Vitamins

Angela(NZ)

Dislikes
liars
Hi

I have just started taking Fish Oil capsules and wondered if there any other vitimins that anyone else is taking that is of benefit to type 2??

Thanks! :D

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
But is this thiamine deficiency due to diabetes, or are both factors co-dependant on a third factor?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
FergusCrawford said:
But is this thiamine deficiency due to diabetes,the diabetes due to the deficiency or are both factors co-dependant on a third factor?

Good question....it's also a fact that you don't need a supplement of anything if you are not deficient in whatever you test for. Not everybody has a deficiency of Thiamine despite what some research has shown. I have been tested a few times and last test was fine, been Diabetic for 14 years........

If you need Vitamins then look to your diet as most people should be able to get all they need from a good diet. If you are told you NEED a supplement then fine, but just taking one because of some Internet hype about certain ones is just losing you money and has some dubious claims as well. This has been discussed on here ad infinitum.

Most low carb type diets would obviate the need for any Thiamine supplementation as well as you are not eating the things that are low in Thiamine such as white rice, sugar and sugar rich foods ! These foods are high in carbs, a source of energy that increases the body's requirement for Vit B1.

If you want to waste your money on something you may not need........ :(

phraedus

FergusCrawford said:
But is this thiamine deficiency due to diabetes, or are both factors co-dependant on a third factor?

The urinary excretion of thiamine of diabetic patients and normal healthy volunteers was within the normal range (>0.20 μmol/24 h) [19], except for one type 2 diabetic patient with a urinary thiamine excretion of 0.08 μmol/24 h.
Urinary excretion of thiamine accounts for a minor part of normal thiamine turnover: pyrimidine and thiazole degradation products of thiamine are also excreted in the urine and account for the major component of thiamine turnover [20]. Rather, low plasma thiamine concentration was linked to a profound increase in ClThiamine and FEThiamine.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/r47 ... ltext.html

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I take Vitamin D3 in the winter because I'm of an age when I don't manufacture it properly, and I don't get out as much in the winter to get the sun on my skin. I take 5000IU, which I researched and am happy with, but it's well over the Recommended Daily Allowance, so do your own research.

I also take 300mg of magnesium every day, in two doses. This is supposed to be good for blood pressure, and mine is okay despite my weight, so it might be working! If you overdose on magnesium you get the runs, so you'll know :shock:

I don't take either of those specifically because I'm diabetic, but I have stopped taking large doses of Vitamin C in the early winter because Dr Richard Bernstein (The Diabetes Solution) says too much can raise bg levels.

A varied diet with plenty of vegetables and some fruit should see you okay. I believe you have to be more careful about getting enough iron on a vegetarian diet.

Viv :)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I love Vit D. It's one suppliment that I can actaully FEEL a difference in myself when I'm taking it.

It's like the feeling you get when you've had a good dose of sunshine.

I can't get that feeling from food. (No matter how much Tuna I eat!!!)

Vit D is good.