Lump Immediately After Injecting

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For the first time I got a nasty bumpy/spongy lump in my stomach immediately after injecting my NovoRapid. It was only 2 units and it also bled. The next few hours will be fun whilst I wait and see if the insulin went in or not.

Is this just "one of those things" and I hit a bad spot, or could this be lipohypertrophy and suggest that I need to be more careful with my cycling of injection sites?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Often have those. Have bruises all over. Suspect your lump will turn into a bruise too. I would think you have just hit a bad spot.

Reactions: Freema

Khushi Nagpal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After repeated injecting at the same site, lumps and ‘sore spots’ start forming. Try to vary the areas you inject on, and see if that helps.

Reactions: Rinki

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @pinewood Sounds like you hit a blood vessel, it's a rare thing but it should subside and shouldn't affect absorption, i'm pretty sure your doing a good job of rotating sites so just avoid this area for a while and keep an eye on your BG levels :)

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For the first time I got a nasty bumpy/spongy lump in my stomach immediately after injecting my NovoRapid. It was only 2 units and it also bled. The next few hours will be fun whilst I wait and see if the insulin went in or not.

Is this just "one of those things" and I hit a bad spot, or could this be lipohypertrophy and suggest that I need to be more careful with my cycling of injection sites?
I've had that happen quite a few times now. I've even posted on here before in a panic when it happened. It always turned out ok. My sugars were fine - I did check more often though after it happened. The lump and bruise I got after took a few days to go away.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Often have those. Have bruises all over. Suspect your lump will turn into a bruise too. I would think you have just hit a bad spot.

20 minutes after I put this reply up. Went and did it whilst injecting my basal. Grrrr.....