A Quiet Celebration And A Question

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I salute you fellow Low Carb follower........ I have been diabetic for over 15 years. and the thing that spurred me into low carb was the neuropathy in my feet.. was getting unbearable. and like a lot of diabetics, ignored the issue.. because it's a long slow death..... ( and i mean that) it IS..... a long slow.... agonising death. i did not just wake up to this fact. i knew it all along... i just NEVER accepted it. BUT when my feet were becoming increasingly painful and hard to walk. i knew i had to change my life or face amputation. i went with keto. tried it many times but failed. THIS time i thought .. Gary you MUST TRY you mug.... just for once in your life give it a chance. so i did. and i am so glad. I am a lad that liked a beer, made up excuses in my head that it was OK to drink lager and just keep injecting insulin and all would be well. i kept drinking and injecting and all was NOT well. my neuropathy became more intolerable. so for 4 weeks now. i have not had a beer. wine has no effect on my blood sugars at all. my morning blood sugars have been regularly 5 or 6 mmols for the past 4 weeks. i eat less than 20 grams carbs a day. and the carbs i eat are all green carbs. my food is mostly saturated fat, steak, pork, lamb etc.. and fish. bread has gone from my diet as rice, pasta, potatoes, most root vegetables and anything that resembles a carbohybdrate. ............ i cannot believe the change in my body over the past 4 weeks. the neuropathy in my feet has NOT gone. but i no longer get shooting pains and walking is so much more comfortable. i am not sure if the numbness in my feet will get so much better ... but all i know is when i check my blood sugars throughout the day, the highest reading i have had in 4 weeks is 7 mmols, and that is usually first thing the morning. i have reduced my insulin injections, humalog 50 from over 200 units daily... to less than 40 units twice daily. once i kick the daily intake of wine. i expect this to become non existent. i am not on a mission for complete reversal yet. because i have been a beer drinker since i was 16 years old. not many weeks passed in all that time (65 now) since i did not drink. BUT slowly i am educating myself........ because the last 4 weeks has been a revelation to me. JUST because i can now actually get up and do the things i want to do. It's hard folks. and i will get there. i just wish i had someone to give me the confidence and boost i need to get me there sooner. we need more groups in this country to help people like me. get off their arses and spur them into action. anyone with any nous or spark of imagination to start a course for reprobates like me. i will follow you to the ends of the earth. best wishes to all advocates of low carb. kindest regards Gaz
Well done!!

Reactions: Gazzamius1

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread with the marvellous success stories of @liarsdance and @Gazzamius1 prove yet again that low carb eating is not just good for blood glucose control but for many ailments and in a short space of time. Astonshing really the medical world arent more enthusiastic. We cant all be wrong.

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread with the marvellous success stories of @liarsdance and @Gazzamius1 prove yet again that low carb eating is not just good for blood glucose control but for many ailments and in a short space of time. Astonshing really the medical world arent more enthusiastic. We cant all be wrong.
No, we can't - and we aren't wrong. Low carb just makes so much sense. T2s can't tolerate carbs so why encourage us to eat them and then give us medication to mitigate their effects? My carb cravings disappeared when I got my blood glucose under control and thus far, those cravings have not returned. Neither has my joint pain and GI disturbances. I put this down to very low carb, healthy fat diet combined with daily intermittent fasting. I'd recommend it to anyone!

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Big Pharma and the food industry in bed together! Eat more carbs/sugar profit for food industry!! Thus needing medication to sort out the problems profits for big Pharma!! No profit in a cure! Admin please delete if to controversial ;)

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done!
Just a thought though if you haven’t been coded as diabetic which, with initial results of 52 and 48 I feel you should have been, you might miss out on automatic recalls for eye checks feet checks etc...
Hi again - just to say that after discussion with GP and DN I have been coded as Type 2 in remission, so will be called for foot checks and retinal screening; I'm happy with that :)

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant result @liarsdance . Congratulations and well done. :)

However, I agree with @Rachox . You need to press for a diabetic coding if you want to have all the care-pathway stuff such as regular blood tests, eye screening, foot checks etc. particularly the eye screening as they use the codes to recall you each year.

Hi again - just wanted to say that after discussion with GP and DN I've been coded as Type 2 in remission, so will be called for foot checks and retinal screening; I'm satisfied with that :)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I salute you fellow Low Carb follower........ I have been diabetic for over 15 years. and the thing that spurred me into low carb was the neuropathy in my feet.. was getting unbearable. and like a lot of diabetics, ignored the issue.. because it's a long slow death..... ( and i mean that) it IS..... a long slow.... agonising death. i did not just wake up to this fact. i knew it all along... i just NEVER accepted it. BUT when my feet were becoming increasingly painful and hard to walk. i knew i had to change my life or face amputation. i went with keto. tried it many times but failed. THIS time i thought .. Gary you MUST TRY you mug.... just for once in your life give it a chance. so i did. and i am so glad. I am a lad that liked a beer, made up excuses in my head that it was OK to drink lager and just keep injecting insulin and all would be well. i kept drinking and injecting and all was NOT well. my neuropathy became more intolerable. so for 4 weeks now. i have not had a beer. wine has no effect on my blood sugars at all. my morning blood sugars have been regularly 5 or 6 mmols for the past 4 weeks. i eat less than 20 grams carbs a day. and the carbs i eat are all green carbs. my food is mostly saturated fat, steak, pork, lamb etc.. and fish. bread has gone from my diet as rice, pasta, potatoes, most root vegetables and anything that resembles a carbohybdrate. ............ i cannot believe the change in my body over the past 4 weeks. the neuropathy in my feet has NOT gone. but i no longer get shooting pains and walking is so much more comfortable. i am not sure if the numbness in my feet will get so much better ... but all i know is when i check my blood sugars throughout the day, the highest reading i have had in 4 weeks is 7 mmols, and that is usually first thing the morning. i have reduced my insulin injections, humalog 50 from over 200 units daily... to less than 40 units twice daily. once i kick the daily intake of wine. i expect this to become non existent. i am not on a mission for complete reversal yet. because i have been a beer drinker since i was 16 years old. not many weeks passed in all that time (65 now) since i did not drink. BUT slowly i am educating myself........ because the last 4 weeks has been a revelation to me. JUST because i can now actually get up and do the things i want to do. It's hard folks. and i will get there. i just wish i had someone to give me the confidence and boost i need to get me there sooner. we need more groups in this country to help people like me. get off their arses and spur them into action. anyone with any nous or spark of imagination to start a course for reprobates like me. i will follow you to the ends of the earth. best wishes to all advocates of low carb. kindest regards Gaz
Just wanted to say a big well done to you Gaz you’ve done amazingly well and shows what can be done even when you have progressed to insulin and been diagnosed for 15 years. I’m sure it’s harder to turn a situation round when you’ve had to deal with it for so long so all credit to you Gaz.
I also wanted to reassure you re the alcohol yes beer - also known as liquid toast - is out for anyone who is carb intolerant like us diabetics but red wine in moderation is fine if you enjoy it. I’ve never given up wine while reducing my hbaca1 from 97 to 30 okay I tend to mainly drink a small glass but I find it has more of an effect as a low carb eater and someone who has lost 5 and a half stone since diagnosis. My way of including alcohol is not drinking two nights and then most nights one small glass of red. If a celebration will have more and also like gin and soda water, prosseco and dry white wine all low carb
You may chose to cut out the wine it’s your decision but just wanted to say I didn’t and don’t think it affected my progress and helped the stress I have as a carer!
Good luck and ask if you need anyone advice. You can always ask a question in your own thread you’ll get lots of replies