What Cooking Oil Are You Using?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are using run of the mill olive oil from the supermarket (branded and own label) it comprises “olive oils that have undergone refining and oils obtained directly from olives” no ratio given and no country of origin. Unless you are buying single estate olive oil do you really know what your olive oil has been through? I dont think my British made cold pressed rapeseed oil is going to worry me too much.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use ordinary rapeseed oil for frying, it has a high smoke point, high omega 3 and is neutral tasting, so what if it is processed. Industrial processing is demonized but it is not necessarily a bad thing, it depends what the process is and what the end product is like. The following chart is not showing the production of some "Frankenstein food" but is typical of the purification of drinking water. If you have your own deep well or mountain spring all well and good but most of us rely on industrial processing to give us clean water.

View attachment 27174
Well said

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
BACON ALERT!
Btw on the topic of animal foods not needing oil because they are high fat, if you have an Italian deli ask for some 'pig cheek' cured slices gaanciale (prononced guancharlay). You can make your own and its very very tasty so not much is needed to enliven a salad:

Much better than the overly trimmed packet of average bacon

Reactions: Tabbyjoolz

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Canola is a derivative of Rapeseed which was created through selective cultivation, so not the same thing but not a million miles away but then the processing......... This is a quick cut and paste from Wikipedia: Canola oil is made at a processing facility by slightly heating and then crushing the seed.[19] Almost all commercial canola oil is then extracted using hexanesolvent[20] which is recovered at the end of processing. Finally, the canola oil is refined using water precipitation and organic acid to remove gums and free fatty acids, filtering to remove color, and deodorizing using steam distillation.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now you've got me wondering which sunflower oil is the kind tend to buy? How would I know?
Unless they list the oleic content on the label, I wouldn't buy it at all. Not that I'd buy it anyway with so many other good oils to chose from.