EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
If you're hypo aware it shouldn't be an issue. If you lose awareness then you probably need a cgm, ideally with an alarm.

Anyone know the statistics as to how many accidents are caused by hypos? (I'm suspecting not many, or insurance companies would start to discriminate against insulin dependant diabetics.)

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
If you're hypo aware it shouldn't be an issue. If you lose awareness then you probably need a cgm, ideally with an alarm.

Anyone know the statistics as to how many accidents are caused by hypos? (I'm suspecting not many, or insurance companies would start to discriminate against insulin dependant diabetics.)
Hard to keep track of I would imagine, suspect plenty of people who did have a hypo that caused an accident would claim otherwise or that it just wasn't documented as one.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hard to keep track of I would imagine, suspect plenty of people who did have a hypo that caused an accident would claim otherwise or that it just wasn't documented as one.

Yes, I remember my T1 mother advising me that if I ever needed to pull over on a motorway hard shoulder because I "felt low", I should tell any police who asked that there was something wrong with the car, rather than that I was avoiding a hypo.

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Th
Just a simple question, but possibly not a simple answer..

When I drive the guides everywhere tell me "Keep your blood glucose above 5 mmol/l when driving", which I thought was quite straightforward, but how is above 5 interpreted..
A general conversation over a glass of something with a police officer friend of mine, he has the same guideline if he needs to check somebody, but here is the question.. what is above 5????

I assume that a blood test result of say 5.7 is above 5 and therefore I'm good to go, but the police force disagree, 5.7 is not above 5, only a reading starting with a 6 is above 5.
Had a similar conversation with a senior nurse friend as well, but this time about levels. I look for a reading between 4 and 7, so to me a reading of 7.7 would be above range, but not according to the NHS... a reading between 7.0 and 7.9 is still ok and within the range of 4 to 7.

So who is right, .. Do we count the decimal place, or ignore it and just work to the first digit????
The police are full of bluster on many subjects.....if anyone was stopped and thier bg checked.. (dont think police have powers to do this anyway)..but if....and they were 5.3 for example..the police would only report the driver and it would be the cps who bring any charges...the rate they throw out offences im pretty sure they could work out that 5.3 is over 5.0.and wouldnt waste taxpayers money on an issue that would not succeed if challenged in court....no doubt many police across the country have had many fun training days being told innaccurate information.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
My interpretation from an Aussie viewpoint, where as a TID my endocrinologist writes to only drive with BSL above 5.0 mmol/l is that the 'above 5mmol/l ' rule provides a safety paint of sorts. He also writes that on journeys lasting > one hour I am to recheck my BSL regularly (usually hourly).
Those on CGM and Libres (and assuming they are accurate) will know that a BSL of 5.0 mmol/l can be 4.5 mmol/l 30 minutes later, or 5.5.mmol/l .
Also as others have pointed out a gluco-meter will have an error rate of some degree ? 10 to 15 %. A reading of > 5.0 mmol/l gives some surety that say, a pathology lab test, will not be less than 4.0 mmol/l if your meter's error is + 15%.
I think we also need to remember that to drive with a condition like diabetes is a responsibility, not an absolute right.
Driving rules are formulated for public safety, not just our own safety.

red1mot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You have a legal obligation to prove you have tested the readings on your meter can be downloaded to a computer my thought above 5 means 5.1 probably best to check with dvla