat near-normal foods, but there are very many of us who can't. I know my diabetes is a bit weird, but I can't eat more than 10g carb at a time without spiking into double-figures. I therefore keep carbs to an absolute minimum - maybe 20 -30g per day and no more than 10g at a time. I might go onto fast-acting insulin soon so this might change things for me. As Cugila said, the only way for anyone to know how many they can tolerate is to keep testing.

p.s Found out yesterday that I can eat Thorntons diabetic chocolate without stomach problems :D but it raises my BG significantly to the point I might as well have eaten Dairy Milk and been done with it :(

Smidge

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sorry Smidge for writing 'most people'...no wish to offend or categorise 'most people'.

Becg

I'm really sensitive to carbs and try to stick to around 20g a day if i got to 30g a day for a week i put on weight :( **** those carbs!!!!