Can Body Reject Insulin

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi iv been struggling with my diabetes for some time reguardless of ajusting insulin i have a hard time to get any control im just woundering could my body reject or not be working with well the insulin. im on is novorapid as i have times where it works well and times were it doesnt work at all like iv injected water i have got a appointment this month with dsn at hopsital and will tell them my concern but just woundering is there anyone else here that has problems with insulin the rapid insulin just not working or being dysfunctual and did they manage to find anything that helped them.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi iv been struggling with my diabetes for some time reguardless of ajusting insulin i have a hard time to get any control im just woundering could my body reject or not be working with well the insulin. im on is novorapid as i have times where it works well and times were it doesnt work at all like iv injected water i have got a appointment this month with dsn at hopsital and will tell them my concern but just woundering is there anyone else here that has problems with insulin the rapid insulin just not working or being dysfunctual and did they manage to find anything that helped them.
If it’s working sometimes then it’s probably not the insulin per se that’s the problem. You might be having a bout of insulin resistance when it seems not to be working. Insulin resistance can be caused by diet (eating high fat and carbs together, for example), being overweight, being overtired/not sleeping, being very cold, being very inactive, lacking muscle. I’d look at some of those to find out why it’s not always working but only sometimes.

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi thanks for reply i dont really eat loads of carb or fat in my diet i would say im active not overly active but normal im not overweight i guess diabetes very with everyone and i got bad luck and unlucky lol

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Are you overusing your injection sites? I found things improved for me when I started injecting in "new" areas. (Basically further up my stomach.)

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you overusing your injection sites? I found things improved for me when I started injecting in "new" areas. (Basically further up my stomach.)
hey i have been rotating lol dont seem to help but thank you for the suggestion appreicate it

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
You say you're not overweight but what is your stomach measurement like? As a VERY rough and ready guide, if your waist measurement is more than half your height then you may be at risk of T2/aka insulin resistance. Or do you have T2 relatives? It seems very unfair that you can be insulin resistant and T1 but unfortunately you can. :) (And before I get lynched, yes I know that you can be skinny and T2, I'm just doing a bit of generalising here.:))

MinaRotter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To answer the question. No it isn't possible for the body to "reject" insulin. It is manufactured using recombinant dna technology. In the past when porcine or bovine sources were used, it would in theory have the ability to be rejected - although extremely rarely (like "rare as hens teeth" rare).

More likely, as others have alluded to, it's some type of insulin resistance or delayed absorption.

To figure out why would be virtually impossible without knowing intimate details about you and your diabetes and examining your injection sites etc etc

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Depends on what you eat. Have you heard of the pizza effect?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I always look at the mechanical items too.

1) how old are your pens?
2) is your temperature at the right temperature? (Unlikely to be this unless all your readings ate high).
3) have your pens been left out in warmer places?
4) have you changed cartridges when this has happened?
5) have you changed needles?
6) did you remember to prime your needle?

-I change everything.... just like I did with pump. On pump it turned out my body didnt like it with cannulas... it blocked insulin tiny amounts of it pumping through on any cannula change. I have been injecting 30+ years, almost 40...

Then, if women, we do have hormonal surges too.

Activities can react differently.

Lie in's for me can cause onward effects.. even with the food bolus's as my basal would be delayed for a lie in. I dont lie in... cant do it.

Best that your DSNs view your records but in the interim make sure the mechanical items are checked over.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I always look at the mechanical items too.

1) how old are your pens?
2) is your temperature at the right temperature? (Unlikely to be this unless all your readings ate high).
3) have your pens been left out in warmer places?
4) have you changed cartridges when this has happened?
5) have you changed needles?
6) did you remember to prime your needle?

-I change everything.... just like I did with pump. On pump it turned out my body didnt like it with cannulas... it blocked insulin tiny amounts of it pumping through on any cannula change. I have been injecting 30+ years, almost 40...

Then, if women, we do have hormonal surges too.

Activities can react differently.

Lie in's for me can cause onward effects.. even with the food bolus's as my basal would be delayed for a lie in. I dont lie in... cant do it.

Best that your DSNs view your records but in the interim make sure the mechanical items are checked over.
I wonder if my body temperature affects insulin absorption? From infection or thyroid thermostat being not perfect?

Reactions: donnellysdogs