A Quiet Celebration And A Question

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I've just had a review with my Diabetes Nurse. I was hoping for a significant drop in that HbA1c – and I wasn't disappointed; it was back in normal range at 35! :D My DN said she had never seen such a speedy and significant drop before. And it also seems (and I'm not sure why) that after an initial HbA1c of 52 in mid April this year, a confirmation HbA1c of 48 a fortnight later, my GP did not code me as anything - neither T2 or Pre diabetic. And now two months later, I still have not even been coded – except perhaps as 'Just another older fat female trying her best'... Does this happen often?

Anyway, the bottom line is that in 3 months I have lost 12kg and reduced my HbA1c from 52 to 35 - and I'm delighted. I've done this by eating no more than 20g carbs a day, 16:8 daily IF and daily walking and with no medication. Of course, the real hard work is still ahead of me - a lot more weight to come off and to keep my blood sugars low. In some ways I see this odd coding issue as positive, but at the same time, it changes nothing for me. I am clearly not able to tolerate a 'lot' of carbs and am feeling so good in other ways (arthritic wrist and knee pain gone, indigestion and heartburn gone) with my keto/low carb life and slowly losing weight, so have no intention of returning to my old way of eating. I will be going back in another 3 months and again at 6 months.

Do you know, I think I might celebrate with a couple of hard boiled eggs and some spinach... ;)
~Heath

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Fantastic Result! Good on'ye!

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very impressive drop. A great result for all your hard work. :)

Reactions: Prem51

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I've just had a review with my Diabetic Nurse. I was hoping for a significant drop in that HbA1c – and I wasn't disappointed; it was back in normal range at 35! :D My DN said she had never seen such a speedy and significant drop before. And it also seems (and I'm not sure why) that after an initial HbA1c of 52 in mid April this year, a confirmation HbA1c of 48 a fortnight later, my GP did not code me as anything - neither T2 or Pre diabetic. And now two months later, I still have not even been coded – except perhaps as 'Just another older fat female trying her best'... Does this happen often?

Anyway, the bottom line is that in 3 months I have lost 12kg and reduced my HbA1c from 52 to 35 - and I'm delighted. I've done this by eating no more than 20g carbs a day, 16:8 daily IF and daily walking and with no medication. Of course, the real hard work is still ahead of me - a lot more weight to come off and to keep my blood sugars low. In some ways I see this odd coding issue as positive, but at the same time, it changes nothing for me. I am clearly not able to tolerate a 'lot' of carbs and am feeling so good in other ways (arthritic wrist and knee pain gone, indigestion and heartburn gone) with my keto/low carb life and slowly losing weight, so have no intention of returning to my old way of eating. I will be going back in another 3 months and again at 6 months.

Do you know, I think I might celebrate with a couple of hard boiled eggs and some spinach... ;)
~Heath

wow well done.... and conratulations what a great character doing only 20 grams of carbs daily... send you my respect :):):)

Reactions: Diabetic46years

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations, it’s a tough road to walk but clearly has had great outcome for you. I suggest...caution to the wind and all that, a lovely omelette with Parmesan and a glass of decent red wine!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I've just had a review with my Diabetic Nurse. I was hoping for a significant drop in that HbA1c – and I wasn't disappointed; it was back in normal range at 35! :D My DN said she had never seen such a speedy and significant drop before. And it also seems (and I'm not sure why) that after an initial HbA1c of 52 in mid April this year, a confirmation HbA1c of 48 a fortnight later, my GP did not code me as anything - neither T2 or Pre diabetic. And now two months later, I still have not even been coded – except perhaps as 'Just another older fat female trying her best'... Does this happen often?

~Heath

A big well done from me liarsdance.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done!
Just a thought though if you haven’t been coded as diabetic which, with initial results of 52 and 48 I feel you should have been, you might miss out on automatic recalls for eye checks feet checks etc...

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant result @liarsdance . Congratulations and well done. :)

However, I agree with @Rachox . You need to press for a diabetic coding if you want to have all the care-pathway stuff such as regular blood tests, eye screening, foot checks etc. particularly the eye screening as they use the codes to recall you each year.

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done!
Just a thought though if you haven’t been coded as diabetic which, with initial results of 52 and 48 I feel you should have been, you might miss out on automatic recalls for eye checks feet checks etc...
thanks for that; I'll discuss with my GP :)

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant result @liarsdance . Congratulations and well done. :)

However, I agree with @Rachox . You need to press for a diabetic coding if you want to have all the care-pathway stuff such as regular blood tests, eye screening, foot checks etc. particularly the eye screening as they use the codes to recall you each year.

thanks for the advice; I'll discuss with my DN/GP

Dark Horse

Agree with @Rachox and @Bluetit1802 re the coding. Because type 2 is slow onset, people can have had it for years before diagnosis during which time damage can occur. Diabetic retinopathy is thought to mirror the diabetic control occurring a couple of years prior and can worsen following a sudden improvement in control. For this reason, the national guidance is that once someone has had a definite diagnosis of diabetes, they should continue to have eye screening for life, even if they are in remission. Efficient recall of patients for screening relies on them being coded correctly.

Reactions: Prem51 and zand

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with @Rachox and @Bluetit1802 re the coding. Because type 2 is slow onset, people can have had it for years before diagnosis during which time damage can occur. Diabetic retinopathy is thought to mirror the diabetic control occurring a couple of years prior and can worsen following a sudden improvement in control. For this reason, the national guidance is that once someone has had a definite diagnosis of diabetes, they should continue to have eye screening for life, even if they are in remission. Efficient recall of patients for screening relies on them being coded correctly.
thank you - I will explore this.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

~Heath
Wow well done you and in a short time too, hoping you enjoy eating the new way as well as appreciating the good health impacts. I’ve now been eating low carb - initially under 20g of carb - and now that I’m in maintenance under 30g of carb for around 11 months and enjoy it so much I really can’t imagine going back to higher carb it suits me and it works.
Please accept a congratulatory hug and pat on the back from me you’re doing really brilliant. Ps I would agree that would be a good idea to get coded so that an eye is kept on you and you can monitor how things are going.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s great news @liarsdance - no need to celebrate quietly, full entitlement to shout loudly! Congratulations!

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow well done you and in a short time too, hoping you enjoy eating the new way as well as appreciating the good health impacts. I’ve now been eating low carb - initially under 20g of carb - and now that I’m in maintenance under 30g of carb for around 11 months and enjoy it so much I really can’t imagine going back to higher carb it suits me and it works.
Please accept a congratulatory hug and pat on the back from me you’re doing really brilliant. Ps I would agree that would be a good idea to get coded so that an eye is kept on you and you can monitor how things are going.
Thank you! This forum has been so supportive :)