What Cooking Oil Are You Using?

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Olive oil is ok to cook with. I use it too, also animal fat sometimes. Coconut oil is always in the kitchen too, but I less frequently use it as I hate its smell.
Have a good day X

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1 cal spray is basically oil diluted in water. You can get the same effect, much more cheaply, by just putting less oil in your cooking, as the water they add evaporates while the cooking process goes on.

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As of a few months ago no liquid oils allowed in my home except for the occasional splash of good quality cold pressed olive oil. I cook with solid fats. Vegetable oils are ultra processed foodstuffs and I try my best to avoid processed foods wherever I can.
Olives are vegetables too.
I think we need to take this whole debate about oils back to first principles. What is it that is actually concerning us here? Is it the amount of saturated fat vs unsaturated vs polyunsaturated vs trans saturated? Or is it potential carcinogen effects?

All of the oils mentioned here are taking either oily fruits/vegetables or seeds or nuts and pressing them and filtering the results to various degrees. "Vegetable oil" is just a common name for rapeseed oil. I don't see why it should be fundamentally different to any other seed oil.

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we need to take this whole debate about oils back to first principles. What is it that is actually concerning us here? Is it the amount of saturated fat vs unsaturated vs polyunsaturated vs trans saturated? Or is it potential carcinogen effects?

All of the oils mentioned here are taking either oily fruits/vegetables or seeds or nuts and pressing them and filtering the results to various degrees. "Vegetable oil" is just a common name for rapeseed oil. I don't see why it should be fundamentally different to any other seed oil.

I often add lots of olives to salad as well as/instead of olive oil as the closer to the natural product the better for me.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

for me, it the amount of processing and tinkering needed by the manufacturers to produce a safe, edible oil.

the only oil I eat now is cold pressed extra virgin olive oil.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The seed oils have all sorts of issues - they're unstable and oxidize very easily. I wouldn't touch any of them. Watch Youtube videos on how canola oil is made if you're in any doubt about the amount of processing involved.

Reactions: Guzzler

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So i switched to olive oil until a friend came to my house and was shocked saying olive oil is only for cold salads not to cook fried stuff in and it could cancer ,so.........

I only recently looked this up as I used to buy extra virgin olive oil but that is better for salads than normal olive oil as its more flavoursome and normal olive oil better for cooking..

I've heard coconut oil is very healthy but I've also heard that we should be careful about health claims on coconut products as they are so cheap to make.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

Olives are fruit. I don't use nut oils for cooking but occasionally use them at the end of prep for flavour.
'Vegetable oil' is a misnomer. Seeds and grains and beans (as in soybean oil) are not vegetables.
The processing of these 'vegetables' is far more industrialised than just crushing and filtering. It involves chemical processes that change the raw ingredients so much that they are unrecognisable in nature.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't usually fry food it ruins the taste but if I have to like to sear a tuna steak I will use rapeseed or coconut oil sprays. I only use extra virgin olive oil on salads not to cook with

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not use the extra virgin olive oil to cook with. I use goose fat or beef dripping as needed.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

How about seed oils aren’t great fruit oils are ok?
Olives,avocado and coconut are fruits? All other “veg oils” are seeds? Does that make it simpler.. or just use goose fat.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
In itself this is not a bad thing if done properly as it can give an additional flavour....
but if it goes bad..... then it's straight to the skip.

Where, no doubt, it would break down in a biological fashion. I'm not so sure about industrially/commercially produced seed oils. People normally dispose of unwanted seed oils into the drainage system (rightly or wrongly) so are they biodegradable or not? A bit of research on my part for another time, perhaps.

Reactions: hankjam

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Where, no doubt, it would break down in a biological fashion. I'm not so sure about industrially/commercially produced seed oils. People normally dispose of unwanted seed oils into the drainage system (rightly or wrongly) so are they biodegradable or not? A bit of research on my part for another time, perhaps.

Ah, I was referencing the burning of butter, other oils I try not to get too hot.
:)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use ordinary rapeseed oil for frying, it has a high smoke point, high omega 3 and is neutral tasting, so what if it is processed. Industrial processing is demonized but it is not necessarily a bad thing, it depends what the process is and what the end product is like. The following chart is not showing the production of some "Frankenstein food" but is typical of the purification of drinking water. If you have your own deep well or mountain spring all well and good but most of us rely on industrial processing to give us clean water.

sp_waterT01.jpg

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use ordinary rapeseed oil for frying, it has a high smoke point, high omega 3

So did we until we swapped over to solid fats. I have nothing against Rapeseed Oil (as opposed to the American canola oil) purely because of the omega 3 and vitamin E content, plus the high smoke point. Also, if I did have serious objections to it, I would have to give up my treasured Hellmanns mayo!